JoePa biography excerpts | Syracusefan.com

JoePa biography excerpts

NKR1978

Living Legend
http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201209/joe-paterno-scandal-joe-posnanski-book-preview

Apparently he broke down crying several times when he was about to lose his job. With the excerpts you can't tell if you were supposed to feel bad or cheer at reading that.

My only wish for Joe Paterno is that he was alive today to witness his reputation, built on decades of lies and bullshit, be reduced to what it is today. This sums up Joe Paterno, only caring about himself until the very end:

"My name," he told Jay, "I have spent my whole life trying to make that name mean something. And now it's gone."

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201209/joe-paterno-scandal-joe-posnanski-book-preview

Apparently he broke down crying several times when he was about to lose his job. With the excerpts you can't tell if you were supposed to feel bad or cheer at reading that.

My only wish for Joe Paterno is that he was alive today to witness his reputation, built on decades of lies and bullshit, be reduced to what it is today. This sums up Joe Paterno, only caring about himself until the very end:

"My name," he told Jay, "I have spent my whole life trying to make that name mean something. And now it's gone."

And how many children cried because of what happened to them because of him?

How easy it is to anonymously trash someone's life in a few sentences.

The hatred in the post is disconcerting as is the utter lack of empathy for another human being - one who is no longer living.

I just don't have that kind of hatred in me. Sorry.

The hatred in the post is disconcerting as is the utter lack of empathy for another human being - one who is no longer living.

I'll save my empathy for the boys whose lives Joe Paterno had a hand in ruining or altering the course of forever. I truly hope that no one here was a victim or is close to a victim of child molestation, but the long term effects of it really ing suck. Joe is one of many people at PSU who deserve jail, ridicule and hatred for what they failed to do to protect those boys.

It's pathetic that Joe cried over his job. I'm looking forward to reading about the tears he shed for those boys.

He trashed his own life. There's no one else to blame for what happened to his name.

Lack of empathy is the whole reason that this ever happened. This isn't about hatred for me, it's disgust.

I'll save my empathy for the boys whose lives Joe Paterno had a hand in ruining or altering the course of forever. I truly hope that no one here was a victim or is close to a victim of child molestation, but the long term effects of it really ******* suck. Joe is one of many people at PSU who deserve jail, ridicule and hatred for what they failed to do to protect those boys.

Yeah, have to agree. I have a hard time feeling empathy for a man who cared more about his name than young boys being raped.

i don't have much empathy for people who cover up child rape

What a terrifying post.

We are now supposed to have empathy for a man who looked the other way as children were being raped. Then cried about HIS NAME.

I've seen it all.

I wish he was still alive so that he would be able to experience the backlash for his horrific actions and the "utter lack of empathy" he showed to those other human beings that were raped. I wish he was still alive so he could be sent to prison to spend the rest of his days. I wish he actually cared about those children, but he didn't, so I have no empathy for him. He is the epitome of a piece of sh-t and I hope he rots in the ground.

I do. I have hatred in my heart for people that cause utter life changing pain in another person's life. And for people that help cover it up. I hope he burns in hell.

What a terrifying post.

We are now supposed to have empathy for a man who looked the other way as children were being raped. Then cried about HIS NAME.

I've seen it all.

The problem is that none of you knows all the facts -with respect to Paterno.

None of you knows exactly what Paterno knew or understood or remembered at his age.

I don't either.

I just don't know for certain that Joe Paterno knew that "children were being raped."

Maybe he did. And if he did, shame on him. But, at this point I just don't know for sure what he knew or how it registered with him.

I suspect that there is far more gray to the story of Joe Paterno and the administrators than there is black and white.

I know. I know. It is "terrifying" that somebody might raise questions - or that somebody might express empathy for another in a bad situation or that that somebody might want to know more before completely castigating a man who up to ten months ago was viewed as a model human being.

That kind of thinking is not allowed on this board.

Indeed, regardless of Paterno I find the ease with which so many of you generate "hate" for people and things remarkable - whether it's a coach, a writer, a poster or an institution. I just don't see pure evil very often. It is normally not quite that simple.

I am sorry that that perspective bothers so many of you. But, if it makes you feel better go ahead, really let me have it.

There are enough of us here that are a certain age and grew up in certain places that were told - stay away from that guy, make sure that guy doesn't coach you, keep away from that teacher, etc...are those people the same as Joe Pa?

The thing no one will ever know is how this registered in Paterno's head.

None of you knows exactly what Paterno knew or understood or remembered at his age.

I don't either.

I just don't know for certain that Joe Paterno knew that "children were being raped."

Maybe he did. And if he did, shame on him. But, at this point I just don't know for sure what he knew or how it registered with him.

I suspect that there is far more gray to the story of Joe Paterno and the administrators than there is black and white.

I know. I know. It is "terrifying" that somebody might raise questions - or that somebody might express empathy for another in a bad situation or that that somebody might want to know more before completely castigating a man who up to ten months ago was viewed as a model human being.

Indeed, regardless of Paterno I find the ease with which so many of you generate "hate" for people and things remarkable - whether it's a coach, a writer, a poster or an institution. I just don't see pure evil very often. It is normally not quite that simple.

I am sorry that that perspective bothers so many of you. But, if it makes you feel better go ahead, really let me have it.
Get over yourself. You are not on the high ground. Pretty clear joe knew what happened in that shower or else he didn't want to know. And his model human being was a myth.

I don't either.

He lied about not knowing about the 98 case until the day he died. If it makes you feel better to not realize 1+1=2, go for it.

None of you knows exactly what Paterno knew or understood or remembered at his age. I don't either. I just don't know for certain that Joe Paterno knew that "children were being raped." Maybe he did. And if he did, shame on him. But, at this point I just don't know for sure what he knew or how it registered with him. I suspect that there is far more gray to the story of Joe Paterno and the administrators than there is black and white. I know. I know. It is "terrifying" that somebody might raise questions - or that somebody might express empathy for another in a bad situation or that that somebody might want to know more before completely castigating a man who up to ten months ago was viewed as a model human being. That kind of thinking is not allowed on this board. Indeed, regardless of Paterno I find the ease with which so many of you generate "hate" for people and things remarkable - whether it's a coach, a writer, a poster or an institution. I just don't see pure evil very often. It is normally not quite that simple. I am sorry that that perspective bothers so many of you. But, if it makes you feel better go ahead, really let me have it.

I don't agree with you often...but I agree with you here. You're the board's John Adams...

Maybe he did. And if he did, shame on him.

I disagree so vehemently with your posts in this thread I wouldn't be able to maintain civility in the language I used to go through point by point in response.

But I just want to point out this comment that I quoted. "Maybe he did. And if he did, shame on him."

Oh yes, SHAME ON HIM.

That is what they say to a child who calls another child a mean name. "Shame on you Timmy, you know calling Nate a dummy is not nice".

This is all I need to know about your view on this subject.

That is your response if he was willfully ignorant and an enabler of a serial child rapist, "shame on him". Enabling a pedophile to serially and molest young boys, shame on him.

There are enough of us here that are a certain age and grew up in certain places that were told - stay away from that guy, make sure that guy doesn't coach you, keep away from that teacher, etc...are those people the same as Joe Pa?

The thing no one will ever know is how this registered in Paterno's head.

My father was born in a 3rd world country in 1939, which makes him older now than Paterno was in 1998 and 2001. I guarantee he understands children being raped and rape in general. Joe Paterno was a sophisticated man. He went to Brown. Considered himself and presented himself as well read. I just don't buy the image that he was an old man from a "simpler" time who just couldn't understand our crazy modern world. And even if there was a relaxed attitude toward kiddie rape among people of a certain age, there was certainly enough information about it by the late 90's where society had changed.

JoePa revealed a rather lackadaisical attitude toward sexual assault in general though:

Paterno's remarks came a day before the Orange Bowl, when a reporter asked about Florida State linebacker A.J. Nicholson, who was accused of sexual assault and sent home before Tuesday's game.

Paterno replied by talking about past suspensions of Penn State players. He then added: "There's some tough - there's so many people gravitating to these kids. He may not have even known what he was getting into, Nicholson. They knock on the door; somebody may knock on the door; a cute girl knocks on the door. What do you do?

"Geez. I hope - thank God they don't knock on my door because I'd refer them to a couple of other rooms," Paterno continued. "But that's too bad. You hate to see that. I really do. You like to see a kid end up his football career. He's a heck of a football player, by the way; he's a really good football player. And it's just too bad."

I don't think Vicky Triponey viewed him as a model human being until 10 months ago. And if he couldn't understand the implications of what was going on around him, he should have retired long ago. It's part of the job.

And now I'm going to get alerts for the rest of the comments on this thread. Oh great!

My father was born in a 3rd world country in 1939, which makes him older now than Paterno was in 1998 and 2001. I guarantee he understands children being raped and rape in general. Joe Paterno was a sophisticated man. He went to Brown. Considered himself and presented himself as well read. I just don't buy the image that he was an old man from a "simpler" time who just couldn't understand our crazy modern world. And even if there was a relaxed attitude toward kiddie rape among people of a certain age, there was certainly enough information about it by the late 90's where society had changed.

JoePa revealed a rather lackadaisical attitude toward sexual assault in general though:

Paterno's remarks came a day before the Orange Bowl, when a reporter asked about Florida State linebacker A.J. Nicholson, who was accused of sexual assault and sent home before Tuesday's game.

Paterno replied by talking about past suspensions of Penn State players. He then added: "There's some tough - there's so many people gravitating to these kids. He may not have even known what he was getting into, Nicholson. They knock on the door; somebody may knock on the door; a cute girl knocks on the door. What do you do?

"Geez. I hope - thank God they don't knock on my door because I'd refer them to a couple of other rooms," Paterno continued. "But that's too bad. You hate to see that. I really do. You like to see a kid end up his football career. He's a heck of a football player, by the way; he's a really good football player. And it's just too bad."

The quote you gave shows how unsophisticated Paterno may have been. He grew up in Brooklyn (in what I assume was an old school Italian Catholic upbringing) and spent 50 years in the middle of nowhere PA all around football.

It's easy for me because I considered JoePa to be a liar and a hypocrite even before any of this.

Let me add that anyone who works around kids is counseled in regards to sexual assault, rape, etc. In fact it was probably a topic for team education. Joe Pa knew exactly what was going on. I respect your opinions OPA. But on this one I think it's pretty clear.

There are some sad responses in this thread. How anyone at this point still thinks Pedterno knew nothing is beyond me. Forget the emails. This is a man that for decades WAS PedSt football. He WAS Happy Valley. He was the man that was quoted by players as having known if someone so much as urinated in public after drinking. This man knew EVERYTHING that had ANYTHING to do with the program.

Now there are still people, who after having seen proof and read court accepted testimony that child rape occurred for at least 2 decades and allegations of as many as 4 decades, that can say he might not have known?? Even though the proof shows it occurred in his football facilities, his showers, on his bowl trips in his team hotel? Really? He knew nothing ALL those years? He even lied about 1998 and that was proven.

For decades he knew about players pissing on a tree but not about a coach raping a kid in his shower. Sure.

I never wish death on anyone but I was glad to see he cried and felt some personal anguish. He deserved what little punishment he got by being fired. I hope he cried and felt pained every day until he died. He sure as hell wasn't crying for the boys he allowed to be raped.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

What a terrifying post.

I've seen it all.

Unfortunately, you may not have heard it all yet - stay tuned.

The quote you gave shows how unsophisticated Paterno may have been. He grew up in Brooklyn (in what I assume was an old school Italian Catholic upbringing) and spent 50 years in the middle of nowhere PA all around football.

joe acted like the amish would act when incest occured in their communties, you turned a blind eye to it,and if they raised the issue again you just shun them.

F' Joe Pa and anyone who still defends him.

The man aided and abetted a pedophile. Nuff said. If you defend him or those actions then its time to take a long look in the mirror at yourself and maybe seek help.