Joshua-Pulev | Syracusefan.com

Joshua-Pulev

SWC75

Bored Historian
Anthony Joshua continued his comeback with a 9th round KO of Kubrat Pulev. He started out very tentatively, as did Pulev. The first round was nothing but both men feinting with occasional jabs. I graded that even as that round didn't deserve to matter in the scoring. the fighters were more active in the second but it became obvious that Pulev could never win a decision in this fight. The announcers said he wasn't much of an infighter, (as Ruiz had been) and he was shorter than Joshua with a lesser reach. Joshua seemed content to pick him apart with his jab, as he did against Ruiz but was unafraid of Pulev's punch so he didn't dance around the ring. the fighters just circled each other.

then, in the third round, Joshua realized he could spit Pulev's defense with direct punches and started to score with a hard jab and upper-cuts. He stunned Pulev, who turned around and literally ran to a corner to avoid punishment. I'd thought that referees always end a fight when a fighter turns away from his opponent like that but the ref continued the fight. Joshua knocked Pulev down with a combination but the round ended before he could follow up.

Joshua then went back to using his jab and not mixing it up. he won round after round until the 7th when Pulev finally landed a big right hand and staggers Joshua, who quickly recovered. That was the one round I gave to Pulev, who seemed a very limited opponent. In the 9th, Joshua decided he wanted a knockout and went after Pulev with those uppercuts again. He again knocked him down twice, with Pulev flat on his back the second time. The referee decided to count ten but Pulev was unable to get and the fight was over.

Joshua showed flashes of the aggressive, confident fighter he used to be but also was cautious and, early on quite tentative. his rehabilitation continues but he's not all the way back. And beating the stolid Pulev meant nothing in terms of how he might fare against Tyson Fury, who is five inches taller and a masterful defensive fighter, which i could not say about any of the other heavyweight contenders. There's no way to prepare for Fury.

I’ve never been impressed with Pulev. Was overmatched by Klitschko’s style and size a few years back and Joshua employed the same strategy. Use the jab, fight tall, use distance and limit return fire opportunities to protect the chin.
IMO, DAZN used Pulev as a confidence (and image) booster for Joshua.
I hope we see Fury next, but I think Hearn wants to “milk” and “protect” his last remaining cash cow as long as possible. Joshua is athletic, skilled, hits hard and puts punches together well (I liked the uppercut in this fight). But he’s chinny... I see DAZN matching him with Usyk next for that reason.
Call me crazy, but I think Joshua’s chances with Fury are better than against a Wilder (Pre Fury one at least) or even an Ortiz. And I like Fury allot - when motivated, think he’s the best I’ve seen since Lennox. But he’s not gonna clip Joshua the way the other two will...

anyone watched the NYC kid who just completed his 16th 1st round knockout in a row? Edgar Berlanga throws crazy heavy punches.. swings for the fences.

anyone watched the NYC kid who just completed his 16th 1st round knockout in a row? Edgar Berlanga throws crazy heavy punches.. swings for the fences.
I watched that. He is a bad young man.

Top Rank is trying to showcase him and build fan interest with the “1st Rd streak.” He’s a chucker. Reminds me of a young John Mugabe (mid 80’s) or Pipino Cuevas (mid 70’s). 168 is a deep division and he’s very raw. Would like to see Arum match him more aggressively to test against a better quality opponent...

He reminds me of a young George Foreman. Nothing fancy. He just treats his opponent like the heavy bag and you can hear the "thud" when his punches land. Even blocked punches seem to hurt the opponent. But it's time to leave the 'streak' behind and fight someone in the top ten.

The Stevenson -Clary fight was snoozer, 100-90. Stevenson never really went after him, just picked him apart from distance. The announcers wound up debating whether the fight should be stopped, not because Clary was out on his feet, but because he was getting battered in round after round and that's the real danger to boxers - the accumulation of punches. They finished the fight and I guess Clary must be OK. They talked about how 2021 would be a big year for Stevenson as he'll take on the top guys in the loaned 130 and 135 pound divisions. He's supposed to be the next superstar. I think he needs to be a little less willing to just pile up the points to obtain that status.

The fight of the night and maybe the year was Masayoshi Nakatani over Felix Verdejo. Verdejo dominated most of the fight, knocking his taller opponent down in the 1st and 4th rounds. But Nakaktani started to turn it around and knocked Verdejo down and then out in the 9th.

The Stevenson -Clary fight was snoozer, 100-90. Stevenson never really went after him, just picked him apart from distance. The announcers wound up debating whether the fight should be stopped, not because Clary was out on his feet, but because he was getting battered in round after round and that's the real danger to boxers - the accumulation of punches. They finished the fight and I guess Clary must be OK. They talked about how 2021 would be a big year for Stevenson as he'll take on the top guys in the loaned 130 and 135 pound divisions. He's supposed to be the next superstar. I think he needs to be a little less willing to just pile up the points to obtain that status.

The fight of the night and maybe the year was Masayoshi Nakatani over Felix Verdejo. Verdejo dominated most of the fight, knocking his taller opponent down in the 1st and 4th rounds. But Nakaktani started to turn it around and knocked Verdejo down and then out in the 9th.

Agree - Stevenson needs to show that he can close. Especially against club fighters like Clary. Even when he takes the fight on short notice.
Stevenson is ready for Berchelt. I think he takes Miguel. But I’d pay to see Arum match Stevenson with a come-backing Loma. Same promotional group, easy fight to make (130) and would start potential buzz for a Teo Lopez/Shakur matchup in the future.
Nakatani is one tough customer. Extended Teo Lopez the distance in a competitive fight over a year ago. On the other hand, the former can’t miss prospect Verdejo just can’t seem to get over the hump. Fights like that ruin boxers. Might be over for him as a name in the business.

I had other things going and didn't bother to go out of my way to watch Joshua v Pulev, I don't like Joshua at all, and Pulev eh.

I saw the Berlanga "fight", as I said I wouldn't miss another of his. I can't believe the guy's got legend status going before he ever has a real fight lol. Yeah, agree with you guys he needs a couple steps up in comp. I don't blame his camp/promoter for slow rolling him, but 16 fights in, he's gotta get going now. For a non heavyweight I don't remember off hand, a fighter with heavier hands.

Stevenson just played with Clary, horrible fight. It's not a good indication of how he'd really fight a better opponent. 130 is absolutely packed, and that's great for the sport. I want to see Tank v Loma or a bunch of those matchups in that division honestly, and the good thing is, we're definitely going to. 2021 is looking like another promising year.

I won't go out of my way to watch triple G next week, so Canelo it is, although I'm not excited about that one either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom