Class of 2018 - JUCO RB Jo-El Shaw (Lackawanna CC) Verbal to Kent St | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 JUCO RB Jo-El Shaw (Lackawanna CC) Verbal to Kent St

Agree with a lot of what was written here, yet at the end of it all he is likely just a kid who was disappointed that he didn't get what he wanted - to play P5 football right out of high school. Sure his ego is involved, and maybe he's projecting his failure to qualify on others. At the end of it all if Dino wants him I guess he is going to have to simply reboot the relationship which he seems to have done. Let's see where it takes us.

He seems sensitive. At the end of the day, he didn't live up to his end of the bargain and the staff had a season to prep for/other recruits to budget time for.

Yes, agree, reading his quotes, he seems hurt, sensitive, and sour grapes. Kinda like the girl you broke up with and asking for her back. Thing is SU was true, made him an offer, he didn't keep up his end of the deal (qualifying). And now, after SU didn't communcate for a year but tracked him and his grades, he is sour. Hey, JES, I love ya, love your game, respect the fact you put it all together, but be happy SU is still interested. Our staff must think very highly of you to reoffer, its pretty rare. You loved this place enough to commit last year, you still love it, the love is under the bowl of sour grapes. Would love to see you in Orange:)

I think the part the fans here are missing is the kids perception of how life should be. I know when shy was endanger of failing and not being eligible schools made juco seem like a stop gap on the way to getting to d1. I'm sure when he didn't qualify the staff said go get it done and we will keep in touch. The reality of that statement is more like show us you can do it and we will talk. I don't think a lot of kids realize how few kids make it out of juco back to d1. Even top recruits who don't qualify can pass juco and be forgotten. I think the kid is hurt by the reality of how this business works. It is a business and a lot of it is ugly. Some stuff that happens outside the public view is nasty. I get with millions on the line it has to be but I also get that kids coming in from high school don't get it. Kids aren't prepared they just think if I can play schools will get me in and life will be great. Real life is hard to swallow at 18 19 years old

I don't think a lot of kids realize how few kids make it out of juco back to d1.

That's a very good point. It always pains me when I see a recruit go the JUCO route - we rarely land them again after that. If they don't flame out they go elsewhere. Keith Belton and Jamar Atkinson are the only 2 I can think of that didn't qualify, went JUCO and still ended up at SU.

That's a very good point. It always pains me when I see a recruit go the JUCO route - we rarely land them again after that. If they don't flame out they go elsewhere. Keith Belton and Jamar Atkinson are the only 2 I can think of that didn't qualify, went JUCO and still ended up at SU.
Eric Downing?

Jo-El is a physical specimen and a player that could give our run game the boost it needs. I hope we sign him and he comes ready to run hard for Cuse!

I wonder if other schools stayed in touch. If they did and we didn't, it makes sense we'd be behind right now. It makes sense that he'd have a bitter taste toward the school that he signed with, if they went away while others stayed in touch. If nobody stayed maintained contact, game on.

Is it his fault he didn't get it done in HS? Yeah.

Would it have been hard for us to call or text every now and then to say, "Hey, hope you're getting it done in the classroom. I'm looking forward to seeing that transcript?" No. Not if you think he could be a stud for a couple years after juco.

A 235 lb bruiser at RB? I don't see any of those on the roster or commit list yet, so let's get him if we can.

This is kind of a strange out of the blue comment from Shaw. Makes me wonder if our offer is as much for a potential linebacker as RB. He apparently would not be amenable to a position change.

This is kind of a strange out of the blue comment from Shaw. Makes me wonder if our offer is as much for a potential linebacker as RB. He apparently would not be amenable to a position change.

He was offered as a RB before doubt that would change now.

He was offered as a RB before doubt that would change now.

Like RBs have never been switched to defense, if team needs and personnel indicate that would be best for the team.
I was not saying he would not be given a look at RB, but the fact is we have more bodies at that position than we did when he was initially recruited.

Last edited:
Like RBs have never been switched to defense, if team needs and personnel indicate that would be best for the team.
I was not saying he would not be given a look at RB, but the fact is we have more bodies at that position than we did when he was initially recruited.

He will not be switching.

I wouldn't read to much into it. Probably nothing more than a college kid's attempt at being funny by busting on the defenders that couldn't tackle him or maybe paying a complement to teammates.

The "we" I am referring to is Dino. The "we" you are referring to is Schafe.

I don't think that's true. He had a Bowling Green offer also that year. I thought it was Mike Hart who went after him for us.

I don't think that's true. He had a Bowling Green offer also that year. I thought it was Mike Hart who went after him for us.

This ... Schaefer didn't recruit him...

He has an offer from the current staff, do you have some inside info that we are not longer going after him?
No. It just looks like they are done recruiting running backs with three verbals and Dixon considered the power back. I'd prefer Jo-El as the power back. Of course, February is still a long way from now.