John Wallace: Big man coach? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

John Wallace: Big man coach?

Ok, Pfister, do you think we need a big man coach? Any ideas?

So we had the same big man coach for 35 years we have replaced him with a man who is 6" taller and 13 months you guys are looking to replacement because he is too short and played guard. This happens to be the same coach who is contractually obligated to be our Head Coach when JB retired. If he can't coach big men which is a ridiculous notice but let's assume it is true he will be our HC in the near future shouldn't be put in a position where he will learn as much as possible?

So we had the same big man coach for 35 years we have replaced him with a man who is 6" taller and 13 months you guys are looking to replacement because he is too short and played guard. This happens to be the same coach who is contractually obligated to be our Head Coach when JB retired. If he can't coach big men which is a ridiculous notice but let's assume it is true he will be our HC in the near future shouldn't be put in a position where he will learn as much as possible?
I just suggested someone new tutor our bigs, not replace or demote Hop.

I just suggested someone new tutor our bigs, not replace or demote Hop.

Ok but it's been 13-14 months he watch Bernie for 15 years...its not rocket science post moves are about repetition. I see improvement with Rak and DC2 is just a freshmen. Sometimes it isn't someones fault it just takes time.

Big men's games are pretty basic, for the most part. Any competent coach should be able to teach the basics-medium level skills, regardless of what his position was or if he even played at a high level. VanGundy's were both mediocre low level players but very good NBA coaches.

That's fair, my point is we have a ton of great former bigs, why not use those resources?

That's fair, my point is we have a ton of great former bigs, why not use those resources?

I think we do they are just no official coaches. I know Bouie use to tutor bigs back in the day I'm sure it still goes on.

Do you really think our current coaching staff doesn't do all of these things?

I know this sounds cliche' but JB didn't win 904 games without knowing how to use the resources he has available to him. If he thought he needed a tall coach to coach the big men we'd have one.

I know this sounds cliche' but JB didn't win 904 games without knowing how to use the resources he has available to him. If he thought he needed a tall coach to coach the big men we'd have one.

Well we do have 4 loses in the last year and a half so he is not doing something right! :rolleyes:

Guy, I'm concerned with the lack of development from our bigs and m looking for answers. That is all.

please name some examples of good big men coaches who were big men? seriously do they exist?

Most NBA teams have real "big men" as there big man coach. Herb Williams for the Knicks, Pat Ewing worked with Dwight Howard for years. Kevin Mchale and Phil Jackson were PFs.

I posted something similar in another thread. I know some people on this board think Hop does a good job with our big men, but I'm of the opinion that having an actual "big man" coach our big men may be in order. Why not John Wallace?

He's retired. He was at Midnight Madness two years ago. He was at our game yesterday. He improved a great deal at Syracuse. He's played in Final Four pressure. He had a nice NBA career.

He's one of my favorite all-time Orangemen.

What say you?

I agree we need someone. I don't think Wallace is ideal. He wasn't really a post player.

I also don't quite understand the assertion that "Hop does a good job with our big men." Based on what? There's no way to quantify his contribution, nor contrast it with an alternative. Sounds like optimism. I'm quite fond of Hopkins, but I'd much rather have someone who played the position at the college/pro level to impart practical knowledge. Even if it's just for recruiting or other intangible benefits.

We are also accustomed to seeing forwards not have breakout sophomore seasons-------JS among others.

AO coming in and working with the point guards is a silly comparison at best.

Because someone was good at his position does not mean he will be good teaching/supervising others like him. A great illustration in business is promoting your best salesman to sales manager. More often than not, a grand example of the Peter Principle. One step beyond their ability.

My point is Hop has been with the program, JB and Bernie long enough to do a good job with the big men. We're talking about coaching experience which the people sitting on the bench with JB have.

JS plays like a guard on offense.

Only as silly as you playing the "logic" card.

Say whatever you want about Hop (and I'm all for him taking over for JB when the time comes), but this alleged experience with big men isn't translating right now. There's no way around that.

Big men's games are pretty basic, for the most part. Any competent coach should be able to teach the basics-medium level skills, regardless of what his position was or if he even played at a high level. VanGundy's were both mediocre low level players but very good NBA coaches.

If that's the case, then you're basically saying that what we're seeing with Christmas is what we're going to get.

He's not going to fire anyone from the current staff. And Hop's had the one offseason to work with Christmas. We might see something different next summer. Not a coaching change, but a guru as some have suggested.

I did expect more from you than quoting a win total as some sort of proof that SU has a good bigs coach. It's not cliche, it's irrelevant. How do you know JB/Hop wouldn't like a different bigs coach? GMac was hired in the wake of the Bernie fiasco. The current staff seems way too guard heavy. Hop's emphasis should be on learning how to run the overall team, and recruiting, not learning how to teach the bigs. And it seems like that is what he has been doing to the expense of the bigs development. SU appears to be paying the short term price.

And for the people who would like to see a designated bigs coach, JW does seem to offer a lot. Good Alum, a past pro, an Upstate guy. Could be a destination job type (he could be Hop's sidekick for decades). True, he doesn't have coaching experience (although neither did GMac). Seems like a candidate that should be in the mix when the opportunity arises.

If GMac is able to find a promotion somewhere this Spring, it could be a win/win situation for him and the SU bball program. The statement that GMac is rounding into a great recruiter, and the implication that JW couldn't, is bunk. It is my opinion that JW is a very personable guy and is a good suggestion that could offer a lot to the staff. I would be thrilled with the hire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom