Joseph v. Patterson: Who you got? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Joseph v. Patterson: Who you got?

With the postseason ban, i'd say Joseph although I still want to make a statement and win games. If no ban, it would be Patterson without a doubt.

Honestly, i'd rather see Cooney/Richardson up top with G/McCullough/Bryant (?) as our starting lineup next year with G running point. Let Joseph and Howard battle it out for backup guard, Roberson/Diagne backup forwards and DC2/Diagne at backup C.

I think that lineup/rotation would dominate.

With the postseason ban, i'd say Joseph although I still want to make a statement and win games. If no ban, it would be Patterson without a doubt.

Honestly, i'd rather see Cooney/Richardson up top with G/McCullough/Bryant (?) as our starting lineup next year with G running point. Let Joseph and Howard battle it out for backup guard, Roberson/Diagne backup forwards and DC2/Diagne at backup C.

That would be my preferred lineup for next year as well. At this point G is a much better PG than Joseph, and our length up top alone would be disruptive with that lineup. It would also be nice to have 3 capable shooters on the court at the same time.

Patterson's abysmal shooting numbers aside, he really is not as terrible an offensive players as some would have you believe. I think he's far better at creating things off the bounce, can get into the lane and has shown an ability to make exceptional passes in tight spaces, resulting in easy buckets for our bigs.

As others have said, Joseph seems far too tentative and really doesn't seem to know what he's gonna do next when he's making a move. How many passes does he make that result in head slaps from the fan base? He throws balls to guys who, even if they could catch them, would have literally nowhere to go with the ball.

Now to answer your question, I think the two of them should split playing time equally. I still think that both of them have pretty good potential, and think we should continue to develop them for next season and beyond. And who knows - maybe now with nothing to play for but pride, Kaleb can loosen up a little and just play ball.
He also is the best on the team at running a fast break. No one else seems to understand filling lanes and forcing the defender to commit prior to making a decision.

IMO, never going to happen. It's nice to dream, but if we are talking reality, Malachi is not a PG, and JB obviously either doesn't think Cooney is either, or doesn't think that is the best use of his skills. (Something I happen to agree with)

He also doesn't think G can play PG on defense (Something else I totally agree with)

Malachi will probably not meet JB's muster on the defensive end, so he will wow us during the cushy season, but then develop a few hemorrhoids during league play.

The fact of the matter is that JB, though not perfect, actually knows quite a lot about basketball, and therefore is utilizing the two the best way possible. They split time, how much depends upon how well each is playing (who makes the fewer, or less egregious mistakes)

The plus/minus does not lie, despite everyone's wishes, Buss brings more to the table currently, though Joseph may well have a higher upside.

Halfmooncuse said:
Two transfers

Literally. LOL

I do think patterson is great at the top of the zone though.

The fact of the matter is that JB, though not perfect, actually knows quite a lot about basketball, and therefore is utilizing the two the best way possible. They split time, how much depends upon how well each is playing (who makes the fewer, or less egregious mistakes)

Since ACC play started there is about an 80 point differential in their plus minus, and it's not like we're getting blown out. We've been so much worse with Joseph on the floor it's ridiculous. I think he's taking into consideration Joseph's value down the road.

Since ACC play started there is about an 80 point differential in their plus minus, and it's not like we're getting blown out. We've been so much worse with Joseph on the floor it's ridiculous. I think he's taking into consideration Joseph's value down the road.

Yes, If you notice the next sentence after the portion of my post that you quoted, I noted that Joseph probably has more upside, so JB plays him as much as he can afford, understanding that the ultimate goal is still to win the game.

It will be interesting to see if JB continues to play the team as he has, or if he changes minutes up because of the ban. Personally, I think JB has too competitive a nature to not make every effort to win each game, and we will likely see very little change in the number of minutes for each player.

be curious to see just how far back dixon plays off patterson today.