Judah Mintz: Sixers Summer League | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz: Sixers Summer League

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_4901.jpeg

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I feel a personal need on multiple levels to set the record straight on a few things.

I live in Utah after growing up in Syracuse. This isn't common in Utah.

I'm also a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon). If grooming occurred, as alleged, that's not something we teach in the Church. I'm also responsible for what's taught in Sunday School for 7 local congregations as part of the calling I have (callings are volunteer assignments accepted by members to support their local congregation/s). My point in mentioning that is I have deep familiarity with what the church teaches and the material everyone teaches from. All of the various curricula taught can be found in Libraries at Homepage - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The current Sunday School curriculum is called Come, Follow Me. You can also find the training resource for teachers in the other manuals section called Teaching in the Savior's Way.

Now, I don't know the personal details of the relationship, but some things aren't adding up.

First, Mormons have a fascination with people from the faith that rise to the level of celebrity. We have a weirdly encyclopedic awareness of famous or internet famous people that are currently in the faith or were once in the faith. Supposedly Filipowski converted to the faith via his relationship with this woman. Nobody, including rabid Jazz fans that are Mormon, knew that until the brother's tweets. It's extremely unusual that a high profile athlete would be a member of the church and that would be completely unknown. Do we actually know for sure or have seen it confirmed anywhere that Filipowski identifies as a member of the church? I haven't seen that, and if he does, the circumstances are a bit unusual because...

Second, the church is really big on the law of chastity. The idea that this woman seduced him into conversion is just... bizarre. I'm skeptical that he would have been permitted to get baptized if it was known he was sleeping with her. The church is also big on teaching that the powers of creation are beautiful and sacred and should be expressed after marriage between spouses, not before. Are we even certain this woman is currently practicing the faith?

Third, and I've mentioned this elsewhere, there's a stereotype that "Mormons are weird" and far too often what ends up happening is a mental short cut, where something weird happens by someone associated with Mormonism, because "Mormons are weird," it's just quickly assessed that it must be part of Mormonism, instead of viewing the actions of the individual as their own, and the whole religion is cast in the light of one person's actions. It definitely seems like people are jumping to these kinds of conclusions with this idea of "Mormon grooming." It sounds sensational, Mormons are weird anyway, so it's believable to some. But it's also extremely frustrating as a person in the faith, and in a religion that is really misunderstood, and often caricatured in media. I saw a post on a Jazz forum that I haven't been able to find from someone that knows the woman's family and claims it's been years since she has identified with the church and hasn't gone to church for years. How "Mormon" is a person like that? Now, who knows if that's true either about her, but I do find a lot of news stories where people have committed a crime or done something terrible and part of the demographic details are that they're Mormon. And then later it comes out that they were baptized and briefly attended services years ago and weren't currently practicing. But the Mormon association sticks.

Now, here's the thing - I'm not saying that association shouldn't stick. Part of the Savior's mission was serving the sick and the afflicted. People need help, and I'd rather my faith have open arms to the imperfect and try and help them (to say nothing of the doctrine that we all fall short and need a Savior). It's not better for religions to turn people away because they might be problematic later. Better to try and serve them and help them and hope they grow and become the best they can as they learn and follow good teachings. We're human though, so it doesn't always work. But it doesn't always mean that the thing they failed in happened because Mormons taught them to fail in some weird way.

To wrap up, and in response to the post I quoted, I wouldn't make the assumption that somehow she had a master plan to get him to Utah because of "the culture." There are so many things that don't make sense and are really inconsistent in this story. It is a weird story. Family estrangements like are alleged here almost always have an unusual element to them. But please everyone, be careful about casting aspersions on entire populations of people in religions and US states based on the alleged actions of one person.

Mormons aren't as weird as you're told and Utah is a boringly normal place to live.

Sorry party crasher here, And I agree that part of the Savior's mission was serving the sick and afflicted, yes he also came to seek and save the lost. Jesus wrote this, I, did not. He also said in His Word Do not add to or take away from this book... Meaning the Bible. His Word also spoke directly in the Gospel of John, saying the Messiah (God in the flesh) dwelt among us. A Christian, (Someone who has His Agape Love living in them by choice) which means Christ like always has it in their heart to love and bless if they really want to follow the Holy Spirit, if you follow Him it is literally impossible not to. When you do wrong you certainly are not following Him. When you add to His book, you do wrong. I did not write this in His book. Has anyone ever heard of pseudomoralism? I could write volumes. And by the way Morman culture is 1,000,000% about evangelism With a cloak of good works. That is why there is so many religions out there, but I assure you there is only 1 God and he has one Son, His Spirit Is alive and full of Zoe LIFE and He, through what His Son did changed my life through the power of his Spirit, Amazing Grace. Someone else wrote, and I followed with all due respect. JCIL with big, big love

Last edited:
Sorry party crasher here, And I agree that part of the Savior's mission was serving the sick and afflicted, yes he also came to seek and save the lost. Jesus wrote this, I, did not. He also said in His Word Do not add to or take away from this book... Meaning the Bible. His Word also spoke directly in the Gospel of John, saying the Messiah (God in the flesh) dwelt among us. A Christian, (Someone who has His Agape Love living in them by choice) which means Christ like always has it in their heart to love and bless if they really want to follow the Holy Spirit, if you follow Him it is literally impossible not to. When you do wrong you certainly are not following Him. When you add to His book, you do wrong. I did not write this in His book. Has anyone ever heard of pseudomoralism? I could write volumes. And by the way Morman culture is 1,000,000% about evangelism With a cloak of good works. That is why there is so many religions out there, but I assure you there is only 1 God and he has one Son, His Spirit Is alive and full of Zoe LIFE and He, through what His Son did changed my life through the power of his Spirit, Amazing Grace. Someone else wrote, and I followed with all due respect. JCIL with big, big love
You can come right out and say what you wanted to say without directly saying it - you do not believe due to my religious affiliation that I'm a Christian.

All I can say is, don't worry about. He'll make that call.

You can come right out and say what you wanted to say without directly saying it - you do not believe due to my religious affiliation that I'm a Christian.

All I can say is, don't worry about. He'll make that call.
I pray that you will make that call, He already did my dear heart friend

I pray that you will make that call, He already did my dear heart friend
I think that people damning people for their beliefs is the one of the most unchristian things there is. I am not a biblical scholar, but I think there would have been a seat for all at Jesus’ table.
Or non Christian religions, hate when religions push beliefs or think the are the only ones.

Or non Christian religions, hate when religions push beliefs or think the are the only ones.
Def tough discussions, I certainly desire to shine, that is where I will stay. I will also stand for goodness and truth, just like He did. He took more lumps and bruises than any man in recorded history as the book of Isaiah states in chapter 53. He, as a man was also Jewish by the way. I will not attempt to rewrite history for the sake of comfort. It is only by grace that every man will stand, certainly not my goodness. And by the way hate is a very strong word, and it will never have place in my life irregardless of belief. As stated one wrote, I followed. I think with my heart as well as my mind with no malice ever. We can always look at our own heart right, yes. Thank you for helping me to do that today, I mean that. ty

Sorry, but… who wrote the Bible? And in what language?
And, weren’t we all “born into sin?” So, “when you do wrong,” isn’t that a congenital inevitability?
Thank you for your assurance that there is only one god. I have always been confused about that.

Def tough discussions, I certainly desire to shine, that is where I will stay. I will also stand for goodness and truth, just like He did. He took more lumps and bruises than any man in recorded history as the book of Isaiah states in chapter 53. He, as a man was also Jewish by the way. I will not attempt to rewrite history for the sake of comfort. It is only by grace that every man will stand, certainly not my goodness. And by the way hate is a very strong word, and it will never have place in my life irregardless of belief. As stated one wrote, I followed. I think with my heart as well as my mind with no malice ever. We can always look at our own heart right, yes. Thank you for helping me to do that today, I mean that. ty
Did you play sports growing up?

I think that people damning people for their beliefs is the one of the most unchristian things there is. I am not a biblical scholar, but I think there would have been a seat for all at Jesus’ table.

To me it seems like lack of faith. Do they believe that their omnipotent all knowing all powerful god can only reach other human beings the way that he reached them?

Sorry, but… who wrote the Bible? And in what language?

This is a very deep rabbit hole, no doubt why it is usually avoided. The other thing that drives me nuts when discussing the text is how people claim some is metaphoric while other is factual. How are they determining this? Don't get me started on the numerology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom