Joseph is the real deal. | Syracusefan.com

Joseph is the real deal.

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
I know it's just an exhibition, but he showed he can get to the hoop with ease. He really has the potential to be an explosive scorer. Count me as someone not concerned with the PG situation. Rebounding on the other hand, killed us today.

I know it's just an exhibition, but he showed he can get to the hoop with ease. He really has the potential to be an explosive scorer. Count me as someone not concerned with the PG situation. Rebounding on the other hand, killed us today.

Agreed. This was the HAND PICKED prospect that our coaching staff went after to be the next lead guard.

I do expect that he'll have some ups and downs [like most frosh], and I hope that the fan base doesn't throw him under the bus if he makes a bad pass or has a bad outing, because I think this kid is legit.

He really has a ton of confidence, and I was impressed by his jump shot. Today was a great measuring stick type of performance for him, against a very good team. He passed the test with flying colors.

Gbinije at the point a lot even with Joseph in the game. Interesting role.

Joseph looked real good. Gbinije and Patterson have made strides. Roberson in the dog house and Cooney looks like his 2014 swoon continues. Line up and minutes still evolving.

No disrespect to Ennis, but watching Joseph not pull back and drive to draw a foul or a layup is a beautiful thing to watch. I can't say it enough, Ennis frustrated the hell out of me when he'd pull back when having numbers or a 2 vs 2 situation.

No disrespect to Ennis, but watching Joseph not pull back and drive to draw a foul or a layup is a beautiful thing to watch. I can't say it enough, Ennis frustrated the hell out of me when he'd pull back when having numbers or a 2 vs 2 situation.
Yup. Kaleb is told to get out and look for it when it's there. I think Ennis could have done this but just didn't shift into second gear as much as we needed him to. We did some more half court around with CJ and Jerami though and although Grant had some inside presence, it didn't often come from the break.

He was everything I expected.

No surprise there.

Chris McCullough, I hope he proved something to you

14 points, 5-10 from field (1-1 from 3) 6 rebounds, and a couple of blocks

Only thing 3-8 from free throw.

Last edited:
Interesting that we made the run with Patterson in the game.

Joseph exceeded my expectations: eager to get out and run, good first step, finished very well (which we haven't seen from that position in two years), and looked to run our sets pretty well. I hope we don't need his jump shooting as a first, second, or third option, but it's nice to see him hit a couple.

Interesting that we made the run with Patterson in the game.

Joseph exceeded my expectations: eager to get out and run, good first step, finished very well (which we haven't seen from that position in two years), and looked to run our sets pretty well. I hope we don't need his jump shooting as a first, second, or third option, but it's nice to see him hit a couple.
Yes -- interesting to see Joseph is that good, that Patterson is much improved as well. The other development was Gbinije's role as a guard on offense -- confident ball-handling, taking some of the load off Joseph's shoulders. Had Gbinije on the ball, and Cooney & Joseph on the wings.

Yes -- interesting to see Joseph is that good, that Patterson is much improved as well. The other development was Gbinije's role as a guard on offense -- confident ball-handling, taking some of the load off Joseph's shoulders. Had Gbinije on the ball, and Cooney & Joseph on the wings.

The great thing about Mike was when Kaleb was out with a cramp or whatever it was he played the 3 on D and PG on O. This allowed Cooney and Ron to space out the floor which gave Rakeem a lot of room to operate even when he got the ball well away from the rim. One of the reason's Ron got all those nice open looks was that Carlton refused to leave Cooney but also helped on Rakeem. That was a really interesting line up especially when you consider that Chris can shoot or post up himself.

Joesph is a very nice PG and there is no doubt in my mind he will push the ball up quicker and better than Ennis. I still see an emotional kid and will be very curious to see how he handles failure/struggle once the schedule starts to bog down on him. I like what I see a lot so far.

Joesph is a very nice PG and there is no doubt in my mind he will push the ball up quicker and better than Ennis. I still see an emotional kid and will be very curious to see how he handles failure/struggle once the schedule starts to bog down on him. I like what I see a lot so far.

He will certainly have his ups and down and make mistakes. I agree with you that he will need to manage his emotions both positive and negative as the season goes on. That said he has all the tools, the ball is on a string, he finished with both hands and man his jumper looks way better than I expected.

Joseph payed a fine game. He will clearly push the ball and try to get this team in transition which is a necessity for us to be succesfull this year, but lets not get too ahead of ourselves. The athleticism on the other side of the floor yesterday was nothing compared to what he will be playing against in the ACC. I would like to see how he performs against some more athletic guards/competition before saying were set at this position for the year.

Chris McCullough, I hope he proved something to you

14 points, 5-10 from field (1-1 from 3) 6 rebounds, and a couple of blocks

Only thing 3-8 from free throw.

I got a little worried about this when I was watching him at the Midnight Madness event when he nearly broke the rim on his free throws...he seems like he has decent touch as a jumpshooter, but he rushes at the line, a lot. He goes up to shoot the ball before he's even finished settling the ball into his hands. I pray the staff picked up on this because it was blatantly obvious to me watching from TV. He bends his legs, and then is still spinning the ball as he's going up for the shot. If he simply bends his legs, gets the ball settled, and then goes up, I expect his free throws would become far more consistent.

I got a little worried about this when I was watching him at the Midnight Madness event when he nearly broke the rim on his free throws...he seems like he has decent touch as a jumpshooter, but he rushes at the line, a lot. He goes up to shoot the ball before he's even finished settling the ball into his hands. I pray the staff picked up on this because it was blatantly obvious to me watching from TV. He bends his legs, and then is still spinning the ball as he's going up for the shot. If he simply bends his legs, gets the ball settled, and then goes up, I expect his free throws would become far more consistent.
He didn't look like he was looking at the basket until the last minute either.

Didn't see the game, like most, I'm sure. But seeing the box score really cemented home the lack of depth we'll have this year. Are we already looking at just a 7 man rotation, maybe 8? And I hope Patterson is ready to contribute, and be a deep threat, we'll need it.

KJ (although very early) looks like a cross between Sherman and Jonny. Seems to have Sherman's tear drop and Jonny's first step. I love KJ's ability to get to the hoop, his midrange game, and his tear drop. And throw in the step back for good measure...

Surely he will be tested soon when some team decides to try to ballhawk him all over the court. That will truly tell us a lot. I think he will hold up fine under pressure though. Does not seem like the type to get rattled easily.

Joseph payed a fine game. He will clearly push the ball and try to get this team in transition which is a necessity for us to be succesfull this year, but lets not get too ahead of ourselves. The athleticism on the other side of the floor yesterday was nothing compared to what he will be playing against in the ACC. I would like to see how he performs against some more athletic guards/competition before saying were set at this position for the year.
Not sure I agree. This is a team that nearly beat Louisville (lost by 1) who went on to win the NC, this year played IU tough and beat Memphis twice, once by 32. Some of those 5 year seniors have held their own against the Russ Smith's of the world. Athleticism or not, they can stick with the best.

The Real Deal with Bill McNeal
2592526-newsradiocomplete2.jpg

Bus will eat in to a TON of Cooney's minutes if he didnt improve in the off season. How long will we continue to call him a shooter if he isnt one? Trevor... time to step it up.

Not sure I agree. This is a team that nearly beat Louisville (lost by 1) who went on to win the NC, this year played IU tough and beat Memphis twice, once by 32. Some of those 5 year seniors have held their own against the Russ Smith's of the world. Athleticism or not, they can stick with the best.

We can agree to disagree, nothing wrong with that. I think Joseph looks to be a fine PG, but IMHO saying that he is a mix of some of our past greats, or even stating we are not going to have to worry about the PG position this year after one preseason game is a bit of a stretch. Nothing wrong with being excited about the season or a player(s), thats what makes us fans :) but its far to early for that kind of talk. I do not know what IU or Memphis has this year, but Carlton's guards are at least a notch, maybe two, below the athleticism of what we will face in the ACC. They play well as a team and can beat you from the arc and playing team ball, but they are MAC level talent when it comes to athliticism. I'd like to wait untill Joseph cuts his teeth against some major D1 competition before really rating his abilities. That said I like having these discussions/debates much more after wins rather than losses!