Judah Mintz | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz

My semi educated guess is that Judah would like to go pro. But what I don't know is would he leave to be a mid second round pick?
He is somewhat comparable to JD Davison who left Alabama as a freshman last year and was selected somewhere in the second round. Davison has played well for the Celtics all season in the G League. He has barely played for the Celtics and only in garbage time when the Celtics have had injuries/load management issues. I think most people feel that the G League is not a great place to get better. It can also be a place where kids who are not fully developed can get exposed. Davison may end up having a good career with the Celtics or another NBA team. But as a mid second round pick he doesn't have the room for error that a first round pick does.
I have not seen a mock draft that has Judah in the first round. Next year the draft is weak and he would have a fantastic chance to get into the mid first round and get all the guarantees that come with being a first round pick. Would a team grab him in the first round this year? Potentially. His three point shooting was horrific for the majority of the year, but anyone watching could see that his form is not awful and he will end up being a solid shooter. His form at the line is solid as it is for his mid range game. The hesitation with the three that was a hallmark all season has disappeared and we are seeing a much better three point shooter. I'm sure the pros are seeing this as well.
But as good as he is he was awful against Wake Forest and has a lot of room for improvement. He is a hesitant passer who misses wide open guys. He still does not drive and dish well. However there are times where he makes brilliant passes like the wrap around to Jesse at BC or his numerous left handed passes that have ended up in dunks. His handle is impressive for a kid who has never played the one before. But based on the above it's my opinion he would be well served coming back, working on his pg skills and outside shooting and working his way into the lottery.
The worst case scenario is for him to pull a Duce Chestnut and take the $ to go to another program. We NEED Judah in the NBA as our recent record of sending players to the league is not up to our standards. It is critical for the 315 Foundation/Weitsman to offer him enough NIL $ to either stay at Cuse or go pro. Judah transferring is the worst case scenario.
We also need to have a roster that will convince Judah and his Dad that if he comes back, he will have the opportunity to play with talent that will help him win. And there is no question that regardless of who the coach is, we need to play man. I'm told that the Mintz family wants Judah to play man so he can showcase his ability to do so in the NBA. And given that JB told the team they would play zone and then it barely happened, my guess is that Judah would have a better chance of returning if there was a new coach, probably Red.

Only thing is...next year's draft is pretty weak compared to this year's. I think he could easily move into the 1st round but I honestly think he goes draft or transfers to a bigger program

The top end of this draft is bumping everything back way more than it would have been. In most years, Amen Thompson would be a lock at #1 or Brandon Miller (minus the current fiasco), as well.

I mean this sincerely, if I were Judah, I would put my name in to get feedback and see where I land. If I'm not back end of Rd 1 or getting a guarantee for an early Rd 2 pick, I would 100% come back to Cuse. JB let that kid cook and going to a bigger program, which would mean UK, Kansas, Duke, UNC and maybe a few others, is a big risk, imo, bc I don't think those teams have put guys into place as top end lead guards in the NBA outside of UK. And right now Cal is catching a ton of flack. Plus the recruits all those teams have coming in.

I truly believe he can bump up to back end of the lottery next year if he doesn't go this year.

The top end of this draft is bumping everything back way more than it would have been. In most years, Amen Thompson would be a lock at #1 or Brandon Miller (minus the current fiasco), as well.

I mean this sincerely, if I were Judah, I would put my name in to get feedback and see where I land. If I'm not back end of Rd 1 or getting a guarantee for an early Rd 2 pick, I would 100% come back to Cuse. JB let that kid cook and going to a bigger program, which would mean UK, Kansas, Duke, UNC and maybe a few others, is a big risk, imo, bc I don't think those teams have put guys into place as top end lead guards in the NBA outside of UK. And right now Cal is catching a ton of flack. Plus the recruits all those teams have coming in.

I truly believe he can bump up to back end of the lottery next year if he doesn't go this year.
Good point. There is no guarantee he would get the keys to the car at another program. Far from it. JB has let him do whatever he wants here and has never criticized him even when deserved. He has clearly coached him with an eye towards retention.

Only thing is...next year's draft is pretty weak compared to this year's. I think he could easily move into the 1st round but I honestly think he goes draft or transfers to a bigger program

If he transfers to a bigger program that is the ultimate gut punch. There is no excuse for that. Kid hasn't shown an ounce of quit so if we can do what is necessary to keep him on board...

If he transfers to a bigger program that is the ultimate gut punch. There is no excuse for that. Kid hasn't shown an ounce of quit so if we can do what is necessary to keep him on board...

He isn't on this latest mock draft. If he doesn't go pro we MUST keep him.

I disagree just can’t see him transferring if he doesn’t go pro why transfer from a place you know you are going to be able show your talent because let’s be honest he is going to play majority of the minutes

I disagree just can’t see him transferring if he doesn’t go pro why transfer from a place you know you are going to be able show your talent because let’s be honest he is going to play majority of the minutes
He wants to play man to man because that's what they do in the pros.

Like JB said, Jesse is just starting to scratch the surface of what he can do. Of course, he can be on an European team, but he won’t play. He lacks strength and a face up game. I think he can develop a good face up game. Another year at SU could do wonders for his pro potential. Number one job is to get his girlfriend a high paying job in Syracuse. She’s also from the Netherlands and a SU grad. She stays, he probably stays.
She got a job as a assistant on the Girls field hockey team!! Could sway him to come back?

If he transfers it would have to do with the coaching situation. Absent that, transfers happen for 2 reasons, really: 1) playing time, 2) exposure.

His playing time is not in jeopardy, obviously. And in terms of exposure, going to a ‘bigger’ program would offer marginal benefits, at best. Pro scouts aren’t relying on a game being on national tv to scout guys and they’re going to be acutely aware of all the talent in the ACC. Also, going to a ‘bigger’ program would almost certainly come at the expense of playing time. And I don’t think scouts are going to get worked up over some extra games in the NCAAT either.

If he transfers it would have to do with the coaching situation. Absent that, transfers happen for 2 reasons, really: 1) playing time, 2) exposure.

His playing time is not in jeopardy, obviously. And in terms of exposure, going to a ‘bigger’ program would offer marginal benefits, at best. Pro scouts aren’t relying on a game being on national tv to scout guys and they’re going to be acutely aware of all the talent in the ACC. Also, going to a ‘bigger’ program would almost certainly come at the expense of playing time. And I don’t think scouts are going to get worked up over some extra games in the NCAAT either.

You forgot the new world we live in $$$ can play a massive part in why a player transfers.

Good point. There is no guarantee he would get the keys to the car at another program. Far from it. JB has let him do whatever he wants here and has never criticized him even when deserved. He has clearly coached him with an eye towards retention.
In the podcasts, the former players talk about their time in the NBA and how important it is to do what the coach wants and tells you to do to help the team despite it not being one’s strength or what you personally want to do. They talked about adjusting, being flexible, working on skills that may not be your strong suit, like being told not to shoot but to pass to those players that the coach wants to have shoot or being told to just rebound or only play defense etc. They said trying to “play your own game” can get you an immediate seat/DNP’s. Constant hard work on one’s weaknesses can get you the better chance to be called on to help the team if the coach needs a player that possesses those skills. Lots of luck involved in even getting an opportunity, and the need to stay focused instead of just getting frustrated. MCW, Ennis, Richardson, Kris Jo etc had great insight on the process. Staying confident despite frustration, being open to doing what the team needs , what the coach wants you to do. Not an easy road for sure for young players. The higher you are drafted, and who you are drafted by and their needs matching your skills, the much better it is of course.

He wants to play man to man because that's what they do in the pros.
And probably wants to go to NCAA Tournament. You can see how frustrated he gets because we keep losing. Think at the end of the GTech game, he pulled his jersey over and screamed into it
B22EAE99-59B0-467B-BEE1-FA6CF76485F7.jpeg

Last edited:
You forgot the new world we live in $$$ can play a massive part in why a player transfers.

True. That’s option 3. Luckily we have a billionaire who sits a chair away from the bench.

It's going to happen and not just once. A Sean Tucker will transfer to Clemson or a Judah Mintz to Duke. We aren't a destination school.

How long does it take for people to stop caring if this is the case.

People still care at other than the destination schools. But they hurt sometimes.

Obviously don’t want him declaring but think if he does it’s a positive in recruiting. Maybe it’s not as strong as a lotto pick but we haven't had a one and done McCollough. It would be nice to have a more recent player to point to when we go big name recruiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom