Joe Girard is not a PG | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard is not a PG

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that’s a big part of the plan?

If he's not happy being a third guard then fine but it's not crazy to think he would have been a legit part of the rotation. I guess it depends on how you describe big part of the plan. I guess if he wants to start and play 30 and won't accept anything less then he either had to improve or transfer. But, to answer your general question, yes, third guards are a big part of a plan for any team.

If he's not happy being a third guard then fine but it's not crazy to think he would have been a legit part of the rotation. I guess it depends on how you describe big part of the plan. I guess if he wants to start and play 30 and won't accept anything less then he either had to improve or transfer. But, to answer your general question, yes, third guards are a big part of a plan for any team.
In order to be the third guard, he would have had to beat out Richmond. Richmond appears to be a better fit.

Having said that, I think it’s obvious Goodine wasn’t going to be happy as the third guard.

In order to be the third guard, he would have had to beat out Richmond. Richmond appears to be a better fit.

Having said that, I think it’s obvious Goodine wasn’t going to be happy as the third guard.

The second part I can't argue with. It would certainly appear that way. Richmond looks intriguing -- agree with that too. The one thing I think it's hard for kids to see sometimes though is as good as Richmond may look in a highlight reel, he's done zero to earn P/T.

i'll dispute your first premise. i think, regardless of how he was listed, eli was the best point guard on the team and was the de facto pg in more than half of the possessions this season
And this is why we need a grad transfer small forward who can provide perimeter skills to supplement Girard. We might be ok (at least with better depth) inside, but who do we have who can be that point forward?

eli was the best point guard on the team and was the de facto pg in more than half of the possessions this season

I'm remembering the end of the game at FSU when Eli was able to consistently get to the rim at ease with one or two power dribbles from the top of the key.

I don't like having a point guard who can't blow by a defender off the dribble. I think it severely limits our ability to break down a defense. I like Joe a lot and think he can be an excellent player for us, but if given the choice, I would prefer a PG who is more athletic.

I totally agree but JG3 was the "best" option this season.

I'm remembering the end of the game at FSU when Eli was able to consistently get to the rim at ease with one or two power dribbles from the top of the key.

Marek was a contributor as a point forward, can you imagine if he didn't come back next year, Syracuse would be unwatchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom