Jonathan Thomas rewards coaches' commitment by tackling academics | Syracusefan.com

Jonathan Thomas rewards coaches' commitment by tackling academics

Great to hear Thomas will be with the Orange this year instead of at a prep school. Great to hear we've got coaches like Lea who care about the student-athletes enough to inspire them to be better instead of just looking for another recruit without as much difficulty in the classroom.

Nice. Congrats to this young man for putting in the hard work to keep his dream alive. Now he needs to remember that he needs to continue to hit the books with the same effort while at SU. Got to keep the grades up to keep eligible. Dont sleep on your grades.

Last edited:
-a9c09150fda81899.jpg

#27 Jonathan Thomas wins this weeks Future Orangeman award for his outstanding job of buckling down and taking care of his academic business

That's most

ClappingSmilieExcellent.gif

Last edited:
The image of Lea persisting in a dialog centered on academics and personal growth is telling. To me the little bits and pieces that trickle out about this staff backs up all the talk about character. And I'm not just trying to toot the Orange horn. In b-school we spent too much time dissecting the way that organizational culture is inescapably influenced from the top. I think the tone at the top in the Scott Shafer era has been unbelievably positive and encouraging. He is presenting all the right kinds of attributes and putting forth values that kids coming into a big time athletics program can genuinely improve the quality of their lives with, no matter where it leads. It's the kind of thing that has me very optimistic about the future of this program under Shafer, very proud to be Orange, and something that should and will resonate with this community at large. Hats off to them all, especially Coach Lea for his work here. And hats off to Jonathan Thomas for manning up and taking care of business! I can't wait to see what he brings on the field.

This is what college athletics (well, college, actually) should be about: personal growth.

It's not a vocational school; the goal shouldn't be to publicize a handful of people in order to get them short-term contracts that make them temporarily wealthy.