Judah Mintz Summer Update | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz Summer Update

It's just as much of a concern as it's been for the last 5+ years, outside of when Kadary was on the court.

We just need guards who can consistently penetrate -- if Mintz can do that he's already a valuable piece

This is why I think at times we have to go with 3 guards unless Benny or Taylor prove to be threats to drive and make plays. You need two guys who can attack the rim effectively to pair with having mainly one shooter. Symir and Judah attacking with the feed or dump to Jesse and Joe either dragging a guy out of the paint or getting a look. Benny being a slasher to go with or a freshman being a capable outside threat when left open.

Joe better be practicing running hard from screen to screen and then planting to get his feet set cleanly to get his shot up

Since Melos 17.5 per game, no one took more shots per game (16.4) than Buddy did last year. Before Melo it was Shump also at 16.4, Moten one year at 16.3 and then Billy Owens at 17.3.

Let's hope Joe doesn't beat any of those. If anyone does I would hope it's Jesse or even Judah for that matter.
He's going to beat all of those.

Best case scenario is that each player on the team understands their role. Judah is a scorer and setup man. He needs to feed all the guys. Jesse at the post. Drive and dish to a cutting Benny for a jam or to Joe or Taylor for an open three or finish himself. Judah really sets the tone. Symir will have to do that when Judah sits. I think they are both capable. Once Judah gets the defense shifting, the other guys have to know what to do. I am not sure who will teach them, considering our coaches can't even teach guys to inbound, but we'll see.
I'm hopeful we'll see a couple Mintz drive and dishes to Edwards for dunks every half.

I think it's far more likely that Jesse's shot attempts / scoring numbers are very similar to last year.

I expect the offense to be structured around Joe -- which... we'll have to see how it works out. Joe showed massive efficiency gains last year by being the 3rd or 4th guy, and showing better shot selection. Remains to be seen how he'll perform if he faces the same defensive attention that, say, Buddy got last year. Can he produce at a similar level when he's the guy that opposing defenses plan to focus on stopping? Stay tuned...

If we run back the same O with Joe as a volume shot taker, especially off the dribble, we're toast.

We have to diversify the offense.

If we run back the same O with Joe as a volume shot taker, especially off the dribble, we're toast.

One other note on this, volume shooters that are the center of the universe of offenses are fine when you're winning and you can point to Ws on the schedule for that strategy.

When you do it and you are not winning, it can cause a lot of issues outside of just not getting enough dubs.

So one of the real questions too is going to be just how good will Mintz be? All of us going back and forth on Joe's shots and the frosh forwards which is certainly key. That said if Mintz is surefire first rounder or lottery pick good I think that certainly sets the tone as its' own storyline...

Last edited:

Or we better have a couple of really great offensive rebounding forwards...

I'm hopeful we'll see a couple Mintz drive and dishes to Edwards for dunks every half.
Joe is also very good at finding Jesse. As mentioned many times, there is a lot of potential for good things with this team IF the forwards produce. Obviously, defense has to be better than last year, which is not a very high bar.

IF Mintz can get us better looks in close out situations we will be better. We had too many close games last year where our offense at the end was iso featuring guys who aren't/weren't iso players. Mintz will hopefully give us that and JB will hopefully work up some things that allow us to get looks at the end of games.
I would just like us to successfully inbound the ball in those situations. Small steps.

Mintz, Taylor and Bunch are going to get a lot of run this year.

I am not worried about Mintz, wasn’t since the day he signed. He will be very good here from Day 1. It just depends on how good Taylor and Bunch are from game 1. They need to be at a minimum average for us to have any chance.

JG3
Edwards
Mintz

These 3 fellas are going to have to carry us every game this year.

Symir
Benny
Taylor
Bunch
Hima

Are going to be our other guys that get minutes pretty much every game. We don’t need them to be studs but they need to compete.
Benny has to be in the carry us group. If he’s not we are in trouble, again.

I believe jb didn't want to risk a frosh forward transferring after not playing behind Cole. Crazy.
College hoop is a year to year thing now. With Cole, Mintz, Joe and Jesse, all we need is one forward to be pretty good. Now we need 2.
Dash, why aren’t we big spenders with the NIL. That alone could have kept Cole around. If the coaches wanted him around, of course…

ehh probably wrong.
Yeah, I mean in his case he’s older and may have wanted to move on. But more trying to get at why our NIL isn’t up there with the best of the best…

So one of the real questions too is going to be just how good will Mintz be? All of us going back and forth on Joe's shots and the frosh forwards which is certainly key. That said if Mintz is surefire first rounder or lottery pick good I think that certainly sets the tone as its' own storyline...
If Mintz is as good as advertised, Joe won’t be matched up with the other teams best defender. Let’s hope anyways.

Joe might reach 17 shots in the first half

He will be sitting right next to JB. We have guards that ball . The kids are gone back to business. JB knows that his seat is hot. His replacement is sitting right next to him

But is it JB telling boosters, mainly AW, to hold back?
I think it's the opposite. Not sure how many boosters are actively trying to give additional money (outside of donations) but JB isn't asking for additional NIL opportunities for his players.

If Joe’s off the ball I dont care if he takes 18 a game, he’ll make a lot of them
I'll be very concerned if Joe is not taking a lot of shots. We need points from somewhere.