Class of 2017 - F Jordan Nwora (NY) to Louisville | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 F Jordan Nwora (NY) to Louisville

Seems like he wants to get away for college, Loovul closest so that rules them out. Quite an atypical collection.

That's a nice pick up for them.
Yup, indeed! 721Comstock already mentioned, but a lot of Dirty to this kid's game, might not be as good an athlete as Southerland, but he has a little more mobility and puts the ball on the floor more. Great shooter, good get.

I wonder why we didn't try to get involved with Nwora when Tucker had his issues. I think if Tucker keeps his nose clean, we jump back in with him, especially if some of our other wings don't come thru.

So we never actually offered this kid, huh? What a shame...

Park School product Jordan Nwora soars for No. 18 Louisville

Cards still trying to make believers out of ACC skeptics

For Nwora, it will be a homecoming of sorts. Syracuse is 150 miles from Buffalo, where he grew up and was a 1,000-point scorer at The Park School. His mother is a Syracuse graduate, his grandparents still live in the city and he says he grew up as an Orange fan, but wasn't seriously recruited by Coach Jim Boeheim.

"I was a huge Syracuse fan growing up, like hoodies, clothes, a lot of stuff," Nwora said.

"Then I came here and now I'm not so much a Syracuse fan (smiling)."

I wonder why we didn't try to get involved with Nwora when Tucker had his issues. I think if Tucker keeps his nose clean, we jump back in with him, especially if some of our other wings don't come thru.

They played for the same AAU team. Tough situation. The staff was on Tucker for a long time. Wouldn’t have been a good look to jump all over a kid that plays the same position on the same team. If they played for different teams I think things could have gone a different way..but what do I know.

Oh, what could've been...
His mom is a SU grad. He grew up a Cuse fan. We showed interest with Nwora but never went the extra mile on this one.. and in the end didn't offer. JB had other wings (Tucker, Randolph, Diallo, Walker, Wilson, Wright, O'Connell, Duarte) in this class of higher interest.

Last edited:
His mom is a SU grad. He grew up a Cuse fan. We showed interest with Nwora but never went the extra mile on this one.. and in the end didn't offer. JB had other wings (Tucker, Randolph, Diallo, Walker, Wilson, Wright, O'Connell, Duarte) in this class of higher interest.
I was surprised when we didn’t go after him. I think in the end, we prioritized Brissett over Nwora. Make of that what you will. (Brissett would have been a preseason all ACC player this season if he hadn’t bolted, but Nworra has been a better scorer.) We had a good chance at Randolph but Frank didn’t help matters there, and I suspect Book had some undo influence. This was also the recruiting cycle when the staff was clearly not on the same page with Hop 2 years away from taking over but JB still making all the final recruiting calls.

I was surprised when we didn’t go after him. I think in the end, we prioritized Brissett over Nwora. Make of that what you will. (Brissett would have been a preseason all ACC player this season if he hadn’t bolted, but Nworra has been a better scorer.) We had a good chance at Randolph but Frank didn’t help matters there, and I suspect Book had some undo influence. This was also the recruiting cycle when the staff was clearly not on the same page with Hop 2 years away from taking over but JB still making all the final recruiting calls.
Looking back on it Nwora has turned into a better player but honestly at the time I was higher on Brissett than Nwora. I still think Brissett has a good 2 years with us and maybe didn't develop into a top 15 pick in year 2 like some people thought could happen including myself but he was still a very solid player.

Prioritizing Oshae over Nwora was a huge mistake on a number of levels, there is no other way to look at it.

Looking back on it Nwora has turned into a better player but honestly at the time I was higher on Brissett than Nwora. I still think Brissett has a good 2 years with us and maybe didn't develop into a top 15 pick in year 2 like some people thought could happen including myself but he was still a very solid player.
Exactly. It’s hard for any coach to predict how a prospect will turn out. So many variables to consider. Cuse has a pretty good track record overall of developing guys. Would have been nice to have Nwora, but Oshae also appeared to have a high ceiling—and I think he would have improved his efficiency if he had returned.

Prioritizing Oshae over Nwora was a huge mistake on a number of levels, there is no other way to look at it.
What if Brissett had come back for another year, and Nwora had not?

Last edited:
It’s true

Him and Paul Harris really competed for most missed layups

Unreal

I understand why we might take Brissett over Nwora. Oshae is a really impressive athlete and looking quickly, one would think his ceiling would be considerably higher.

Some guys are born to be ballers though, really know the game and know how to score. You can't discount the intangibles when evaluating basketball players. Oshae was a good player for us. This wasn't a disaster. But it is kind of sad.

In the end, perhaps the most important thing a coaching staff does is make these kinds of calls. It is a huge part of the job.