Jon Stewart going off on the NCAA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jon Stewart going off on the NCAA

Well, I wasn't comparing the Daily Show audience with any other TV oulets; I was just saying that audience is low information. And I stand by that, because I think that everyone who gets their news primarily from TV is low information. The TV format - 30 or 6o minute shows divided into several short segments that do not go into heavy detail (exceptions are rare, like Charley Rose) - is inherently superficial.

Now, I don't know about the survey you are discussing, but I do know the biennial Pew Media Consumption Survey. Their "political knowledge" measure is based on just 4 questions - the most recent (2012) survey questions were: which party controls the House, what is the current unemployment rate, what nation does Angela Merkel lead, and which 2012 presidential candidate wants to raise taxes on the rich. Stewart's audience did pretty good relative to other TV outlets, but nonetheless fewer than 1/3 of them got all four of these exceedingly easy questions correct.

I'm not saying his audience is stupid - I personally know several bright and highly educated people who get their "news" from the Daily Show. But they cannot hold a deep conversation on the issues because their knowledge is superficial (at least partially because, when you get right down to it, so is their interest - they just want to be told comforting "truths"). I imagine the same is true for people who only watch O'Reilly or listen to Limbaugh, but I don't have any of them in my personal circle.

The unemployment rate question seems, by comparison, ludicrously harder than the other three, since that's a changing number and f*** if I pay attention to it every month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom