JoePa biography excerpts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JoePa biography excerpts

How easy it is to anonymously trash someone's life in a few sentences.

The hatred in the post is disconcerting as is the utter lack of empathy for another human being - one who is no longer living.

I just don't have that kind of hatred in me. Sorry.

I'll double my hatred to compensate for you.

I don't agree with you often...but I agree with you here. You're the board's John Adams...

Wrong. Adams believed in there being a correct process. What Paterno did has to do with morality. Two very very different things.

There are some sad responses in this thread. How anyone at this point still thinks Pedterno knew nothing is beyond me. Forget the emails. This is a man that for decades WAS PedSt football. He WAS Happy Valley. He was the man that was quoted by players as having known if someone so much as urinated in public after drinking. This man knew EVERYTHING that had ANYTHING to do with the program.

Now there are still people, who after having seen proof and read court accepted testimony that child rape occurred for at least 2 decades and allegations of as many as 4 decades, that can say he might not have known?? Even though the proof shows it occurred in his football facilities, his showers, on his bowl trips in his team hotel? Really? He knew nothing ALL those years? He even lied about 1998 and that was proven.

For decades he knew about players pissing on a tree but not about a coach raping a kid in his shower. Sure.

I never wish death on anyone but I was glad to see he cried and felt some personal anguish. He deserved what little punishment he got by being fired. I hope he cried and felt pained every day until he died. He sure as hell wasn't crying for the boys he allowed to be raped.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I know you have been all over this since day one and I'm not real sure of your motivation but I am glad that you have stayed on top of this. It was pretty obvious the way this story unfolded that Sandusky was 100% guilty. We never will learn the entire true story, but I have a hard time agreeing with anyone who thinks there is even a one percent chance that Paterno was not in the loop. It's just not possible. I'm sorry Paterno died because it would have been great to see him along with the others in the court of law when these civil trials against the school happens. However, that's another topic since the school is just going to write a lot of big checks.

From Blackshoediaries.com - PSU's SB Nation blog:
:bang:
Jesus wept.

That is all.
"Make haste to reassure us, I beg you, and tell us that our fellow citizens understand us, support us, and protect us as we ourselves are protecting the glory of the Empire.
"If it should be otherwise, if we should have to leave our bleached bones on these desert sands in vain, then beware the fury of the Legions."

by PSU_Lions_84 on Aug 15, 2012 2:45 PM EDT reply 1 recs

This is horrible.

Joe Paterno didn’t deserve any of this.
by mykonehusker on Aug 15, 2012 4:10 PM EDT reply 1 recs

The hatred in the post is disconcerting as is the utter lack of empathy for another human being - one who is no longer living.

OPa, I genuinely enjoy reading your posts, but on this one I disagree. I don't recall where Dante put him, but surely he's down there somewhere. Sandusky is probably being chewed on by Satan, or frozen up to his eyeballs. Maybe Paterno is back up where the Harpies are picking the tree people apart. Or maybe he is sitting outside the gates of Dis with the unbaptized children. Richly deserved, in any event.

He knew. When three people come to you and say "we need to turn this guy in" and you convince them not to, you are wholly taking on the ramifications of that decision.

If that means you die a broken and disgraced man, so be it.

I wonder who cried more JoePa or any one of the young boys raped by Sandusky.

He knew. When three people come to you and say "we need to turn this guy in" and you convince them not to, you are wholly taking on the ramifications of that decision.

If that means you die a broken and disgraced man, so be it.

I wonder who cried more JoePa or any one of the young boys raped by Sandusky.
the kids.

OrangePA, I wonder if you would feel differently if it was your child who was molested, raped and ruined long after Joe Paterno could have prevented it.
Would you still feel empathy for Paterno?

OPA - as i have said before, it is very altruistic of you that you always defend the coach, the conference, or random Big East teams past and present.

But wow, you may have gone too far with your defense of this pathetic human being.

Give me a freaking break. Maybe if that sawed off little troll had been less concerned about protecting his reputation, as evidenced by the following quote...

"My name," he told Jay, "I have spent my whole life trying to make that name mean something. And now it's gone."

...he wouldn't have lost perspective and been more inclined to do the right thing instead of placing his program and self-interests above children who were being sexually abused. All he had to do was the right thing, and all of this could have been avoided.

Paterno can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. His name...he singlehandedly fostered a "see no evil" environment where a predator he unequivocally knew was molesting children continued to use PedSt facilities to score victims for more than a decade, and his dying regret was about how his legacy was being dragged through the mud.

photo.php

The problem is that none of you knows all the facts -with respect to Paterno.

None of you knows exactly what Paterno knew or understood or remembered at his age.

I don't either.

I just don't know for certain that Joe Paterno knew that "children were being raped."

Maybe he did. And if he did, shame on him. But, at this point I just don't know for sure what he knew or how it registered with him.

I suspect that there is far more gray to the story of Joe Paterno and the administrators than there is black and white.

I know. I know. It is "terrifying" that somebody might raise questions - or that somebody might express empathy for another in a bad situation or that that somebody might want to know more before completely castigating a man who up to ten months ago was viewed as a model human being.

That kind of thinking is not allowed on this board.

Indeed, regardless of Paterno I find the ease with which so many of you generate "hate" for people and things remarkable - whether it's a coach, a writer, a poster or an institution. I just don't see pure evil very often. It is normally not quite that simple.

I am sorry that that perspective bothers so many of you. But, if it makes you feel better go ahead, really let me have it.

There's a little bit of irony in this post in that JoePa's entire legacy was built upon black and white -- PedSt's unis and all.

But there are parts of your post that I get. I mean, there almost certainly is gray area -- discussions we aren't privvy to, documents we haven't seen, stories distorted by their re-telling, etc.

I also believe it's generally ugly to revel in someone else's misfortune or to presume to know whether someone is in hell or not (or if hell even exists).

I also met JoePa and will say he seemed to be a genuinely charming person.

But, where I think you're getting so much pushback are in these areas:

-- We may not know everything, but there seems to be a pretty good mountain of evidence that at the bare minimum JoePa had to have some very, very, very serious suspicions yet did little to dig into them. Did he actively cover things up? I believe so, but even if you don't believe that, JoePa himself is on record saying he "didn't know what to do" and "wished he had handled it differently." (paraphrasing)

-- When confronted with the enormity of the whole thing, JoePa still appears particularly concerned with his rep and the rep of the program. I'm in sales. I get competitive about it and want to do well. I work hard. I like to think I'm pretty good at it (debatable). But when something happens to one of my kids or my wife or a close friend or family member, it automatically reminds how stupid it is to worry too much about what medical equipment facilities choose to use. That seems to be something JoePa didn't really have.

-- JoePa's family to this day appears farm more concerned with wins and legacies than atonement and at least appearing contrite. Going to rub people the wrong way.

-- The hate posters have -- myself probably included -- is ugly, but this is child rape we're talking about. Not sure if you have kids or not, but it's pretty tough with three kids 6 and under not to look at this situation and just abhor a guy who didn't try to help kids out. Hard not to think of your own kids and get emotional about it.

Joe Po$nan$ki has some impeccable timing. What a lucky ba$tard. Cha-ching!

I just don't know for certain that Joe Paterno knew that "children were being raped."

Maybe he did. And if he did, shame on him. But, at this point I just don't know for sure what he knew or how it registered with him.

I suspect that there is far more gray to the story of Joe Paterno and the administrators than there is black and white.

When an assistant coach comes up to you and tells you he saw a little boy being raped in the shower by your former assistant coach, one would think that a person who went to Brown could comprehend that sentence. Maybe admissions standards back then weren't what they are today but I'm pretty sure a 1st grade comprehension level was a minimum requirement.