Jonny Flynn | Syracusefan.com

Jonny Flynn

Francis03

All American
Sorry if somebody posted this already, but I read somewhere yesterday that he'll be on the Pacers Summer League team. Hopefully he's healthy and makes a good impression to bounce back in the association. Find it hard to believe that he couldn't find a backup role somewhere if healthy.

Thanks for posting that! I've been following Jonny and other former players in the NBDL and was trying to find summer league rosters. I'm hoping That Andy, Paul, AO, Rick, and DNic all get a shot. Last year we had 6 or 7 former players putting in decent time in the NbDL. I'd like to see Devo get a shot.

Andy is playing for the Bulls and I think DNic is on the Spurs but I'm not 100% certain on that one yet. I'm rooting for all of the former players that you mentioned as well. Around Friday or Saturday I'll start a Summer League discussion thread, where we can keep up to date with how our guys are doing.

Sorry if somebody posted this already, but I read somewhere yesterday that he'll be on the Pacers Summer League team. Hopefully he's healthy and makes a good impression to bounce back in the association. Find it hard to believe that he couldn't find a backup role somewhere if healthy.
Best wishes for Jonny. He got a bad rap after getting injured. I thought he had a solid first year on a lousy team playing a lousy offense for a lousy coach. The press never seems to remember the injury that hampered him after that first year.

The key is "if healthy." The differentiation for a player his size was the speed / absurd athleticism. When you take away some of the explosiveness and quickness due to the injury, he just wasn't a good enough player at 5-11 to be in the NBA.

Here's hoping he's regained a little of that explosiveness.

I just saw the Sixers summer roster and James is on it! I saw a couple fan posts and they were excited about James and MCW playing together and he will be the best shooter on the team!

When Flynn was playing for the Twolves for a year or two I happen to come into contact with a recruiter for the Twolves. I had the opportunity to talk to him about Flynn. Take this for what it's worth.

He said that Flynn had a bad attitude. He thought he should be getting more playing time. Instead of putting the work in to learn and get better he complained. I guess he got to be know for that behavior.

It was only one conversation but it was an insight

I just saw the Sixers summer roster and James is on it! I saw a couple fan posts and they were excited about James and MCW playing together and he will be the best shooter on the team!
James is also playing with the Warriors. Should be plenty of chances for him to showcase his shooting for the association.

When Flynn was playing for the Twolves for a year or two I happen to come into contact with a recruiter for the Twolves. I had the opportunity to talk to him about Flynn. Take this for what it's worth.

He said that Flynn had a bad attitude. He thought he should be getting more playing time. Instead of putting the work in to learn and get better he complained. I guess he got to be know for that behavior.

If that is true hopefully what he has been through has humbled him a little bit and he is more motivated to put time in now and not feel like anything is owed to him. I will be rooting for him.

You might have posted that here before but I also remember Jonny being in a tough situation with the local fans and media because they only wanted Rubio and would constantly bash Jonny. Meanwhile, Jonny averaged 13.5 pts, 4.4 ast per game and started every game his rookie year. Then I course he got hurt, Minn signed Luke Ridnour who ran the Triangle better than Jonny and was a better shooter. It was a bad situation that just snowballed and now he is considered damaged goods an needs to change perception.

Heard the same thing.

You might have posted that here before but I also remember Jonny being in a tough situation with the local fans and media because they only wanted Rubio and would constantly bash Jonny. Meanwhile, Jonny averaged 13.5 pts, 4.4 ast per game and started every game his rookie year. Then I course he got hurt, Minn signed Luke Ridnour who ran the Triangle better than Jonny and was a better shooter. It was a bad situation that just snowballed and now he is considered damaged goods an needs to change perception.
It'd be nice to see him have a Chauncy Billups like turn around. I remember it was thought he would be a star as soon as he entered the league, but he bounced around a while before he finally came into his own in Detroit.

It'll probably be hard for Flynn to make the Pacers now since they signed CJ Watson and just recently today gave another PG Donald Sloan a multi-year deal. He still has the opportunity to show well during summer league play and get picked up by somebody else.

Biggest thing with Flynn I worry is confidence. After the injury slowed him down ... it seemed to have gotten to his head ( understandably so). One of the things that made Jonny so good was how fearless he was as a small guard. He did not hesitate. Would love to see him be able to re-capture that.

Just ask Mike Rosario ...

We have had some guys do very very well in D league but not really stick in the league. Would be great to see some of them get shots at it. I hope Jonny shows well and gets a chance somewhere because of it. If not I stiill feel he made the right decision just wound up in a bad situation and then got hurt. I hope did well with his money either way.

I'm hoping that one of our former Orangemen lands with the Clippers, who are both capped out and shorthanded. They will give their midlevel to Matt Barnes, then they will have to fill out their bench with minimum contracts.

LA has some bird rights on Barnes, so they may not need to dip into the mid level on him.

I'm hoping that one of our former Orangemen lands with the Clippers, who are both capped out and shorthanded. They will give their midlevel to Matt Barnes, then they will have to fill out their bench with minimum contracts.
Good spot for Wes Johnson?

Good spot for Wes Johnson?
I don't think so . . . they will have Reddick and Crawford at the 2 and Barnes and Dudley at the 3, plus they added Reggie Bullock in the draft. They need depth at the point and in the frontcourt. Now that I see it on paper, maybe no Orange fits there. Ricky could be a long shot, but I haven't even seen him listed on any summer league rosters.

Miami likes shooters . . . maybe Wes would fit there on a minimum deal?

Doesn't the first part of that invalidate the second?

I don't think so . . . they will have Reddick and Crawford at the 2 and Barnes and Dudley at the 3, plus they added Reggie Bullock in the draft. They need depth at the point and in the frontcourt. Now that I see it on paper, maybe no Orange fits there. Ricky could be a long shot, but I haven't even seen him listed on any summer league rosters.

Barnes is looking like he'll end up elsewhere but you're right about Dudley and Bullock being slotted in the same position which would make things tough for Wes. OKC with Kevin Martin leaving seems like it could be an attractive spot for him. Their 2nd team will definitely need somebody who can knock down some shots.