Class of 2017 - JUCO G Dante Thorpe | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 JUCO G Dante Thorpe

Oráiste

2017 Iggy Award Winner
6-4 guard originally out of Washington, DC. Plays for Triton College in Illinois. Last year, he helped lead them to the NJCAA DII title game. They are currently ranked #1 with a 28-2 record (but they lost their last game & will probably drop when the next rankings come out). Thorpe is averaging 19.8 ppg (and he's doing it in only 16 minutes per game - Triton has 11 guys who have appeared in at least 25 games and nobody averages more than Thorpe's 16 mpg). He's shooting 56% overall, 44% from three and 78% from the line.

Hopefully as good as Otis Thorpe or Morris Thorpe.

upload_2017-2-27_20-54-7.png

6-4 guard originally out of Washington, DC. Plays for Triton College in Illinois. Last year, he helped lead them to the NJCAA DII title game. They are currently ranked #1 with a 28-2 record (but they lost their last game & will probably drop when the next rankings come out). Thorpe is averaging 19.8 ppg (and he's doing it in only 16 minutes per game - Triton has 11 guys who have appeared in at least 25 games and nobody averages more than Thorpe's 16 mpg). He's shooting 56% overall, 44% from three and 78% from the line.
Again , we should be on a kid like this knowing where our recruiting stands at the moment.:noidea:

He a point, a 2, a combo guard?

You know what, nevermind, it doesn't even matter. We need all kinds of guards. Sign him up.

LOL, good point but I was wondering what position he played as well. 20 pts in 16min he's a scorer thats for sure.

He a point, a 2, a combo guard?

You know what, nevermind, it doesn't even matter. We need all kinds of guards. Sign him up.
Triton only lists him as a guard, I assume from his scoring that he's a 2 or at best a combo. His assist numbers are pretty low for a point - 2.7 per game - but then again, he's only playing 16 minutes per. I found a high school recruiting page for Dante Thorpe from DC that lists him as a combo, but I'm not sure its the same kid - has him class of 2012 and 6-1. It's possible that he grew 3 inches, and that would make him a 24 year old junior if he came to SU next year.

Numbers can only tell you so much. When I look at his offers, I see they are all from mid-majors - and not high mid-majors, either. So that tells me what the high D1 talent evaluators think, and they are passing.

On the other hand, Gillon came out of a low mid-major, so who knows? I do like that he would add not only shooting skills, but maturity. Not just in age, but a guy who fights against odds and makes such a long journey to play in a venue like the Carrier Dome would bring an appreciation to the locker room, much as Gillon has. Plus, he is coming from a winning program with tournament experience. Junior college titles seem like small potatoes to us, but those tourney games are intense and high pressure to the kids playing in them.

Triton only lists him as a guard, I assume from his scoring that he's a 2 or at best a combo. His assist numbers are pretty low for a point - 2.7 per game - but then again, he's only playing 16 minutes per. I found a high school recruiting page for Dante Thorpe from DC that lists him as a combo, but I'm not sure its the same kid - has him class of 2012 and 6-1. It's possible that he grew 3 inches, and that would make him a 24 year old junior if he came to SU next year.

Numbers can only tell you so much. When I look at his offers, I see they are all from mid-majors - and not high mid-majors, either. So that tells me what the high D1 talent evaluators think, and they are passing.

On the other hand, Gillon came out of a low mid-major, so who knows? I do like that he would add not only shooting skills, but maturity. Not just in age, but a guy who fights against odds and makes such a long journey to play in a venue like the Carrier Dome would bring an appreciation to the locker room, much as Gillon has. Plus, he is coming from a winning program with tournament experience. Junior college titles seem like small potatoes to us, but those tourney games are intense and high pressure to the kids playing in them.

Looks like the same kid from the 2012 class. Same HS is listed on Triton's roster. Looks like he's a redshirt, but not sure where the other two seasons went...

They are also mostly low majors he's getting recruited by. As of late December, he had one offer, UW-Green Bay. The other interest seems to be from: UTEP, Southern Illinois, Eastern Illinois, NC Central, Milwaukee, Portland State, Valparaiso, Nicholls State, Wright State, and Quinnipiac.

Looks like the "best" JUCO players have already committed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom