joseph, cooney, gbinije, mccullough, christmas? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

joseph, cooney, gbinije, mccullough, christmas?

Shut up.We'll be fine.

Joseph/Gbinije/Buss
Cooney/Buss/Johnson
Gbinije/Roberson/Johnson
McCullough/Rak/Coleman
Rak/Coleman/Obokoh

This is all assuming Grant leaves, which I don't believe is going to happen...though Ennis didn't help us.That's not a terrible lineup. It really isn't.

Ether post. Be specific.

What record next year would make it
A) a terrible lineup?
B) not a terrible lineup?
C) a great lineup?

Ether post. Be specific.

What record next year would make it
A) a terrible lineup?
B) not a terrible lineup?
C) a great lineup?

It's a formidable lineup if Grant is back. We should still be able to compete for dominance in the ACC.

If Grant leaves, we're still a good team. Roberson and BJ will surprise some of you.

In 2 years SU could have Cooney @ PG, Malachi @ SG and BJ @ SF. Potential for the best outside shooting team in SU history. I realize that running Cooney at PG is probably not going to happen for long stretches, but those guys in the lineup at the same time could be a very difficult matchup if they start draining em.

Bus looks to have the potential to be good from the outside as well. The thing about Bus is that he seems to have an aptitude for outside shooting and defense and a de-aptitude for passing and dribbling. Hopefully he can improve his weaknesses substantially.

Just got a Vox Mini 3 G2 practice amp - fun.

If Grant leaves like I expect, Roberson and McC will be the starting forwards. And I think that Roberson will surprise everyone once he gets a chance to play real minutes.

That's the difference.

The consecutive years with early departures is potentially leaving us with a leadership void (and an absence of talented vets). I haven't loved what I've seen the past two seasons. Really going to need Cooney to do something special this year.

Consecutive years with early departures? We went to the F4 last year.

Good thing the last 2 years have warmed us up to games in the 50 because next year we will be lucky to average 45 points a game. I can see a lot of 44-41 type games.

We'll average more next year. This team isn't loaded with 3-4 shooters which a slow pace might benefit. It's got athletes who want to get out and run and play a faced paced offense. I think that's where we go next year.

We'll average more next year. This team isn't loaded with 3-4 shooters which a slow pace might benefit. It's got athletes who want to get out and run and play a faced paced offense. I think that's where we go next year.

"if" Grant leaves who is going to score all of these points? i just don't see any scorers who can consistently give you buckets. i think our defense will once again be very good and keep us in games, but it's tough to run when the zone forces opponents to hold the ball for 30 seconds each possession.

"if" Grant leaves who is going to score all of these points? i just don't see any scorers who can consistently give you buckets. i think our defense will once again be very good and keep us in games, but it's tough to run when the zone forces opponents to hold the ball for 30 seconds each possession.

We've played mine for years. We dint have trouble hitting 60 every year.

We've played mine for years. We dint have trouble hitting 60 every year.

We aren't striving for 60 are we?

I just don't see where the firepower is coming from? Compared to the last 2 years it seems worse and we all saw how much of a struggle we had scoring the ball.

anomander said:
We aren't striving for 60 are we? I just don't see where the firepower is coming from? Compared to the last 2 years it seems worse and we all saw how much of a struggle we had scoring the ball.

In if the opinion that Roberson and McCullough could be a great pair of forwards. Grant stays and that trio would be outstanding.

I guess it could be worse than this year but I doubt it. I think even without Grant our scoring goes up. That's because I think we up the tempo next year resulting in more transition points. I also think our zone will be scary good next year. 6'3 and athletic Joseph along with 6'7 silent G up top. 6'8 and athletic Roberson, 6'9 Grant(if he stays), 6'10 McCoullough ( who is also really athletic), 6'7 BJ Johnson all at forward. Then 6'9 Christmas who protects the rim. Hopefully 6'9 Coleman comes back and then we have 6'10 Obokoh backing up Christmas and Ron Patterson who is known for his defense also up top. Cooney was also good on defense. To me that spells a lot of blocks and steals which equals a lot of opportunities for fast breaks with athletes getting up and down the floor like crazy. And that to me equals more points.

And when teams slow us down we can go inside to Roberson, McCollough, maybe Grant, and we have the shooters with Cooney, BJ Johnson, and Silent G to make them pay for clogging the lane, and finally Joseph and Silent G can break a defense down. Scoring should not be a problem next year.

No I didn't. In that over/under thread I said over. Many said under. I had him pegged for 10ppg and 24-28 mpg with 35-38% from 3. He met or beat that. Those weren't low expectations. Normal growth from last year. What did you expect? 15ppg?
He had a great start to the season, the start did exceed my expectations. However, during the last 15 games or so he had a complete reversion to how he played the prior season, which wasn't very well. I found how he finished the season to be a huge disappointment.

All he had to do was to hit two treys & we are in the Sweet Sixteen against a weak opponent - probably on to the Elite Eight. And don't get me wrong, I am not blaming that loss on Trevor alone - it was a team non-effort.

Bottom line, it wasn't what he did (statistically speaking), but how he did it. He regressed as the season progressed. Not good.

He had a great start to the season, the start did exceed my expectations. However, during the last 15 games or so he had a complete reversion to how he played the prior season, which wasn't very well. I found how he finished the season to be a huge disappointment.

All he had to do was to hit two treys & we are in the Sweet Sixteen against a weak opponent - probably on to the Elite Eight. And don't get me wrong, I am not blaming that loss on Trevor alone - it was a team non-effort.

Bottom line, it wasn't what he did (statistically speaking), but how he did it. He regressed as the season progressed. Not good.

And it all averaged out. The first half season he did just exceed expectations he obliterated them and no way was he gonna keep it up.

We'd also be playing in the sweet 16 if Ennis doesn't go 7-21 and Fair 4-14. All bad. We missed 15 or more jumpers. 4 were Cooney's.

It's not about the talent. It's about the experience. And experience is not just about knowledge of the game. It's that we'd be relying on too many unknown quantities all at once. This eyar Ennis was great, Roberson disappointing and Patterson and Johnson really didn't get a chance because the coach judged by what they showed in practice that they weren't ready.

Next year we could have two disappointing centers and one new guy, one new forward and one who didn't impress this year, a new point guard and a guy mired in a terrible slump at the end of this year, backed up by a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none and two guys who weren't ready this year.

Worst case scenario would be something like the 1996-97 season. But it could be a lot better than that if Joseph and McCullough are great and the other guys get better.

Being a sports fan is all about hope.

'We need our guard to be serviceable at the least.

Our strength is in our bigger men.

The problem that I see next year is that there is no one that stands out as being our potential offensive go to guy. This year it was CJ and he was really not good enough/ consistent enough to fill that role with the supporting cast he had. Next year I don't think we have anyone on the roster that will be as good as CJ was this year in that role. If Grant is back he will be an improved player, but will he be better than CJ was this season???

Maybe I'll be surprised, but JB is going to need to speed the game up next year or we could set offensive basketball back to the pre peach basket era next season.

Ultimately, every player develops in some way over the offseason and its really difficult to predict how those improvements and increased playing time for guys that get it will impact how the team functions as a unit. As individual pieces I am not convinced right now, but those individual pieces could mesh really well. Time will tell.

If Grant leaves like I expect, Roberson and McC will be the starting forwards. And I think that Roberson will surprise everyone once he gets a chance to play real minutes.
I can see this. I liked what I saw from Roberson in limited action this year. I like that I saw some back to the basket offense, something we could've really used this year. If McCullough is as special as some think, I think our offense could be better next year. I also expect some of the other rising sophomores to give us more depth at guard. Hopefully we won't see as many dead legs at the end of next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom