Judah Mintz Summer Update | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz Summer Update

Love to hear this, can't wait for next season. I think talk of becoming top 25 is a little premature but I think a winning season + get into the tourney for a run is very attainable

I'll be very concerned if Joe is not taking a lot of shots. We need points from somewhere.

Joe isn't as good as Buddy. We were sub .500 with Buddy being a volume shooter on offense.

What do you think our record will be if Joe replicates that type of volume and usage?

If we're winning or losing with Joe shooting 50% more shots per game than the next person, it won't end well.

It also means his minutes will be huge, which means already one glaring defensive hole playing almost the whole game.

Joe isn't as good as Buddy. We were sub .500 with Buddy being a volume shooter on offense.

What do you think our record will be if Joe replicates that type of volume and usage?

If we're winning or losing with Joe shooting 50% more shots per game than the next person, it won't end well.

It also means his minutes will be huge, which means already one glaring defensive hole playing almost the whole game.
Joe isn't as good a player or a shooter? I agree about the volume of shots, though again I hope that is curtailed by JB having removed his family reunion tour glasses.

Joe isn't as good a player or a shooter? I agree about the volume of shots, though again I hope that is curtailed by JB having removed his family reunion tour glasses.

Joe was more efficient and had better %s than Buddy last year. But that was also in his role and what shots he was taking, how many he was taking, etc.

I don't believe Joe is as good a player as Buddy. I don't believe Joe, playing the Buddy role, would be able to replicate his improved percentages (ie - I don't think he is as good a shooter in that role).

I don't think a strategy that has one player who is basically an undersized 2 guard volume shooting is a recipe for success.

I want to be clear, I like Joe. I was very happy with his improvements last year on his %s. I think he was fantastic in the PnR with Jesse.

But you put him in that Buddy spot and we're in a world of hurt.

Last edited:
I don't know if I agree with this. Buddy is taller than Joe and that's about it. Joe is as good, or better shooter, has a much better handle, and IMO is a little more athletic than Buddy. I loved Buddy, but he was limited.

I don't know if I agree with this. Buddy is taller than Joe and that's about it. Joe is as good, or better shooter, has a much better handle, and IMO is a little more athletic than Buddy. I loved Buddy, but he was limited.

The world is going to stop spinning on its axis since I'm going to the mat for Buddy...

Buddy had size, had form, and could square up his shot in a hurricane. At the end of a shot clock, Buddy could get a shot off, albeit a contested one, that at least had some shot at going in, while being the guy that the D was focusing on (again, albeit because he was taking a lot of the shots).

Joe's shooting improved because his role was vastly less demanding than Buddy's (for better or worse) and he exceled, somewhat, on the offensive side of the ball.

If Joe is taking 50% more shots than everyone else (which is what Buddy did last year) and having a huge usage rate, I think his efficiency will fall off a cliff. Joe may be able to dribble a bit better than buddy, but he's not exactly Steph on the handle. He's also undersized and isn't exactly a stamina warrior. You want to talk about limitations, that is just the beginning for Joe.

Again, I'm not saying Joe is a bad player, but you try to make him a volume scoring star with a high usage rate, we're toast. He'll be inefficient on O and that's all before talking about his defense.

I get the hype for the new team this year. The unknown is always exciting and has tons of potential. But while I think Buddy's abilities were overrated last year, let me be clear - you put Joe in that same position and we'll drive off a cliff.

The world is going to stop spinning on its axis since I'm going to the mat for Buddy...

Buddy had size, had form, and could square up his shot in a hurricane. At the end of a shot clock, Buddy could get a shot off, albeit a contested one, that at least had some shot at going in, while being the guy that the D was focusing on (again, albeit because he was taking a lot of the shots).

Joe's shooting improved because his role was vastly less demanding than Buddy's (for better or worse) and he exceled, somewhat, on the offensive side of the ball.

If Joe is taking 50% more shots than everyone else (which is what Buddy did last year) and having a huge usage rate, I think his efficiency will fall off a cliff. Joe may be able to dribble a bit better than buddy, but he's not exactly Steph on the handle. He's also undersized and isn't exactly a stamina warrior. You want to talk about limitations, that is just the beginning for Joe.

Again, I'm not saying Joe is a bad player, but you try to make him a volume scoring star with a high usage rate, we're toast. He'll be inefficient on O and that's all before talking about his defense.

I get the hype for the new team this year. The unknown is always exciting and has tons of potential. But while I think Buddy's abilities were overrated last year, let me be clear - you put Joe in that same position and we'll drive off a cliff.

I think some look at Joe's improved shooting efficiency / shooting percentages from last year, and extrapolate that with more shots, he'll produce at a high volume. They conclude that because he shot a higher percentage than Buddy last year, that he's a "better" shooter who will excel when given the green light to take more shots.

That point of view fails to recognize that his improved efficiency was largely attributable to him being the third [at best] and probably the fourth or fifth option on offense that opposing defenses were geared up to stop. So he benefitted from getting open looks and less defensive attention, and to his credit he produced. Joe also deserves credit for improving his shot selection, and taking more "good" shots instead of forcing a la the previous two years.

