John Robertson was a 2 star! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

John Robertson was a 2 star!

The overstatement of his ability is mind boggling. He was ok at best. I mean I have heard him described as ridiculous. Watch some of the others we get to play this year...lol

I heard a comparison to Johnny Manziel. I didn't see it. He's a tough, agile but not fast running QB who can throw short passes accurately. A good college QB but not an NFL prospect. I think he'd play QB here and might even start but he wouldn't be a Heisman candidate or close to it.

SyracuseMiami said:
Mike Williams was a 2 star as well. Not saying Robertson deserved to be higher, but the system isn't perfect.

The system may not be perfect, but the "experts" certainly were wrong. Those experts, the college coaches, missed too. Why didn't Marrone recruit Robertson?

You guys kill me. Reality is that if Robertson was at SU he would be playing WR or DB. He's very good FCS QB who had a good day against a bad defense. He's experienced and confident. He might play QB at a few P5 schools but at most he would have had to switch positions.

Bull. Kid can play QB in college. Forget NFL potential, he's a very good college QB.

The system may not be perfect, but the "experts" certainly were wrong. Those experts, the college coaches, missed too. Why didn't Marrone recruit Robertson?
It seems that Doug Marrone for SU football serves the same purpose as GW serves for politics for a certain segment of the fanbase. That would be termed , " The Whipping Boy".

Gee, all I was pointing out is that he was a Rivals 2 star and somehow he got elevated to Johnny Football! Wow.

he ain't a has been he's a never was!
replace04.jpg

CousCuse said:
It seems that Doug Marrone for SU football serves the same purpose as GW serves for politics for a certain segment of the fanbase. That would be termed , " The Whipping Boy".

Wasn't picking on Marrone, just that he was our coach. I could have mentioned 120 other coaches.

CIL said:
Bull. Kid can play QB in college. Forget NFL potential, he's a very good college QB.

I'm somewhere in the middle. He certainly has some juke and makes people miss. But he only averaged a little over 3 ypc. He didn't beat us running the ball. What he did was turn a 4 yard loss into a 3 yard gain. Our missed tackles certainly helped too but since he does it against others, he gets some of the credit.

You guys kill me. Reality is that if Robertson was at SU he would be playing WR or DB. He's very good FCS QB who had a good day against a bad defense. He's experienced and confident. He might play QB at a few P5 schools but at most he would have had to switch positions.
I can only assume that you were unable to watch the game. Robertson is far better than any quarterback on our roster. It may be true that GM would put him at WR but to me his talent at QB at the collegiate level is undeniable. We have a good defense and time and time again I saw him run around our highly regarded linebackers like they had concrete shoes on. His passes were on the money and catchable. I don't know what else you would want in a quarterback.

Just throwing this out there. If you could choose, who would you pick to QB your D1 team, Robertson or Nick Montana from Tulane?

Just throwing this out there. If you could choose, who would you pick to QB your D1 team, Robertson or Nick Montana from Tulane?

Joe Montana

I can only assume that you were unable to watch the game. Robertson is far better than any quarterback on our roster. It may be true that GM would put him at WR but to me his talent at QB at the collegiate level is undeniable. We have a good defense and time and time again I saw him run around our highly regarded linebackers like they had concrete shoes on. His passes were on the money and catchable. I don't know what else you would want in a quarterback.
That's what I observed as well. I know how good of athletes we have at linebacker , several have some chance at the NFL, and he out ran them and put moves on them that had to shock them . I came to the conclusion that he is all that , but our fans enjoy dumping on the team and coaches than giving a great player credit.

I watched Robertson play once in HS. He rushed for 262 yards and 7 TDs and passed for 328 yards and 1 TD in that one game. He doesn't have the size or arm strength of a big D1 recruit, but the kid can play.

Highlights of that game are here:
He benches 265.

That's what I observed as well. I know how good of athletes we have at linebacker , several have some chance at the NFL, and he out ran them and put moves on them that had to shock them . I came to the conclusion that he is all that , but our fans enjoy dumping on the team and coaches than giving a great player credit.

I'm not dumping on Robertson, but I seriously cannot believe that he's the best QB (not named Winston) that SU will see this year. That's not taking credit from him for a solid performance, but let's be realistic here.

Conv
Kid could play, but I would have liked to see what he would do against a P5 defense that didn't allow him to break containment by blitzing every play, and put a spy on him. We certainly helped make him look like a poor man's Tim Tebow.
Conversely, what would he do with a P5 offense?