Johnny Football's stock is falling | Syracusefan.com

Johnny Football's stock is falling

dinosaurbbq

2nd String
Texas aTm's new QB, Kenny Hill, in his first career start throws 44 of 60 for a record 511 yards and 3 TD's to win at South Carolina 52-28. Is Hill just plain awesome or was Johnny's success attributable to an incredible offensive scheme? Johnny certainly made some incredibly exciting plays, mostly evading the rush to throw long passes, but this first start ever for Kenny Hill likely points to the offensive scheme being responsible for Johnny Manzeil's excellent numbers. If Johnny goes on to have a solid pro career, we'll know he earned what has come his way. If he doesn't, I won't be surprised at all.

Kevin Sumlin can make any good QB look special; Case Keenum, Johnny Manziel, and now Kenny Hill. I'm just glad I don't have to eat crow about claiming this when Manziel started to tear it up.

I think they're both awesome.

That said, can you imagine how great it will be if we become a program where people question if the QBs are actually any good or if it's just the offensive scheme?

Manziel ran 4 times for 55 yds tonight and threw one TD. Kevin sumlin is a big part of qb success at A & M. He will be coaching in the the NFL someday soon.

Texas aTm's new QB, Kenny Hill, in his first career start throws 44 of 60 for a record 511 yards and 3 TD's to win at South Carolina 52-28. Is Hill just plain awesome or was Johnny's success attributable to an incredible offensive scheme? Johnny certainly made some incredibly exciting plays, mostly evading the rush to throw long passes, but this first start ever for Kenny Hill likely points to the offensive scheme being responsible for Johnny Manzeil's excellent numbers. If Johnny goes on to have a solid pro career, we'll know he earned what has come his way. If he doesn't, I won't be surprised at all.
Good QBs want to play for Sumlin

A few years ago, I wondered if he was riding Holgorsen's coattails at Houston or wherever it was. Guys who know defense or O Line that drink the kool aid about offense are the best mix of meathead where you need a meathead and nerd where you need a nerd

Sumlin is first and foremost a fantastic QB coach and secondly a master of an offense that puts QB's in positions to succeed. It is a little of both in terms of is it the system or the QB. Manziel will be a serviceable QB in the NFL if he maintains discipline and uses his running ability to complement an efficient passing game. Manziel doesn't have to be Peyton Manning in terms of being a highly effective pocket passer because with his athletic ability he will keep defenses honest and open up a lot of opportunities in the mid range. The problem is, I do not think Manziel can maintain that discipline. Basically, I believe he will end up being a poor mans Brett Favre. That's not too shabby in itself. Kenny Hill on the other hand has a nice mix of both pocket passer and athleticism. We shall see how that translates over the long haul. Hill has some pretty decent genes.

Or..

The SEC plays garbage defense.

Nobody is going to confuse this South Carolina defense with Alabama, LSU or any other elite defensive team. I personally think their scheme was jacked up last night. It was pretty much zone the whole night. That was a huge mistake against this type of offense. The SEC is really really good at the top in defense but the underbelly is quite soft.

Kevin Sumlin can make any good QB look special; Case Keenum, Johnny Manziel, and now Kenny Hill. I'm just glad I don't have to eat crow about claiming this when Manziel started to tear it up.

And he has the #1 QB recruit in the country from the last class as QB2 right now.

Sumlin also adjusts his offense to accommodate the strengths of his QBs. Fun offense to watch.