JUCO Players | Syracusefan.com

JUCO Players

Faegan

All Conference
One of the elements of Marrone's success at SU was the way he was able to bring in key contributors from JUCOs. Goggins, Siriki, etc... I forget all of the players. Will be interesting to see if we dip into the JUCO pool or not. Don't have to follow recruiting like I used to, so would be interesting to hear from those that do.

One of the elements of Marrone's success at SU was the way he was able to bring in key contributors from JUCOs. Goggins, Siriki, etc... I forget all of the players. Will be interesting to see if we dip into the JUCO pool or not. Don't have to follow recruiting like I used to, so would be interesting to hear from those that do.
Part of the problem with our depth now is all the JUCO players that Marrone brought in...too many. There were the ones that didn't make it or got kicked off the team. It was a quick fix that is hurting us now.

Part of the problem with our depth now is all the JUCO players that Marrone brought in...too many. There were the ones that didn't make it or got kicked off the team. It was a quick fix that is hurting us now.

Not really. Marrone's juco players are long gone at this point. The problem is more the weak 2013 class (hurt by Marrone's departure), the defections/non-quals from Shafer's first full class (2014), and a few casualties in his otherwise good 2015 class.
We needed Marrone's juco players to return to respectability, but as they left, we needed to replace them with quality recruits, upgrade year to year, and use the slots effectively. We have numbers (82 scholarship players) but not the quality needed.

Shafer rarely sought JUCO players, and Dino brought only a few into BGSU. Compare Louisville which has a good number of JUCOs.

we need some another michael hay and andrew tiller.

Not really. Marrone's juco players are long gone at this point. The problem is more the weak 2013 class (hurt by Marrone's departure), the defections/non-quals from Shafer's first full class (2014), and a few casualties in his otherwise good 2015 class.
We needed Marrone's juco players to return to respectability, but as they left, we needed to replace them with quality recruits, upgrade year to year, and use the slots effectively. We have numbers (82 scholarship players) but not the quality needed.

Shafer rarely sought JUCO players, and Dino brought only a few into BGSU. Compare Louisville which has a good number of JUCOs.

Here is the 2013 Class...that is too many JUCOs. If they had recruited HS kids they might still be here and there would be more depth.

Luke Arciniega Sierra Community College Sparks NV MIKE 6-3 245 2 3 2013 Signed LOI
Malcolm Howard Navarro JC (Yates HS) Corsicana TX SAM 6-3 215 2013 Signed LOI
Darius Kelly Pima Community College Tucson AZ SS 5-11 195 3 2 2013 Signed LOI
Josh Kirkland Butler Community College Plaxico KS OLB 6-3 211 2 2 2013 Signed LOI
Michael Lasker Riverside CC (Santiago HS) Corona CA OT 6-4 315 2013 Signed LOI
Tyler Marona Pasadena Community College La Canada CA DE 6-5 250 2013 Signed LOI
John Miller Los Angeles Harbor JUCO Los Angeles CA C 6-4 310 3 3 2013 Signed LOI
Trevon Trejo Golden West Junior College Huntington Beach CA DE 6-5 240 3 2 2013 Signed LOI

And this isn't counting Zian Jones and Markus Pierce Brewster who were recuited in the 2012 class.

I feel like if you want to go JUCO, you've really got to go all chips in and you just expect that every season you're going to bring in 5-6 of them. That gets you into the right pipelines for the best prospects and stabilizes your roster management somewhat.

we need some another michael hay and andrew tiller.
When I saw Tiller's name in the list of starters for the 49ers, it rang a bell but I didn't immediately remember who he even was. Then it did. THEN I had the "how the f is that guy starting in the NFL" reaction.

Kansas St. does a decent job with JUCO's too...much rather go that route and be/remain relevant vs. a continued state of flux.

Kansas St. does a decent job with JUCO's too...much rather go that route and be/remain relevant vs. a continued state of flux.
Marquise Blair 4 star high school safety and Syracuse commit is available for 2017, currently listed as olb, 6-3 200. I wonder if Syracuse is after him, he could be a good safety in the tamp 2. Doesn't look like the new staff is after jc's.

Think you can probably handle taking a class of 5-6 of them in 1 year to stabalize a brutal team and to counteract the usual attrition of year 1 of a new regime but then you kind of need to taper it over the next few years with 2 or 3 each year so that there isn't a massive depth disaster that hits all at once like we're seeing this year from that 2013 class listed.

Seems like some view JUCOs as a magic bullet. The JUCOs that we typically land aren't the highly touted ones [although we could sure use a Darius Kelley type in the secondary next year].

If we could make inroads at a feeder JUCO, this might become a viable strategy. But we aren't just going to start landing top flight JUCOs who are starting caliber. The KSU's mine that source because where they're located, there are dozens of programs in relative proximity to where their school is located. We had a brief flirtation with Nassau CC, but the ties are now gone.

If we can land a blue chip stud JUCO at any position [except for QB, with what we have in the pipeline], I think we have to go for it. Especially if that player is a DE, LB, CB, or S. But we generally aren't landing that caliber of JUCO prospect, so it remains to be seen if anyone we bring in would be better than landing a HS equivalent.

My understanding is that KState has much lower admission requirements, including accepting partial qualifiers.

I agree. In my neck of the woods, Charlie Weis killed Kansas with JUCOs who didn't pan out. Well it was pretty much killed after Turner Gill's two years, but Weis somehow made it worse and it was a big reason David Beatty only had 65 or so scholarship players last year. It can work out well like it has with Bill Snyder, but when it goes wrong, it can really blow up in your face.

Here is the 2013 Class...that is too many JUCOs. If they had recruited HS kids they might still be here and there would be more depth.

Luke Arciniega Sierra Community College Sparks NV MIKE 6-3 245 2 3 2013 Signed LOI
Malcolm Howard Navarro JC (Yates HS) Corsicana TX SAM 6-3 215 2013 Signed LOI
Darius Kelly Pima Community College Tucson AZ SS 5-11 195 3 2 2013 Signed LOI
Josh Kirkland Butler Community College Plaxico KS OLB 6-3 211 2 2 2013 Signed LOI
Michael Lasker Riverside CC (Santiago HS) Corona CA OT 6-4 315 2013 Signed LOI
Tyler Marona Pasadena Community College La Canada CA DE 6-5 250 2013 Signed LOI
John Miller Los Angeles Harbor JUCO Los Angeles CA C 6-4 310 3 3 2013 Signed LOI
Trevon Trejo Golden West Junior College Huntington Beach CA DE 6-5 240 3 2 2013 Signed LOI

And this isn't counting Zian Jones and Markus Pierce Brewster who were recuited in the 2012 class.

Good list -- though this was Shafer's first class (some might have been contacted by Marrone/Adkin), and I believe several were late additions. Howard never made it here, Marona and Trejo were injured -- so those scholarships were freed for the 2014 class. In the other five, you have 2 starters, 2 who played significantly (Arciniega and Kirkland) and one who is providing depth this season at both OT positions. Pretty good yield. And not much of an impact on the current depth, if the high school recruiting with the available slots had been better.

If we can land a blue chip stud JUCO at any position [except for QB, with what we have in the pipeline], I think we have to go for it. Especially if that player is a DE, LB, CB, or S. But we generally aren't landing that caliber of JUCO prospect, so it remains to be seen if anyone we bring in would be better than landing a HS equivalent.

Babers did not do much in the JUCO ranks while at BGSU, but he did land a TE from a Kansas juco who stepped right in to start for BG last season. If he can do that for BG, who not for SU? Not a handful, just one or two to fill a need or fit his system.

Babers did not do much in the JUCO ranks while at BGSU, but he did land a TE from a Kansas juco who stepped right in to start for BG last season. If he can do that for BG, who not for SU? Not a handful, just one or two to fill a need or fit his system.

IF they can land a starting caliber player that is an upgrade, then I'm all for it.

But, circling back to a point from my original post, we don't often land those caliber of JUCOs. And when we do, there are usually extenuating circumstances [i.e., Tiller's JUCO coach was coming to SU, and made a big push for his player to follow].

Good list -- though this was Shafer's first class (some might have been contacted by Marrone/Adkin), and I believe several were late additions. Howard never made it here, Marona and Trejo were injured -- so those scholarships were freed for the 2014 class. In the other five, you have 2 starters, 2 who played significantly (Arciniega and Kirkland) and one who is providing depth this season at both OT positions. Pretty good yield. And not much of an impact on the current depth, if the high school recruiting with the available slots had been better.
No most all were recruited by Adkins and signed the beginning of December 2012...before the Marrone implosion. And that many JUCOs in one class, unless you are going to recruit that many every year like K State, will hurt depth in the long run.

Juco players cant fix the secondary this year. Try to bring on a few next year to preserve some shirts in the 2017 db class. The 2 safeties not playing this year for different reasons are killing us. We have a redshirt bonfire currently underway and its hard to build depth going forward.

I'd take two JUCO DB (1 S and 1 CB) and 1 DE. Decent stopgap that doesn't hurt future players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom