John Fienstein on Maryland Hire of Durkin | Syracusefan.com

John Fienstein on Maryland Hire of Durkin

Townie72

All American
Maryland's situation isn't all that different from SU's.

Fienstein, a bright light among sports writers, seems to feel that MD couldn't have attracted Babers. And that Durkin was the best of the lot that would consider going to Maryland.

His final point is that this hiring of new coaches is a crap shoot. Sometimes it works, Sometimes it doesn't.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...743e34-9981-11e5-8917-653b65c809eb_story.html

Maryland's situation isn't all that different from SU's.

Fienstein, a bright light among sports writers, seems to feel that MD couldn't have attracted Babers. And that Durkin was the best of the lot that would consider going to Maryland.

His final point is that this hiring of new coaches is a crap shoot. Sometimes it works, Sometimes it doesn't.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...743e34-9981-11e5-8917-653b65c809eb_story.html

I despise nothing more then when i am in a meeting at work and some schlub states the obvious, "Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt"

both maryland and buttgers are screwed just being in that division. huge challenge for a coach to get those teams good while having to navigate the michigan state, ohio state, michigan, penn state gauntlet every year.

It's one thing to have 2 baked in losses every year, it's another to be facing 4.

So on Saturday (or Sunday or Monday or Tuesday or 2018), we'll find out that the SU job is more attractive than the Maryland job?

I love Feinstein, I read his books, like when he pops on the radio with Mr. Tony, really smart guy and great writer. Having said that, often times in his columns, his style is to be doom and gloom under the guise of being realistic.

I despise nothing more then when i am in a meeting at work and some schlub states the obvious, "Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt"
"It is what it is."
th

Well, if you take the temperature of this board, I think you'll find a lot of unfounded optimism ... especially when they were on the warpath to fire HCSS.

SU is exactly where Fienstein says Maryland was on this. Not a good enough job to attract the top talent, The list of "candidates we would like to have" is longer than the list of "those who would take the job".

Now as to the "schlub" comment. Back-benchers in the meetings I attended were frequently upset that there wasn't clarity in any situation or in any decision.

Not different, besides having more booster cash and being in a region exponentially more fertile with talent.

That was my reaction too. If Maryland has trouble replacing RE, than so will we.

And you are right, The Terrapin Club dwarfs the Orange Pack. Maryland is a large school and it's alumni live in the local area.

And you could have a pretty good team if you just used the players from the county (Prince George's) Maryland sits in.

Well, if you take the temperature of this board, I think you'll find a lot of unfounded optimism ... especially when they were on the warpath to fire HCSS.

SU is exactly where Fienstein says Maryland was on this. Not a good enough job to attract the top talent, The list of "candidates we would like to have" is longer than the list of "those who would take the job".

Now as to the "schlub" comment. Back-benchers in the meetings I attended were frequently upset that there wasn't clarity in any situation or in any decision.

I listened to Junior on the ride in this AM. He basically said UMD has 4 losses every season, maybe when one of those schools has a down year they can catch them. Laughed at their crossover game - lose Iowa, get Nebraska on the road. Said it's exponentially easier to win in the ACC than where Maryland sits in the B1G.

So on Saturday (or Sunday or Monday or Tuesday or 2018), we'll find out that the SU job is more attractive than the Maryland job?

I love Feinstein, I read his books, like when he pops on the radio with Mr. Tony, really smart guy and great writer. Having said that, often times in his columns, his style is to be doom and gloom under the guise of being realistic.

Well, if we do get a more highly-prized HC than UMD, it suggests that this person knows more or thinks he knows more than the rest of us who are watching from the outside.

That was my reaction too. If Maryland has trouble replacing RE, than so will we.

And you are right, The Terrapin Club dwarfs the Orange Pack. Maryland is a large school and it's alumni live in the local area.

And you could have a pretty good team if you just used the players from the county (Prince George's) Maryland sits in.

You're making a good case why Maryland never should've left.

Townie72 said:
Well, if you take the temperature of this board, I think you'll find a lot of unfounded optimism ... especially when they were on the warpath to fire HCSS. SU is exactly where Fienstein says Maryland was on this. Not a good enough job to attract the top talent, The list of "candidates we would like to have" is longer than the list of "those who would take the job". Now as to the "schlub" comment. Back-benchers in the meetings I attended were frequently upset that there wasn't clarity in any situation or in any decision.

I'd rather have Babers than Richt, Muschamp, Brohm. There's only a handful of schools getting the Sabans, Meyers of the world.

Most here would have rather had Babers than Frost.

I don't know where Babers was on Coyles list.

Townie72 said:
Well, if we do get a more highly-prized HC than UMD, it suggests that this person knows more or thinks he knows more than the rest of us who are watching from the outside.

I think that's exactly what he believes. Meaningful change requires this belief.

None of what you're saying i disagree with. Its the fact that the "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt" statement is obvious. Its like, no ish sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. Its not even worth wasting your breath. And statements like that are generally made by schlubs who offer ZERO VALUE to the task at hand, and feel the need to be heard in a meeting to justify their presence and salary for being there.

Of course.

Maryland leaving the ACC for the B1G was akin to borrowing money from the Mob. The Maryland Law that prohibits the use of General Fund money for Athletics created this situation.

They needed the money, period. Every other reason they might have pointed to staying in the ACC.

I'll guarantee you a lot of Terp fans were sick to their stomachs watching the BB game against UNC the other night.

So now they are getting the bigger bucks, but Louie (OSU), and Geno (Mich) and Fatso (PSU are looking for the payback.

Coaches come in all flavors. So picking the right type of guy for the right type of job is fluid. An offensive minded head coach like Babers might look at the Dome, and that most of our opponents are below that magical Mason-Dixon line and think that he has a better shot to run his offense. Versus Maryland who plays outside and plays in the Big 10 east.

Maybe Babers isn't as good a fit for Maryland because of that and he knows it. Could they pay him more? Sure. But making $2M in Syracuse for 5 years, and only upward from there if you're as good as you think you are (like most coaches think), he'll put enough food on the table.

It's just not as black and white as saying who is the better job, and who can't get which coach.

Umm, If I'm a head coach - I'm going straight to UA and telling them to make this a job I want. Maryland should be 1 of the top 10 or even 5 sought after jobs in the country. Think Oregon with better recruiting grounds and better alums.

That is 100% true. The only sure bet's of the last 10-15- 20 years were Saban at Bama and Meyer at OSU. And keep in mind Saban at LSU and Meyer at Florida were purposely omitted from that statement.

They basically had to leave. Like Rutgers, they had to take the Big Ten cash to stay in business. Their athletic department finances were a mess despite some high dollar donors.

And one other point in this is that our AD is widely viewed as an asset in this search (and our Chancellor too). Not sure the same can be said for the Terps AD, Kevin Anderson. I think he is under fire there, and honestly, I think some of it has to do with their decision to move to the B1G, which everyone knows has relegated them to a 4th, 5th or 6th place finish every year in that division.

Umm, If I'm a head coach - I'm going straight to UA and telling them to make this a job I want. Maryland should be 1 of the top 10 or even 5 sought after jobs in the country. Think Oregon with better recruiting grounds and better alums.
Unless and until Kevin Plank demonstrably opens his wallet for a coach :eek::eek:"UA Money":eek::eek: is just a fictitious term to be thrown around on message boards. He's giving $25MM to the conversion of Cole Field House into their IPF, but has shown no inclination to shell out any money for coaches. Otherwise we'd be discussing why they fired Mike Leach who replaced The Fridge and how lucky they were not to have had to settle on hiring an unknown like Turgeon at ATM to replace Gary Williams instead of the superstud they have now.

... Their athletic department finances were a mess despite some high dollar donors.
The finances and management of UMd as a whole are major disaster areas, not just the athletic department's.

I believe that the SU job is a better job than the MD job for a number of reasons

MD has never been a football school.

It does not have the football legacy that we have.

I believe that the SU job is a better job than the MD job for a number of reasons

MD has never been a football school.

It does not have the football legacy that we have.

Come on.

Yeah. OrangePA is definitely stretching on that one.

SU was once a football school. So were Penn and Army.

Townie, if you change your mind about Georgetown and buy your squash and kale from the Takoma farmer's market early, let us know!

That is 100% true. The only sure bet's of the last 10-15- 20 years were Saban at Bama and Meyer at OSU. And keep in mind Saban at LSU and Meyer at Florida were purposely omitted from that statement.

Agree 100%. The Under Armour component is huge. Same with Oklahoma St with the T Boone Pickens cash. These schools should be like Oregon every season.