Johns Hopkins to Seek Conference Affiliation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Johns Hopkins to Seek Conference Affiliation

Thanks for the info on the 3 yr window I didn't know that. SU's path to the Final Four will be easier in the ACC IMO. As we won't be playing any of those teams in 1st round of the NCAA tournament. We already play ND, UVA each year adding Duke/UNC and Maryland next year will be replacing Georgetown/St. John's/Villanova/PC. I realize our conference will be a beast, but I expect we will compete for the conference title each year, and make the NCAA tournament. I would expect Desko may schedule Colgate/UMass now that we have 1 new opening for next year any idea which is more likely.

I agree that the initial tournament game should be easier but the trick/trouble for SU now becomes the regular season. What happened to UVA this year could happen to any of the ACC schools that graduates a dominate senior class like UVA did. When you play in a conference of heavyweights its easy for that ball to get rolling down hill like it did to UVA this year and before you know it you cant dig out. Syracue would be wise to re-evaluate there schedule in the offseason, with the schedule being as tough as it is plus JHU, adding a few cupcakes isnt a bad idea.

No ACC for them. It would be a mistake to allow a mish mash of schools for different sports. It's one of the things that doomed the BE.

Let those bastards rot and join the BE BB schools for lax only. They could have a two round tourney every year with themselves, Nova, GTown and Prov./Johnnies.

Where are you getting this "three year window" from?

Do you have a link to an article that I missed?

Where are you getting this "three year window" from?

Do you have a link to an article that I missed?

Was on Laxpower in a thread I read, those guys are usually spot on.

"After the dust settles, the ACC will have 6 teams in 2013-14 (earning the AQ), and they will keep that AQ even after Maryalnd leaves in 2014-15 -- since there's a relatively new NCAA rule that allows AQ conferences 3 years to replace a departing member as long as they retain 5 teams. That gives the ACC time to lure a replacement program out of, say, Boston College or Louisville."

http://network.laxpower.com/laxforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49772&start=40

You gotta get up pretty early to get one over on Orange Extreme but hey every dog has its day!

If that's the case, both the ACC and the New BE should be safe for 2015-2017.

They'll still have Rutgers as an associate for 2014, then GTown, Nova, Providence, St John's and Marquette will be on their own for the next three years.

In other words ... nobody really has to expand until the 2017-18 season.

NCAA Bylaw 31.3.4.7.1 requires at least 50% of the tournament field to be reserved for at-large teams.

More conferences with AQ's means more at large teams. Or a bunch of play-in games.

Why not align with the NBE? Nova, Gtown, SJU, providence?

"After the dust settles, the ACC will have 6 teams in 2013-14 (earning the AQ), and they will keep that AQ even after Maryalnd leaves in 2014-15 -- since there's a relatively new NCAA rule that allows AQ conferences 3 years to replace a departing member as long as they retain 5 teams. That gives the ACC time to lure a replacement program out of, say, Boston College or Louisville."

http://network.laxpower.com/laxforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49772&start=40

You gotta get up pretty early to get one over on Orange Extreme but hey every dog has its day!

I know that Title IX makes things difficult in some aspects, but BC is such a natural fit for lax.

I know that Title IX makes things difficult in some aspects, but BC is such a natural fit for lax.
They dropped their program in 2002, just as NC State did in 1982.
As we know, the latter was a major event for Syracuse lax.

I like the idea of Hopkins participating in the ACC lacrosse tournament.
It gets some ACC presence back in Maryland. It's also more good content for the ACC Channel in the spring. UVA, UNC, and Maryland went to bat 10 years ago or so for Hopkins when the NCAA tried to force them to Div III Lax because we liked playing Hopkins. This would reinforce this.

P
The alternative will be that Petro is fired, he is definitely on the hot seat and the vultures are starting to circle. Remember your not talking about a johnny come lately to the Lax scene your talking Johns Hopkins. They consider themselves the Dukes of the Lax world. There not just going to join any conference to get an AQ. It would be as if Duke was an independent in bball and then joined the new AAC conference because they get an AQ. I expect a ton of backlash from there alumni on this. The only conference that makes any type of remote sense for JHU is the ACC and thats not happening.

Petro isn't on the hot seat anymore than desko ever was

Alumni Backlash, they have to balance the two out. There fans arent going to go along with playing the sisters of the poor just so they can make the tourney.

That didn't stop SU from another round of program building by joining Big East lax. I wish the team gave a final FU to the Big East by throwing the Big East trophy in a river.

Exactly, I think we can all see why that rule was lifted for them.

And why not Hopkins? It is not as any other Hopkins sport is an issue - they are D3.

ACC lacrosse with Hopkins will have more TV fans than the rest of D1 lacrosse combined. That would be great for the future ACC network, which will require a greatn deal of quality live sports programming

I would require Hopkins to participate in the ACC IAC to be in the ACC for lacrosse. If Hopkins agrees to that, it is nuts not to add Hopkins.

They dropped their program in 2002, just as NC State did in 1982.
As we know, the latter was a major event for Syracuse lax.

For the unlearned among us (i.e. me), why was this a major event?

For the unlearned among us (i.e. me), why was this a major event?
It allowed Tim Nelson, feeder extraordinaire, to transfer to Syracuse. He was a 3-time AA, top 5 (I believe) in points, helped them win their first title (83), led SU to 3 straight finals.

Hopkins fanbase prefer the ACC from what I have gathered, but I have no clue what their administration prefers. If Hopkins does go to the B1G I would say that the ACC teams Duke, UNC, ND, SU, UVA should all end their series with them just to let them enjoy their new conference. SU-Hopkins may be a good rivalry, but we could play Loyola or Georgetown if we wanted to get in the MD recruiting area. UMass used to be a SU rival before Big East LAX so I wouldn't fret about losing Hopkins. We know SU will play Cornell, Albany, Princeton each year in non-conference games, and with 5 ACC games that will leave 4-5 games a year to schedule for Desko. I could see UMass/Colgate returning to the schedule and maybe Army, Penn State,a couple of Villanova/St.John's/Georgetown remaining. The ACC needs NC State, Virginia Tech, or Boston College to take the plummet into Division 1 LAX if we want an ACC conference.

Hopkins fanbase prefer the ACC from what I have gathered, but I have no clue what their administration prefers. If Hopkins does go to the B1G I would say that the ACC teams Duke, UNC, ND, SU, UVA should all end their series with them just to let them enjoy their new conference. SU-Hopkins may be a good rivalry, but we could play Loyola or Georgetown if we wanted to get in the MD recruiting area. UMass used to be a SU rival before Big East LAX so I wouldn't fret about losing Hopkins. We know SU will play Cornell, Albany, Princeton each year in non-conference games, and with 5 ACC games that will leave 4-5 games a year to schedule for Desko. I could see UMass/Colgate returning to the schedule and maybe Army, Penn State,a couple of Villanova/St.John's/Georgetown remaining. The ACC needs NC State, Virginia Tech, or Boston College to take the plummet into Division 1 LAX if we want an ACC conference.
I don't know which (if any) of the C-7 teams SU will play. I could see Colgate, Army and Hobart in addition to Cornell, Albany, Princeton. Add 5 ACC (including Hopkins) opponents. That's 11. SU played 14 games prior to the BE tourney this year, so they would still have 3 open slots. Lots of flexibility.

And why not Hopkins? It is not as any other Hopkins sport is an issue - they are D3.

ACC lacrosse with Hopkins will have more TV fans than the rest of D1 lacrosse combined. That would be great for the future ACC network, which will require a greatn deal of quality live sports programming

I would require Hopkins to participate in the ACC IAC to be in the ACC for lacrosse. If Hopkins agrees to that, it is nuts not to add Hopkins.

Agreed. It would be terribly foolish of the ACC to cede Johns Hopkins Lacrosse to the B1G and the CIC. You want to maintain an ACC presence in one of the nation's recruiting hotbeds for lacrosse.

I don't know which (if any) of the C-7 teams SU will play. I could see Colgate, Army and Hobart in addition to Cornell, Albany, Princeton. Add 5 ACC (including Hopkins) opponents. That's 11. SU played 14 games prior to the BE tourney this year, so they would still have 3 open slots. Lots of flexibility.

I think we have a long term agreement with Canisius now for a guarantee home game.

Remember JHU has a deal with ESPN when talking about conference affiliation. All of Hopkins home games are on ESPNU or at worst ESPN3 maybe 1 or 2. They will want to keep that contract like ND with NBC. If I were Swofford I would offer Hopkins ACC membership say keep all your own TV money and shut out the B1G from getting a blue blood program. The ACC won't need anything from Hopkins, but to play Notre Dame, Syracuse, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia each year. Hopkins already plays 3 of these schools annually and adding Notre Dame and one of UVA/Duke each year isn't going to hurt their SOS and the ACC tournament would be a war each year. Plus, this would allow ACC schools to recruit Baltimore HS LAX leagues like they do now.

Here's an article in SBNation that further clarifies what Johns Hopkins is looking for. In it the author calls the ACC lacrosse league ridiculous. I don't think it's ridiculous. It's competitive yes. Hopefully he calls the ACC Lacrosse League that because the ACC has assembled a membership where everybody has a history of being in the top ten more than not, and has most of the national championship programs from the past 3-4 decades. Hopkins would be a fit in the ACC.

http://www.collegecrosse.com/2013/5...opkins-big-ten-b1g-acc-big-east-ecac-lacrosse