Jordan Tucker | Syracusefan.com

Jordan Tucker

Footey04

2nd String
What would our record be if he came here and was playing 25-30 mins a night? I believe right now we would be 23-9 and in the tourney! Thoughts and opinions????

Don’t know what our record would be. It would definitely be better though. Having another scorer would be so huge for us.

One thing I can say is, he’d be playing 35 plus minutes...probably averaging double figures in points and we’d all be worried about him leaving for the draft!!!

Can't even begin to wonder about Tucker.

There is a guy who got charmed into going to Duke when he was ready to come here. Then when he finds he isn't as good as he thought he was, he bails on that team.

Not sure I'd want to depend on a teammate like that.

Fair enough it was a hypothetical question, he can shoot and we all know we need more of that!

He wasn’t good enough to beat out the other shooter/wing guy who hardly ever plays for Duke, so it’s hard to know if he’s actually able to contribute at this level or not.

Logical consequences:

1. Forces OB to PF, which

2. likely weakens our rebounding numbers which is a strength this year (Tucker vs. Matt/Marek),

3. diminishes Marek and Matt's PT and general development (assuming Marek is even here given the roster limitations),

4. probably forces OB to play inside more on offense where we have seen he is challenged finishing around the rim,

5. probably slows the development of OB's 3-ball shot since he wouldn't be forced to be the third outside threat.

Whether Tucker's shooting positively offsets the above is the real debate.

If we got Tucker, there is no Marek. Our rotation is still rail thin at 6.5 guys, and our rebounding and defense is probably worse, with our offense being marginally better. Wild card is the locker room dynamic and potential chemistry issues - who knows, maybe if we got Tucker, and didn't pursue Marek at the last minute, Tucker quits on Syracuse in December and we're left with 6 scholarship players.

I've watched the last few UK games - Quade Green is definitely not a 1-and-done or 2-and-done player like Cal had promised him. However, if Quade came here, and he was just "average" defensively in the zone, we'd have 3 or 4 more wins. That's assuming he/Frank/Tyus all learned to share the ball and Tyus could play the 3 for 15 minutes a game or so. Quade has a good feel for the game, can get his own shot, and create shots for his teammates - he also appears to be a good shooter. He does look small though, which means whichever positives he gave on offense might be negated by his defense. But Quade would instantly be the best 3pt shooter on this team and teams would have honor that which would open the lane for Frank and Tyus. Gilgeous-Alexander would have been perfect for us defensively and offensively - he's clearly better than Quade IMO.

If we got Tucker, there is no Marek. Our rotation is still rail thin at 6.5 guys, and our rebounding and defense is probably worse, with our offense being marginally better. Wild card is the locker room dynamic and potential chemistry issues - who knows, maybe if we got Tucker, and didn't pursue Marek at the last minute, Tucker quits on Syracuse in December and we're left with 6 scholarship players.
Tucker would be getting 35+ mpg here, he wouldn't have quit. But it would have made next year interesting - Eli, Carey and Frank getting the guard minutes - Bazley/OB should play as much as humanly possible at the 3 and 4. Maybe Bazley plays the 5 for stretches too.

Tucker would be getting 35+ mpg here, he wouldn't have quit. But it would have made next year interesting - Eli, Carey and Frank getting the guard minutes - Bazley/OB should play as much as humanly possible at the 3 and 4. Maybe Bazley plays the 5 for stretches too.
I'm not so sure. He played 6 minutes vs. Elon then nothing for the next 9 games. Certainly that's a coaching decision, or a quiet suspension, based on something that Tucker did, or a pattern of behavior he displayed. We all know how tough JB can be on freshmen, with some exceptions. Who knows if he gets yanked from the starting lineup after the 7th game and he loses it, gets in an argument with JB, and quits. This says a lot:
Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 7.20.49 PM.png

I'm not so sure. He played 6 minutes vs. Elon then nothing for the next 9 games. Certainly that's a coaching decision, or a quiet suspension, based on something that Tucker did, or a pattern of behavior he displayed. We all know how tough JB can be on freshmen, with some exceptions. Who knows if he gets yanked from the starting lineup after the 7th game and he loses it, gets in an argument with JB, and quits. This says a lot:
View attachment 124131
You have a point. But Duke is filled with All-ACC players and 5-star recruits, they threw Tucker to the wayside and are a top 5 team. I think it's a safe assumption to say that we needed Tucker more than Duke needed him. Duke only went in on the last second because they missed out on Knox (they would have been unreal with Knox)

You have a point. But Duke is filled with All-ACC players and 5-star recruits, they threw Tucker to the wayside and are a top 5 team. I think it's a safe assumption to say that we needed Tucker more than Duke needed him. Duke only went in on the last second because they missed out on Knox (they would have been unreal with Knox)
Agree. Tucker would've been given his opportunity here at SU, no question. Whether or not he could've handled it, we'll never know. I was ticked when Duke swooped in at the last minute and we missed out on him, but maybe it was for the best.

I've watched the last few UK games - Quade Green is definitely not a 1-and-done or 2-and-done player like Cal had promised him. However, if Quade came here, and he was just "average" defensively in the zone, we'd have 3 or 4 more wins. That's assuming he/Frank/Tyus all learned to share the ball and Tyus could play the 3 for 15 minutes a game or so. Quade has a good feel for the game, can get his own shot, and create shots for his teammates - he also appears to be a good shooter. He does look small though, which means whichever positives he gave on offense might be negated by his defense. But Quade would instantly be the best 3pt shooter on this team and teams would have honor that which would open the lane for Frank and Tyus. Gilgeous-Alexander would have been perfect for us defensively and offensively - he's clearly better than Quade IMO.

Yeah, SGA is nice. A big reason why they improved quite a bit. He’s a real matchup nightmare when he is handling the ball and playing PG.

View attachment 124131
According to that chart, he is a lifetime 50% 3 point shooter. Hot Damn, that's good!!!

Logical consequences:

1. Forces OB to PF, which

2. likely weakens our rebounding numbers which is a strength this year (Tucker vs. Matt/Marek),

3. diminishes Marek and Matt's PT and general development (assuming Marek is even here given the roster limitations),

4. probably forces OB to play inside more on offense where we have seen he is challenged finishing around the rim,

5. probably slows the development of OB's 3-ball shot since he wouldn't be forced to be the third outside threat.

Whether Tucker's shooting positively offsets the above is the real debate.
What he would do is open up driving lanes for Battle and Brissett. Those two guys don't have much of an issue getting past their defender, problem is they dribble drive into our 4 players who just float around the paint when not setting the famous Chukwu high PnR.

If Tucker can shoot the 3 ball at this level, our offense isn't just marginally better, it's got potential to be really good.

How would we do against a rotation of:

Quade
Heurter
Thorpe
BJ
Tucker
Taurean
Diange

...Coached by Hop

How would we do against a rotation of:

Quade
Heurter
Thorpe
BJ
Tucker
Taurean
Diange

...Coached by Hop
BJ would have already graduated if he stayed here. Can't blame JB for Diagne. Screw Thorpe(sorry). Screw Taurean(sorry).

I realize that you are putting a team of our misses together.
Ranting at the end of the night, sir.

Can't even begin to wonder about Tucker.

There is a guy who got charmed into going to Duke when he was ready to come here. Then when he finds he isn't as good as he thought he was, he bails on that team.

Not sure I'd want to depend on a teammate like that.
I said the same thing when he left Duke. I don’t want anyone here that gives up easily. We don’t need people like that around here and I’m proud of how our guys played this year even though it wasn’t a great season. We all thought we wouldn’t be good anyways so we got who we got and now let’s ride the wave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom