Jonny Flynn released by Detroit* | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jonny Flynn released by Detroit*

Flynn's stock was never gonna be higher than when he left after the '09 big east tourny run and getting to sweet 16, smart move to jump then. Another year at cuse wasnt gonna turn him into the #1 pick, and it wasnt gonna have him grow a few more inches.

Had he come back to school was he going to move up the draft that much in 2010? Looking back on the 2010 draft it isn't stellar up to this point, so maybe he would have been higher than #6. On the flip side the longer you stay in school the more flaws the scouts find in your game, so maybe he did leave at the right time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NBA_Draft

Jonny had that infectious smile and as outgoing a personality as you'll ever see on a basketball court. The reality of the situation is that very few are able to carve out a lasting career in the NBA. Sadly these kids often forgo what for many college students are some of the most enjoyable times of their lives in their pursuit of the dream of making it in the NBA. The promise of big money, the chance of being in the limelight along with the chorus of all who tell them that they are ready is an all too powerful and persuasive enticement to pass up.

Flynn, in the NBA, had a terrible work ethic and a really bad attitude for a god portion of his stay.

I give Boeheim credit for maxxing the gifts and guttiness he had in college. What an incredible on-the-court Orangemen he was for us. Wish he could still be something in the NBA, but I just hope he does OK no matter what happens. That dude did right by us.

Flynn, in the NBA, had a terrible work ethic and a really bad attitude for a god portion of his stay.

I give Boeheim credit for maxxing the gifts and guttiness he had in college. What an incredible on-the-court Orangemen he was for us. Wish he could still be something in the NBA, but I just hope he does OK no matter what happens. That dude did right by us.

I have a buddy who is friends with a guy that recruits for the T-Wolves and we saw this guy out one night and he said the same thing. He was mad he wasn't starting and was splitting time ever other quarter. He mentioned he was getting lazy and that he had a bad attitude about the whole thing and that managment weren't very pleased with him.

Had he come back to school was he going to move up the draft that much in 2010? Looking back on the 2010 draft it isn't stellar up to this point, so maybe he would have been higher than #6. On the flip side the longer you stay in school the more flaws the scouts find in your game, so maybe he did leave at the right time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NBA_Draft

John Wall was the first PG off the board the second was 18th. I don't see how he cracks the top 5 on that list. He was better out John Wall as the top PG off the board.

what could have been. wish he stayed 4 years. I hate the NBA sometimes and the stupid decisions these kids make.
in all honesty, it's a worse decision for most kids to enter college than it is for ballers to exit.

A neighbor's kid who just graduated from UC Irvine is working retail at Bloomingdales . . . her supervisor is a kid who she went to high school with, but who decided against college & went straight to work.

$80K in debt and 4 years behind on the ladder.

in all honesty, it's a worse decision for most kids to enter college than it is for ballers to exit.

A neighbor's kid who just graduated from UC Irvine is working retail at Bloomingdales . . . her supervisor is a kid who she went to high school with, but who decided against college & went straight to work.

True story. Higher education can be a gamble.

But hey, kids have to "find themselves" I guess.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I have some friends that did fine without going to college and yet some friends that may have suffered (I say "may" because I'm not sure a college education would have served them any better, lol).

If you want to go to college it has to be with a purpose to achieve a goal, not to just get a degree because you think it will get you somewhere. No one has ever achieved anything by just going through the motions without having a goal that you pursue and achieve. Just by the nature of the person that sets that goal and achieves it speaks about that individuals propensity potential for success. Some folks are not meant to go to college and will fare much better without it. Others who are focused on attaining a higher education because they know what they want to do with it are more apt to succeed with that education.

I guess what I'm saying is that just because you go to college doesn't mean you will be successful, you have to want it. Just like anything else in life.

I always thought he would make a good coach one day. I suspect he will be an assistant on the Orange bench in the not so distant future.

The chances of this happening are the same as you tipping center for the Knicks on opening night this year.

Crazy to think he could have been a junior on the 09-10 #1 seed. Of course, then consider that team could have had Donte Greene (Jr.), Paul Harris (Sr.) and Eric Devendorf (RS Sr.). And none of them has done jack as a pro (of course in the case of the last two, NBA dreams had less to do with their departures).
though all of them are probably making more than most of us. granted, their careers will be shorter than most of our professional careers.

I have a buddy who is friends with a guy that recruits for the T-Wolves and we saw this guy out one night and he said the same thing. He was mad he wasn't starting and was splitting time ever other quarter. He mentioned he was getting lazy and that he had a bad attitude about the whole thing and that managment weren't very pleased with him.
In Jonny's defense that TWolves/Kahn/Rambis mismanagement cesspool was never the best place for him to land.
Maybe he would've still ended up a bust, injury or not, but going to play for Minny was an immediate detriment to his chances.
Good luck to him...we'll always have 6-OT's!!!
beer.gif

Jonny has proven that nowhere has been a good fit for him. The NBA isn't look for 5'11 guys who can't shoot or defend.

In Jonny's defense that TWolves/Kahn/Rambis mismanagement cesspool was never the best place for him to land.
Maybe he would've still ended up a bust, injury or not, but going to play for Minny was an immediate detriment to his chances.
Good luck to him...we'll always have 6-OT's!!! View attachment 1288

I tend to think that if you're good, you're good. Had he gone to a more well-run franchise I dont think he would fare much differently. Flynn just wasn't good enough for the NBA.

It was still the right decision for him to leave Syracuse when he did though.

I tend to think that if you're good, you're good. Had he gone to a more well-run franchise I dont think he would fare much differently.
I think this is true for the top half if talent in the NBA.

For the lower half and the population of fringe guys overseas and in the DLeague, I think circumstance matters a whole lot more.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

UC Irvine isn't some vocational school; it's an institution of higher learning.

Somewhere along the line, a portion of the population began to conflate "college" and "trade school." For centuries, colleges and universities have existed in order to teach people who want to learn.

The chances of this happening are the same as you tipping center for the Knicks on opening night this year.

I was waiting for someone to say it. Flynn as a coach as Syracuse? We appreciate some of the memories, but no thanks.

I was waiting for someone to say it. Flynn as a coach as Syracuse? We appreciate some of the memories, but no thanks.
Flynn could be our demeanor coach. He could teach BT to smile and improve CJ's swagger.

Yeah, Jonny left a big impression on campus... a very well known late night carouser. I don't think he'll be invited back to be a mentor/coach to the young kids. I understand the staff got more than a few late night calls with regard to Jonny, Scoop and Rick J :)

these excuses are tiring.

He had an opportunity with 4 different franchises, and they all showed him the door.

As a pro, Jonny stunk. Period, end of discussion.

I refer you back to this post and, especially, the glorious Jonny Flynn Decision Tree created by a disgusted Rockets fan:
flynn-part-2.png

Still confused when I think about----->SU guys in the NBA.

I wonder if that is a credit to JB or a knock. Is he taking guys who are good but putting them in a system that plays to their skills and allows NBA teams to think they are better than they are? Or is he not getting guys to reach their full potential?

It's probably a little of both; depends on what player you're looking at.

Why was Hart the only guy that could play defense in the NBA

I wonder if that is a credit to JB or a knock. Is he taking guys who are good but putting them in a system that plays to their skills and allows NBA teams to think they are better than they are? Or is he not getting guys to reach their full potential?

When I wrote that post I thought about adding: "And that is a testament to how great of a Coach JB is."

But I'm not sure I know the answer to that. I really truly believe that kids leaving early for the NBA is not a good thing. I've never looked at it statistically, someday maybe I will. But I look at guys like Donte and Jonny and believe they would have been better off staying a year (or more). That said, Jonny would have been a complete fool to stay because his stock was so high (he made the right market choice regardless of whether or not I like the choice).

So I'm not sure I know if it's credit to JB or a knock on JB. Has anyone looked historically at recruit rankings and NBA success by Coach?

44cuse

Without performing an exhaustive analysis, we might pick up a signal if we divide G from F/C.

My initial impression is that JB's program has done a very good job of recruiting and developing frontcourt players (Rony, Etan, Hakim, etc.). I could probably be convinced RE: backcourt but it seems to me the improvements there often relate to increased PT for upperclassmen. I do think that regardless of position JB tends to bring in "system" players and that suggests their NBA success may also be modulated by the system they're thrust into.

In sum, I don't believe I've added anything of material importance to the discussion - but I'll take solace knowing that this would've been enough to win the final pres. debate. Is it too late to write me in?

There is zero doubt in my mind that playing zone defense allows guys to relax and they can focus almost all of their energy on offense. How many guys have we had that were dynamite zone defenders? About 6 stick out in my mind. It also hides deficiencies of certain players. Hakim Warrick was so thin, you wonder how well he could have handled playing minutes in a m2m system as a sophmore? He would have been bullied as a Junior as well. Couple this with a free flowing offense, designed to get out and run by a guy who is an absolute offensive genius... and I think some of our guys end up looking better than they really are.

All of these guys get to the NBA and struggle mightily on defense (Hart and Thomas aside). I don't think its coincidence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom