JUDAH'S BACK | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

JUDAH'S BACK

We’ve not had this level of talent AND depth at guard before. Stunning turn of events and a brown pants moment for the rest of ACC basketball. Great start to the Red era
I think you guys should tamper your expectations a bit.

We have good players based on their HS rankings but most have not proven anything at the college level except for Judah, JJ, and maybe Benny Williams/Maliq Brown. These kids are young (no seniors on the roster), lets wait until we win some actual games first.

Last edited:
You have a point but it truly matters how the press is effective and what 5 players are running it. For example, with a big man like McLoud, Mounir and maybe Patterson as an anchor, you can help prevent that situation.

No matter what, the proof is in the pudding. It all depends on what strategy Red deploys and how it is executed. it seemed like the team had a hard time inbounding the ball a couple of years ago.

I also believe any press can be broken.

That's why you more than one press. You can go full trunk-monkey, 3/4 court, one guy ragging the point guard and various traps in the half court.

We have good players based on their HS rankings but most have not proven anything at the college level except for Judah, JJ, and maybe Benny Williams/Maliq Brown. These kids are young (no seniors on the roster), lets wait until we win some actual games first.

Look at it as a recruiting class. What if we'd gotten JJ, Chance, Kyle, Naheem and William in one class. You'd think that was a pretty good class, right? Well, it's those guys and four of them have already played at this level. And we've got some pretty good guys coming back. Besides, it's May.

Cuffe is the wild card. We are not sure what he has to show. If he does show scoring potential, he will be in the mix. Believe that Judah, Chance and Quadir are your best ball handlers and passers. Believe that 2 of them will be on the count at all times.

Good thing that Red is playing a positionless team strategy ?? that way we can field a 3 or 4 guard lineup at times where forwards are not effective.

we need to take advantage of the speed and athleticism that the players on the team have. Run, score, defense, press, steal, run, score.

I may be dreaming but they have the depth and the horses to do this.

No. We’ve sucked for years, and now I see a path to not sucking. I’m excited and I’m not waiting for squat to get excited. We’re not on the team, we don’t have to “stay focused”, we’re nutty fans on a message board.

Also, I’m going to guess we’ve never had a soph. starting backcourt that combined to averaged 27 ppg as freshmen. Anyone should be excited by that.

I think you guys should tamper your expectations a bit. We have good players based on their HS rankings but most have not proven anything at the college level except for Judah, JJ, and maybe Benny Williams/Maliq Brown. These kids are young (no seniors on the roster), lets wait until we win some actual games first.
I will tamper nothing

So happy we’re not a high ankle sprain or broken finger away from total disaster - so glad we have more than 6 guys who will play. Every game we held our breath when someone took a hard fall - obviously don’t want it to happen but less worried if it does now.
I wonder about Judah’s fall to made basket ratio this year. Last year it seemed he fell nearly every time and was disappointed when he didn’t!

Look at it as a recruiting class. What if we'd gotten JJ, Chance, Kyle, Naheem and William in one class. You'd think that was a pretty good class, right? Well, it's those guys and four of them have already played at this level. And we've got some pretty good guys coming back. Besides, it's May.
You can’t look at it like a HS recruiting class because they’re already in college. JJ was solid at ND, Naheem avged less than 15 min a game as a backup big, Chance and Kyle were both RS’d. You lose your top 2 scorers and add a bunch of potential pieces. I think we can be good in 24-25 but thinking we’re a top 25 team heading into 23-24 is a bit unrealistic especially when so many other teams added proven portal additions.

Last edited:
So happy we’re not a high ankle sprain or broken finger away from total disaster - so glad we have more than 6 guys who will play. Every game we held our breath when someone took a hard fall - obviously don’t want it to happen but less worried if it does now.
We also have a number of players who project to be good players on both ends of the court. Judah already is. So is Brown. Westry should be. Starling, Copeland, Taylor, and Benny could be.

Recently we’ve had too many guys who could only shoot or score, and the few years before that we had too many guys that could defend but couldn’t throw a rock in the ocean.

Would be nice to get back to having guys who play both ends.

You can’t look at it like a HS recruiting class because they’re already in college. JJ was solid at ND, Naheem avged less than 15 min a game as a backup big, Chance and Kyle were both RS’d. You lose your top 2 scorers and add a bunch of potential pieces. I think we can be good in 24-25 but thinking we’re a top 25 team in 23-24 is a bit unrealistic especially when so many other teams added proven portal additions.
Consider that Westry was considered a possible starter for Auburn last fall. He only redshirted because he got hurt.

We didn’t lose our top 2 scorers, Judah is still here.

Consider that Westry was considered a possible starter for Auburn last fall. He only redshirted because he got hurt.

We didn’t lose our top 2 scorers, Judah is still here.
And by many reports he excelled in their trip to Israel. He would have got real minutes I think

I wonder about Judah’s fall to made basket ratio this year. Last year it seemed he fell nearly every time and was disappointed when he didn’t!
The falling is by design, I'm convinced. He's figured out how to shut off the survival part of his brain that says "when I jump I must land on my feet."

He optimizes his hang time for the attempt at the basket better than maybe any guard we've ever had.

The falling is by design, I'm convinced. He's figured out how to shut off the survival part of his brain that says "when I jump I must land on my feet."

He optimizes his hang time for the attempt at the basket better than maybe any guard we've ever had.
it's absolutely 100% him contorting his body to get his shots off at or near the rim. I never understood why people complain about that aspect of his game.

Just got out of an AEW Dynamite and Rampage live taping, three edibles and four beers plus a carne Asada burrito deep…hell yes!!!!!
Old School Yes GIF

No. We’ve sucked for years, and now I see a path to not sucking. I’m excited and I’m not waiting for squat to get excited. We’re not on the team, we don’t have to “stay focused”, we’re nutty fans on a message board.

Also, I’m going to guess we’ve never had a soph. starting backcourt that combined to averaged 27 ppg as freshmen. Anyone should be excited by that.

we ARE SYRACUSE!

we have standards and pride!

we are on the path to not sucking!

You can’t look at it like a HS recruiting class because they’re already in college. JJ was solid at ND, Naheem avged less than 15 min a game as a backup big, Chance and Kyle were both RS’d. You lose your top 2 scorers and add a bunch of potential pieces. I think we can be good in 24-25 but thinking we’re a top 25 team heading into 23-24 is a bit unrealistic especially when so many other teams added proven portal additions.
Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

We also have a number of players who project to be good players on both ends of the court. Judah already is. So is Brown. Westry should be. Starling, Copeland, Taylor, and Benny could be.

Recently we’ve had too many guys who could only shoot or score, and the few years before that we had too many guys that could defend but couldn’t throw a rock in the ocean.

Would be nice to get back to having guys who play both ends.
Pressure defense in varying styles, should create turnovers which lead to easy baskets.
The other thing about keeping pressure on is its not the first 20 minutes that it works best.
Usually the last 10 minutes when the opponent is worn down mistakes tend to multiply.

How is that different than looking at it as a HS recruiting class that already has college experience?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom