Jonny Flynn | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jonny Flynn

He played less, too.

Then why did virtually all of his per 40 minute stats increase?

Went from the 4th option to second option so people have different expectations.

Then why did virtually all of his per 40 minute stats increase?

Went from the 4th option to second option so people have different expectations.

Exactly. Expectations matter. I liked him, loved him as a frosh; but his sophomore year was disappointing, fair or not.

It sucks that he gets the rep as the guy drafted before Steph Curry. He had a great rookie season and was only going to get better. Got rushed back from an injury never seen in basketball and effectively ended his career in the process because of Minnesota's malpractice.

How about Hasheem Thabeet before James Harden and Steph Curry?

2009 NBA Draft | Basketball-Reference.com

For a rookie PG, he had a fine rookie season. He struggled like they all do, but he had some big games, hit some big shots, and showed a lot of promise. Really a shame the way that injury and it seemingly being mishandled ruined his career.

I’ve read that he had some difficulties being coachable in the NBA too though, clashing over offensive approach. I don’t think he was a bad kid, but stubborn and headstrong. Good chance he wasn’t wrong either given where he played and who he played for. That organization was a joke back then. That rep can’t help if you’re damaged goods and a borderline NBA player though, I wouldn’t think.

For a rookie PG, he had a fine rookie season. He struggled like they all do, but he had some big games, hit some big shots, and showed a lot of promise. Really a shame the way that injury and it seemingly being mishandled ruined his career.

I’ve read that he had some difficulties being coachable in the NBA too though, clashing over offensive approach. I don’t think he was a bad kid, but stubborn and headstrong. Good chance he wasn’t wrong either given where he played and who he played for. That organization was a joke back then. That rep can’t help if you’re damaged goods and a borderline NBA player though, I wouldn’t think.

It was a combo of him being a square peg in a Triangle hole, and the injury, but maybe not in that order.

Rambis is probably a Bottom Ten all time NBA coach, and tried to run the Triangle offense, which has basically only ever been successful if you have TWO of the Top 50 players of ALL TIME running it.
(Jordan & Pippen, Kobe & Shaq)

Plus suitable pieces at the other positions - which Jonny was not as a PG for the Triangle.

Jonny’s NBA skill has his explosive athleticism, and getting into the lane to either score or dish.
His injury robbed him of a lot of that, and the Triangle scheme took away the rest.

It was a combo of him being a square peg in a Triangle hole, and the injury, but maybe not in that order.

Rambis is probably a Bottom Ten all time NBA coach, and tried to run the Triangle offense, which has basically only ever been successful if you have TWO of the Top 50 players of ALL TIME running it.
(Jordan & Pippen, Kobe & Shaq)

Plus suitable pieces at the other positions - which Jonny was not at a PG for the Triangle.

Jonny’s NBA skill has his explosive athleticism, and getting into the lane to either score or dish.
His injury robbed him of a lot of that, and the Triangle took away the rest.

Right. And Jonny clearly could be an effective pick and roll PG.

Wish he could’ve gotten drafted by basically anyone else and avoided that injury. He would’ve done fine.

I’m surprised that he didn’t get more of a chance than his initial contract of 3 years at least as a serviceable NBA backup, his numbers seemed to improve at his last stop in Portland. Weird that he didn’t even get any rehab time or run in the D League either.

Jonny Flynn Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Isaiah Thomas suffered the same injury in 2017. It will be interesting how his career goes. Both were pretty smallish but very athletic point guards but Flynn was younger - like 21 to 28 years of age.