JTIII at Georgetown | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JTIII at Georgetown

You got that wrong, I think.

JTII put Esherick, his toady, in that job as a placeholder while JTIII enhanced his resume to the level that putting him in the GU job wouldn't Be laughable.

If JTII had even 25% of the pull that you've claimed throughout the thread, he wouldn't have had to have his son build his resume. Seems more of a conspiracy theory more than anything.

The guy only had Dikembe Mutombo and Alonzo Mourning on the floor TOGETHER for 2 years and couldn't get to a Final Four.
Post Ewing 1985 onward 0 Final Fours, 2
Elite Eights.
Numerous choke jobs in the tournament. JT II shouldn't have this god like power.
His son is first coach to be eliminated in 4 straight NCAA tournament by double digits seeds.

Please keep him Hoyas.

4 years of Mourning...3 second round exits. Only his freshman year did they make a run. 1 elite 8 and 1 sweet 16 in the 90s - both with Iverson. Other than that: 1 first round exit, 4 second round exits, and 3 NIT's.

I hope he stays there for another 50 years.

I watched the end of the DePaul game and was high fiving myself.

They can rot.

4 years of Mourning...3 second round exits. Only his freshman year did they make a run. 1 elite 8 and 1 sweet 16 in the 90s - both with Iverson. Other than that: 1 first round exit, 4 second round exits, and 3 NIT's.
That just tells you how good Ewing was. He was so good, he overpowered JTII's lack of coaching ability.

JTIII has made that program completely irrelevant, he should be fired.

That just tells you how good Ewing was. He was so good, he overpowered JTII's lack of coaching ability.
College Patrick Ewing was the most dominant defensive big man ever.
There also wasn't a 3 point line or shot clock.
Young Ewing could jump around like a tiger in the paint. He was dominant. Those 4 years shouldn't give JT II carpe blanche for life.

JT III's fate isn't being determined by JT II.

Young Ewing could jump around like a tiger in the paint. He was dominant. Those 4 years shouldn't give JT II carpe blanche for life.

Seize the white?

J/k

If JTII had even 25% of the pull that you've claimed throughout the thread, he wouldn't have had to have his son build his resume. Seems more of a conspiracy theory more than anything.

And your knowledge of Georgetown consists of what exactly?

I live a couple of blocks from D.C. And my neighbors are heavily GU alums.I am also tapped in the D.C. Basketball network starting with the WCAC.

I actually have a clue, whereas you ...

Wrong. JTIII cannot be removed without JTIi's acquiescence.

The school has the new JT II athletic center underway. He's an icon there.

I live a couple of blocks from D.C. And my neighbors are heavily GU alums.I am also tapped in the D.C. Basketball network starting with the WCAC.

I don't think you need all of the conspiracy theorizing about Esherick etc. to get to more or less the same point.

Georgetown before JTII was a mostly regional, mostly catholic school. Georgetown after 1984 became a national university. Thompson rightfully gets a lot of credit for this, and pulls a lot of weight because of that.

More recently, as Townie just noted, the school opened last year the John Thompson Athletic Center, Georgetown's much-delayed Melo Center equivalent. The Thompsons, and those associated with the Thompsons, were responsible for a lot of the fundraising there.

Imagine if Boeheim said tomorrow he wasn't leaving after next year, regardless of any agreement. Syracuse probably would end up pushing him out anyway, but it wouldn't be pleasant, and I'm not sure I would bet against Boeheim winning that battle.

I don't think you need all of the conspiracy theorizing about Esherick etc. to get to more or less the same point.

Georgetown before JTII was a mostly regional, mostly catholic school. Georgetown after 1984 became a national university. Thompson rightfully gets a lot of credit for this, and pulls a lot of weight because of that.

More recently, as Townie just noted, the school opened last year the John Thompson Athletic Center, Georgetown's much-delayed Melo Center equivalent. The Thompsons, and those associated with the Thompsons, were responsible for a lot of the fundraising there.

Imagine if Boeheim said tomorrow he wasn't leaving after next year, regardless of any agreement. Syracuse probably would end up pushing him out anyway, but it wouldn't be pleasant, and I'm not sure I would bet against Boeheim winning that battle.
Waltdods,

These guys just want to argue.

I guess they are tired of continually whining about Boeheim, the defense, the offense, recruiting and any thing else they can think of.

I gave them the logic up in this thread. The paint is hardly dry on the John Thompson, Jr Intercollegiate Athletic Center and GU is going to fire his son. After all, writes Alsace, the only really successful seasons JT Jr had was when Ewing played there. as if that mattered.

Those other thing they don't and can't understand is how small and powerless the Georgetown basketball fan base is. The Verizon Center is half filled for most games and that includes fans of the opposing teams.

I know a lot of GU alums and most of them aren't basketball fans.

Georgetown would actually fit very nicely in the Ivy League. They somehow got stuck with this outsized basketball program that isn't anything like any of their other programs.

Last edited:
Dude, What?
That's not the point at all.

The point is that people thought that because Georgetown Had an all Black team and a Black coach that they must be a HBC. What is was was an almost all White university with a completely non-representative team.

Deflecting again?

What's your opposing argument?

Why do you think he'll be fired. and how do you see that happening?

I'm asking with as much pull as JT2 seemingly has why JT3 would have to wait 9 years of coaching before getting the gig at Georgetown.

Could he get fired? Sure. Why wouldn't they fire him? Because he's shown that he can coach in the past and they may not get a solid coach in there. It is not an impressive job anymore and may never be, who is going to go there to coach, then figure out of JT3 is better than that coach.

220px-Ronald_Reagan_with_John_Thompson,_Patrick_Ewing.jpg

That's not the point at all.

The point is that people thought that because Georgetown Had an all Black team and a Black coach that they must be a HBC. What is was was an almost all White university with a completely non-representative team.
I did not reply to that comment.

Georgetown Basketball much like Nebraska Football will never "be back".
You've obviously lost your place.

This thread is about why Georgetown will not and cannot fire it's coach.

The tiny rebellion calling for JTIII's ouster don't stand a chance against Darth Vader.

And the University may not needa powerhouse team all that much. They got what they never even dreamed of. A position as the Top Catholic (or somewhat Catholic) university. Not much need for it now.

They'd prefer to keep JTIII and avoid the fistfight with the old man.

You've obviously lost your place.

This thread is about why Georgetown will not and cannot fire it's coach.

The tiny rebellion calling for JTIII's ouster don't stand a chance against Darth Vader.

And the University may not needa powerhouse team all that much. They got what they never even dreamed of. A position as the Top Catholic (or somewhat Catholic) university. Not much need for it now.

They'd prefer to keep JTIII and avoid the fistfight with the old man.

While i think you've accurately diagnosed some of the issues with moving on from Thompson, I think this post is much too definitive. I think there's a small but real chance he is gone after this year, and a better than even chance he doesn't last past next season if it is a repeat of this one.

I'm asking with as much pull as JT2 seemingly has why JT3 would have to wait 9 years of coaching before getting the gig at Georgetown.

Could he get fired? Sure. Why wouldn't they fire him? Because he's shown that he can coach in the past and they may not get a solid coach in there. It is not an impressive job anymore and may never be, who is going to go there to coach, then figure out of JT3 is better than that coach.
The answer to your question is that is how long it took.

The son had to be seasoned enough so that JTII would feel comfortable he wouldnT be overmatched. He was being groomed for the job.

JTII had Esherick put in the job and then he had his son put on the job as his replacement.

They'll have o give JTIII four or five more years so he can get the full benefit of the John Thompson Jr Intercollegiate Athletic Center.