But it is highly unlikely that a 5-11, slow, generally unathletic guard will be able to thrive when opposing defenses make him the focal point of the game plan. That's the position Buddy's been in the past two years -- but he was 6-6, and able to get some shots off that a smaller player might not be able to.

In the main, I think your post is pretty much spot on.

I think Joe and Buddy did much better when they had a real point guard in the game. The game was also much better when Buddy was passing and getting 2+ assists per game. I think Mintz will get the ball to the right people more often than any guard last year, and Mintz will also be a legitimate threat to take it to the hoop. Joe was not a threat last year when he was de facto point guard and often dribbled too deep and turning it over. I am expecting Joe to take 8-15 shots per game, Mintz 5-10 shots, and hopefully Edwards with 10+ shots. I think we need a freshman forward to be a legitimate 3 point shooter to keep opposing defenses spread out. Even if Joe is not shooting lights out, I am hoping Benny and Edwards get bunnies on offensive rebounds.

Joe was more efficient and had better %s than Buddy last year. But that was also in his role and what shots he was taking, how many he was taking, etc.

I don't believe Joe is as good a player as Buddy. I don't believe Joe, playing the Buddy role, would be able to replicate his improved percentages (ie - I don't think he is as good a shooter in that role).

I don't think a strategy that has one player who is basically an undersized 2 guard volume shooting is a recipe for success.

I want to be clear, I like Joe. I was very happy with his improvements last year on his %s. I think he was fantastic in the PnR with Jesse.

But you put him in that Buddy spot and we're in a world of hurt.
Agree, but if we put anyone in the Buddy spot we are in a world of hurt. We need to get back to sharing the basketball. Passing is contagious watching guys dribble and fire up fade away jumpers is also contagious

I think your point is correct on the whole, but with a couple good dribble drive players and a good post threat, Girard could get a fair number of open looks.

Girard shooting guarded threes moving sideways=bad possession.

Girard shooting wide open threes off pick and roll=3 points

If or offense works as it should, Girard gets open threes in a variety of ways:

Drive and dish (Mintz/Torrence)
Kickout from the post (Edwards)
Off the pick and roll (Edwards)
Kickout off offensive rebounds
Transition
Motion offense off the double screens

Imagine we can get him an open three out of each of those situations once a half... If we can get the offense working, Girard shooting 20 shots a game could be really good for us. I fear he'll have too much of a green light and will shoot us out of some games, but we can hope his shot selection will mature as a senior. His backcourt mates are going to be much better fits for him than Buddy was. I really think we'll see a different Girard than any previous season.

(my laughter is for yr first sentence)

Joe is a great streak shooter. He is a liability on D. He lacks athleticism and has an average handle for a 2 subpar for a pg. I believe that if he plays to his strength, he can stretch a D and provide room for Mintz and others to go to the rack. I do like his inside out game with Jess. Hopefully JB doesn't ride him on nights he is off.

Joe is a great streak shooter. He is a liability on D. He lacks athleticism and has an average handle for a 2 subpar for a pg. I believe that if he plays to his strength, he can stretch a D and provide room for Mintz and others to go to the rack. I do like his inside out game with Jess. Hopefully JB doesn't ride him on nights he is off.
I believe that we were sub .500 because we had poor guard play and lost Jessie. With real point guards we can inbound and press. These were 2 things we were unable to do last year. If we can move the ball, press, actually defend the 3 point line and drive the basket we can go above. 500. Sure we need 3 point shooting but we had bigger issues. 42 years of winning, I think we go back this year. Every Syracuse fan has to be wildly optimistic.

Since Melos 17.5 per game, no one took more shots per game (16.4) than Buddy did last year. Before Melo it was Shump also at 16.4, Moten one year at 16.3 and then Billy Owens at 17.3.

Let's hope Joe doesn't beat any of those. If anyone does I would hope it's Jesse or even Judah for that matter.
If Jesse does he’s averaging 30 points a game haha. I’ll take it.

C337364D-70B2-456A-A0AE-A5921D0F9674.jpg

Wasserman’s way-too-early mock draft has Judah late first round

He gone
Or he'll do what JB wanted Tyler Ennis to do -- stay a second year and become a lotto pick. Could happen if he's projected late 1st to early 2nd, and if he's close with his teammates and the team looks like it will be good.

Or he'll do what JB wanted Tyler Ennis to do -- stay a second year and become a lotto pick. Could happen if he's projected late 1st to early 2nd, and if he's close with his teammates and the team looks like it will be good.

These are sweet thoughts and all but if he has a good year and stays its all about the NIL. That's the best tool available now.

Uh... nah, man.

You gotta go when you can go.

You're talking like it's a sure thing Ennis would have been a lotto pick. That is a complete unknown.

What we do know is that he was a first round pick and got a guaranteed contract.

In retrospect, majority of them probably made the right decision. Even though at the time it wasn’t popular with the fan base or Boeheim even.

Chris McCullough - 1st Round Guarantee - probably not going to do better than that based on his career.

Tyler Ennis - see above

Even Tyus Battle graduated (I think)… So he did what he set out to do in college.

You can argue Oshae Brissett going undrafted & Jerami Grant falling to 2nd round at the time wasn’t the right choice, but they have done just fine.