Jon Rothstein on Nerlens... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jon Rothstein on Nerlens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want Noel to come to Syracuse as much a the next person but I cannot wait for this circus to be over, and its mainly because of the supposed recruiting experts/media such as this Rothstein clown.

If I was advising Nerlens purely from the point of view of what is best for his personal development, I would rank them:
  1. Kentucky - Cal knows how to fit first year players who are often raw into his system; enough talent at other positions to maximize NN's strengths and minimize his weaknesses
  2. Georgetown - on the plus side, their system really emphasizes the center so it would be total immersion into offensive basketball; on the negative side, offensive basketball is his weakness and while GU would be good for his development it might make him look like he needs to stay 2 or 3 years. if the goal is to be one and done, that is not good
  3. Syracuse - a lot of competition for minutes, and JB has a very clear recent history of putting his McD AA freshman centers on the court as token starters and then yanking them quickly. Good for long term development, very poor if you goal is to be a one-and-done player
Booooooo thats not the blind homerism I am looking for

Isn't this the same ass hat that said CJ could potentially enter the draft this year? This guy is a clown.

I'm going to laugh when NN ends up picking UNC or someone that's not in his top 3

uk definitely needs him but cal has set the bar so high that the pressure on nn will be huge at uk if he goes there. he is not ad version 2... but that will be the expectation.

Nobody should be shocked if he picks SU. As predicted lots of twist and turns have gone on late, so we'll see what happens.

Nobody should be shocked if he picks SU. As predicted lots of twist and turns have gone on late, so we'll see what happens.
That's not comforting coming from you, Francis.

My favorite part of this whole Noel soap opera is everyone rationalizing why he will or won't choose one of the final 3 schools on his list. The bottom line is none of us know what is truly important to the guy, so while speculating might be fun, it's just that.

But honestly, Ketnucky NEEDS him, I don't believe we need him
I agree with that . . . of course, any team is usually better when you add more talent, but I think a center rotation of DC2 and BMK surrounded by the rest of our talent is more than adequate to be at the top of the BE, earn a high seed, and potentially make a deep March run. I think SU will spend most of the next year in the Top Ten with or without Nerlens . . . I also think that DC2's low post offense would prove to be more valuable to the Orange than would NN's defense

Yes sir some people dont realize the roller coaster ride close to when the player is suppose to commit. This is expected.

Why hast thou forsaken me? :(.

Jk im cool with whatever sir flattop picks.

Just so long as it's syracuse

Couple things:

Moqui, I disagree with the premise of your JB take. JB does not have a track record of benching his McD AAs. He has a track record of giving the minutes to his best players. Fab was not a good player last year, so he played less. Xmas was not as good as Fab this year so he played less. MCW was behind one of the best backcourts in all of CBB and it was 3 deep with experienced players. On the flip side, Carmelo Anthony, Jonny Flynn, Donte Green all played 30+ min per game as freshmen. So my take is this trait of JBs is actually a positive for NN. He can observe that if he is one of the best 3 front court players, he need not be concerned about how many guys we have; he'll get monster minutes.

Pfister: in fairness re: your comment about scandals; JG and DC had both signed LOIs before anything broke.

Yes sir some people dont realize the roller coaster ride close to when the player is suppose to commit. This is expected.

Could you clarify are you sticking to the info you reported along with francis or what ?

If I was advising Nerlens purely from the point of view of what is best for his personal development, I would rank them:
  1. Kentucky - Cal knows how to fit first year players who are often raw into his system; enough talent at other positions to maximize NN's strengths and minimize his weaknesses
  2. Georgetown - on the plus side, their system really emphasizes the center so it would be total immersion into offensive basketball; on the negative side, offensive basketball is his weakness and while GU would be good for his development it might make him look like he needs to stay 2 or 3 years. if the goal is to be one and done, that is not good
  3. Syracuse - a lot of competition for minutes, and JB has a very clear recent history of putting his McD AA freshman centers on the court as token starters and then yanking them quickly. Good for long term development, very poor if you goal is to be a one-and-done player

Don't sell Syracuse short on talent. UK is going to lose 7 players, more than likely. They are only bringing in three studs (as of right now). I would argue that Noel will have just as much talent around him at Syracuse as he would at UK, maybe more. Definitely more depth. Plus, he'll have a PG who knows him and how he plays, and an offense and defense to show off his talents. UK will have no shooters near the caliber of Cooney to open up the middle either, so every team they play will pack it in on NN.

You make very good points, but sell Cuse a bit short, I'm afraid.

my info as of last monday didn't look good. And I have a great source on this. I am hoping that what francis and albany heard was after monday. In any case, MCW we need an assist from you more now than next year. Get to work.

Could you clarify are you sticking to the info you reported along with francis or what ?
I believe what i was told because it came from someone very credible but by nature i dont believe anything until it actually happens. Make sense?

I believe what i was told because it came from someone very credible but by nature i dont believe anything until it actually happens. Make sense?

Okay so until he announces we can never tell what will happen

The competition for minutes aspect at SU is being way overblown. NN is a dominant player. He will start and play major minutes. SU so rarely gets a player of this magnitude that comparisons that JB will limit his minutes based on the freshman play of Fab/Rak isn't necessarily a valid comparison IMO. He may not choose SU but I don't think it will be due to concern about PT.

Status
Not open for further replies.