Class of 2016 - JUCO CB Michael Moore Signed with UTSA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 JUCO CB Michael Moore Signed with UTSA

Do we know that, or are you just assuming?
We know he only visited 2 schools (Utah St and Louisiana Monroe) while at Palomar based on the TOS article and I assume he would have taken a P5 opportunity out of HS rather than attend a juco.

We know he only visited 2 schools (Utah St and Louisiana Monroe) while at Palomar based on the TOS article and I assume he would have taken a P5 opportunity out of HS rather than attend a juco.

He just finished his freshman year at Palomar. Most JUCOs don't get recruited until after their sophomore year, which is why we can't read too much into visits he's taken or offers he's had extended at this point.

The rest of the conclusions are unsubstantiated guesses until we get more information about this prospect.

He just finished his freshman year at Palomar. Most JUCOs don't get recruited until after their sophomore year, which is why we can't read too much into visits he's taken or offers he's had extended at this point.

The rest of the conclusions are unsubstantiated guesses until we get more information about this prospect.
Exactly

According to the Palomar website, he's from Escondido, which is less than 10 miles from campus. Did he visit? That's quite a shift from San Diego to Syracuse.

According to the Palomar website, he's from Escondido, which is less than 10 miles from campus. Did he visit? That's quite a shift from San Diego to Syracuse.

He visited this past weekend I believe.

He would still have a redshirt year to take if needed, hence 4 to play 3.
Your right it's a 5 year clock from the date you start school. Was thinking of a different situation.

I work in Escondido, must've seen my license plate frame in town ;)

Why would he go to JUCO out of high school if he had other options?

I trust the staff but it's okay to tell it like it is.

He sorta looks like Malachi Richardson. Maybe it's just the hair. Welcome to the Cuse Michael.

Great "get." Sounds like we exploited the same loophole that we did with Michael Lasker [i.e., most other schools figured he needed to graduate, but since he was qualified he could transfer after his first year].

The write up on him makes him sound like a prospect with a ton of potential--and we need all the secondary help we can get.

Yep this was key. Hopefully he turns out better then Lasker, but great value get. I know at the time the staff thought if Lasker made it to his Soph. year that we wouldn't have a chance. They thought he was going to be a big time recruit, and he very may well have been. 6'6 310lbs with mobility. But back to this kid. Having him make the grade this late worked out great for us. Perfect fit into our defensive system as well. Definitely worth the shot.

Why would he go to JUCO out of high school if he had other options?

I trust the staff but it's okay to tell it like it is.

Tell what like it "is?" I don't know anything about this kid, other than the Scout summary and some film--hence, why guessing or attributions are unsubstantiated.

Yep this was key. Hopefully he turns out better then Lasker, but great value get. I know at the time the staff thought if Lasker made it to his Soph. year that we wouldn't have a chance. They thought he was going to be a big time recruit, and he very may well have been. 6'6 310lbs with mobility. But back to this kid. Having him make the grade this late worked out great for us. Perfect fit into our defensive system as well. Definitely worth the shot.

Agreed. Funny thing is, Lasker showed promise his first year, and then seemed to regress. Very weird, given how he showed early.

But to this kid, we need a talent infusion in the secondary. Garcia's write up about his skill set made him sound very, very promising. 6-2 with 4.5 speed? Consider how few defensive backs ran that fast at the recent NFL combine.

Will he pan out? Who knows. But this was a nice "get" as a late February add to the class of 2016. Credit to the staff for leaving no stone unturned.

Tell what like it "is?" I don't know anything about this kid, other than the Scout summary and some film--hence, why guessing or attributions are unsubstantiated.
You're taking this too seriously and/or making it more complicated than it is. He wouldn't have chosen to go to JUCO if he had any offers at all coming out of high school. And that's okay...it doesn't mean he can't develop into a good player.

You're taking this too seriously and/or making it more complicated than it is. He wouldn't have chosen to go to JUCO if he had any offers at all coming out of high school. And that's okay...it doesn't mean he can't develop into a good player.

You don't know why he ended up at a JUCO. Neither do I. You're just making an assumption that he didn't have offers--might end up being correct, but then again maybe it won't. Maybe he just qualified late and offers dried up as teams moved on to other prospects who were qualified. Lots of kids who are great athletes who garner early recruiting attention see it dry up when they look like academic non-qualifiers.

Now that he IS qualified, I'm more interested in Garcia's assessment of his capabilities, his measureables / athleticism, and that he appears to be a great system fit. Nothing I've seen thus far indicates why he ended up at a JUCO or what offers he might have had coming out of high school. BUT him not going on many visits or having extensive offers as a JUCO frosh isn't a cause for concern--unless I'm mistaken, D1 coaches aren't able to contact JUCOs during their freshman season anyway [at least that's how it is in basketball recruiting]. So he was right at the beginning stages of the recruiting process at the JUCO level, and our coaches found him and were able to take advantage of a scenario where the kid was qualified, didn't have to complete the second year at the JUCO level, and could enroll at the end of the semester. Who knows what type of offers the kid would have had if he'd gone back for a second year and been open to be recruited. 6-2 corners [and some articles list him at 6-3] who run 4.5 are highly sought after commodities. There's nothing complicated about it.

It seems that numerous people--including myself--have acknowledged and qualified it sufficiently that it remains to be seen how good he is, how quickly he'll contribute, whether he'll pan out, etc. Qualifications aside, there is no need to suggest he's a reach based upon the state of his recruitment as a freshman JUCO--because his recruiting process had barely gotten started.

Last edited:
orangenirvana said:

Sounds like he qualified late in the process. That alone keeps offers down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom