Jonny Flynn released by Detroit* | Syracusefan.com

Jonny Flynn released by Detroit*

What were he and his agent thinking in the first place trying to make the Pistons when there were two-three solid guys ahead of him. He might have to pack his bags and head overseas.

hope he was conservative with his money.

What were he and his agent thinking in the first place trying to make the Pistons when there were two-three solid guys ahead of him. He might have to pack his bags and head overseas.
they carefully weighed every offer on the table . . . and then took the only one that was there

they carefully weighed every offer on the table . . . and then took the only one that was there

After his injury he never got his explosiveness back or he is just scared to attack the rim like he did before you can't be average at 5-11

He never could shoot either. He struggled pre-injury, as well.

His athleticism jumped off the screen at you...as did his limitations. When you are a top 1% athletic freak, you get chances others don't. He just doesn't have any spring left in those knees. Hopefully Jonny saved his millions well and can go on and play for more modest money overseas.

I thought he had some better offers out there besides this one. I thought Portland was thinking of resigning him too.

Say what you want about Jonny, but he sacred the crap out of a lot of our opponents during his time on the hill.

I wish him the best.

what could have been. wish he stayed 4 years. I hate the NBA sometimes and the stupid decisions these kids make.

what could have been. wish he stayed 4 years. I hate the NBA sometimes and the stupid decisions these kids make.

Crazy to think he could have been a junior on the 09-10 #1 seed. Of course, then consider that team could have had Donte Greene (Jr.), Paul Harris (Sr.) and Eric Devendorf (RS Sr.). And none of them has done jack as a pro (of course in the case of the last two, NBA dreams had less to do with their departures).

If Apple, Google, Conde Nast, or the real world equivalent of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe offered non-athlete students big money after 1-, 2-, or 3- years of college, most kids would be jumping. A decision like that is usually only "stupid" in hindsight. If he didn't have the confidence that he was 'ready,' he probably wouldn't have been an effective enough competitor to get him the opportunity in the first place.

He made roughly 12 mill over 3yrs and is probably on the next flight to Europe to make 1/2 mill more this season so lets not cry for him. We all go to college to get a job in our chosen field that sounds like good job to me.

at some point success at the next level does filter down to recruiting top high school talent. the topics bound to arise.
if not by us then certainly by other programs. it's a metric of coaching i'm sure most players and parents are looking at.

I always thought he would make a good coach one day. I suspect he will be an assistant on the Orange bench in the not so distant future.

at some point success at the next level does filter down to recruiting top high school talent. the topics bound to arise.
if not by us then certainly by other programs. it's a metric of coaching i'm sure most players and parents are looking at.

I agree but as long as we get guys drafted in the lottery we can sell it less than 10 guys per draft have long distinguished careers and that's a good draft.

After taxes and agent commissions he likely walked away with $3.5-4.5 million.

After taxes and agent commissions he likely walked away with $3.5-4.5 million.
More like 6mill-6.5mill but I get your point. I'm still not shedding a tear

Jonny had that infectious smile and as outgoing a personality as you'll ever see on a basketball court. The reality of the situation is that very few are able to carve out a lasting career in the NBA. Sadly these kids often forgo what for many college students are some of the most enjoyable times of their lives in their pursuit of the dream of making it in the NBA. The promise of big money, the chance of being in the limelight along with the chorus of all who tell them that they are ready is an all too powerful and persuasive enticement to pass up.

I wonder if a few additional years of College would make a difference for some of these players. Donte Green has mentioned that he has wished that he had stayed at Syracuse longer. In my opinion the one and done players have often scarcely made the transition to the college game let alone prepared themselves for making the transition to the NBA game. In the end, for every success story there are dozens of "didn't make its" on a rubble pile of broken NBA dreams.

As mentioned above, @ 5'11" you really have to be something special and be physically sound to make it in the NBA. He may still get a chance in the NBA and if not he certainly could do well for himself overseas or by using that smile and outgoing personality to parlay it into some kind of successful career in some other area. And that's not to mention that he has pocketed a considerable amount of money while giving it a shot.

Bad day to be Orange in Detroit as the Lions released Doug Hogue to make room for a DB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom