Julian Green to the USMNT | Syracusefan.com

Julian Green to the USMNT

NailstheCusefan12

All American
As many of you know, I'm a huge Bayern/USMNT fan, and we got some great news today. Julian Green will be donning the red white and blue! The highlights below are from Bayern's training trip to Kuwait during their last break, and he got some run with the first team. He's currently got 15 goals and 7 assists for the Bayern reserves. Exciting prospect, and a nice coup for Klinsmann. Also, sorry for the music during the video.

U.S. Soccer ‏@ussoccer
3h
Julian Green has chosen to represent the #USMNT! The @FCBayern forward has applied to FIFA for a Change of Association

This is Billy Fucilllo HUGE for the USMNT. Green will get a chance to be play in the UEFA Champions League every year if he stays with Bayern Munich. Germany has such a surplus of talent that losing Green doesn't really hurt them. Klinsmann re-uping with USMNT thru the 2018 World Cup cycle had to clearly help land Green. This is the type of prospect the US needs if it wants to be among the top 10 teams in the world. The US needs more elite forwards to stretch defenses, and maybe a consistent left back to clean up the defense.

Great job by Klinsmann and I hope Green has a shot to make the WC roster this year as if he is getting minutes with the first team at Bayern Munich he will be battled tested.

I just saw this today. Great news!!!

It certainly softens the blow of Dolo's retirement. He'll be missed. One of the all-time best XI in US Soccer history.

My all time US best XI (I don't know anyone pre-1990)

Forwards: McBride and Wynalda
Midfield: Landycakes, Claudio Reyna, Tab Ramos, Hugo Perez
Defenders: Cherundolo, Eddie Pope, Marcello Balboa, Thomas Dooley

Last edited:
I just saw this today. Great news!!!

It certainly softens the blow of Dolo's retirement. He'll be missed. One of the all-time best XI in US Soccer history.

My all time US best XI (I don't know anyone pre-1990)

Forwards: McBride and Wynalda
Midfield: Landycakes, Claudio Reyna, Tab Ramos, Hugo Perez
Defenders: Cherundolo, Eddie Pope, Marcello Balboa, Thomas Dooley

Are you basing this strictly on national team play? And no Dempsey?

Watching my Ukrainian rip up your back line is nothing to be worried about. Our forwards are extremely fast. However, that back line still needs to improve if you want a chance...

Watching my Ukrainian rip up your back line is nothing to be worried about. Our forwards are extremely fast. However, that back line still needs to improve if you want a chance...
That was far from our first team back line, and was completely experimental. Besler and Gonzalez are a much better duo at CB, while I do still have questions about our RB and LB positions.

That was far from our first team back line, and was completely experimental. Besler and Gonzalez are a much better duo at CB, while I do still have questions about our RB and LB positions.
I know, but that game must have been hard to watch for you guys. Ukraine is good though.

I know, but that game must have been hard to watch for you guys. Ukraine is good though.
It wasn't hard to watch. We had a first half defensive blunder which led to goal after Howard stopped the intial chance, and then a second half blunder which led to the 2nd half goal. Ukraine is a good team and the highest ranked team not going to the World Cup, but the USA's weaknesses are not having a good left back, and having that 2nd forward to play with Altidore. Dempsey/Donovan are better in the midfield making plays we need a Julian Green type forward to play with Jozy Altidore.

The USA had a number of chances to score in the Ukraine game, but didn't finish. The first 20 minutes of the 2nd half we had atleast 3 chances I can remind we didn't finish and were close. Congrats to Ukraine for beating us, but it wasn't hard to watch as playing in Europe is tough for the USMNT. The World Cup is the Americas so we have a decent shot if we can beat Ghana in our first match.

It wasn't hard to watch. We had a first half defensive blunder which led to goal after Howard stopped the intial chance, and then a second half blunder which led to the 2nd half goal. Ukraine is a good team and the highest ranked team not going to the World Cup, but the USA's weaknesses are not having a good left back, and having that 2nd forward to play with Altidore. Dempsey/Donovan are better in the midfield making plays we need a Julian Green type forward to play with Jozy Altidore.

The USA had a number of chances to score in the Ukraine game, but didn't finish. The first 20 minutes of the 2nd half we had atleast 3 chances I can remind we didn't finish and were close. Congrats to Ukraine for beating us, but it wasn't hard to watch as playing in Europe is tough for the USMNT. The World Cup is the Americas so we have a decent shot if we can beat Ghana in our first match.
Even if you guys beat Ghana. You still are a huge long shot. I want USA to do extremely well though and prove me wrong. But your right, you never know. Portugal is not exactly a tough team these days.

Even if you guys beat Ghana. You still are a huge long shot. I want USA to do extremely well though and prove me wrong. But your right, you never know. Portugal is not exactly a tough team these days.
If we beat Ghana I would expect the USA to play a complete defensive shell against Portugal and go for a draw. Portugal-Germany is each other's opener and I expect Germany to win, and if the USA is coming off 3 pts versus Ghana all we would need is a draw against Portgual and then hope Germany is sitting on 6 pts going into the 3rd match and would be okay with a draw and winning the group.

The USA's chances are all dependent on getting 3 points versus Ghana.

If we beat Ghana I would expect the USA to play a complete defensive shell against Portugal and go for a draw. Portugal-Germany is each other's opener and I expect Germany to win, and if the USA is coming off 3 pts versus Ghana all we would need is a draw against Portgual and then hope Germany is sitting on 6 pts going into the 3rd match and would be okay with a draw and winning the group.

The USA's chances are all dependent on getting 3 points versus Ghana.
Ghana lost Montenegro recently. I watched Montenegro throughout the wcq (they were in Ukraine's group) and they are not a tough team. Ghana is beatable FOR SURE.

With everything going on in Ukraine that game was (and will hopefully be) the only time I've ever been happy to see USMNT lose. Everyone over there needed something to be happy about for a few hours.

Ghana lost Montenegro recently. I watched Montenegro throughout the wcq (they were in Ukraine's group) and they are not a tough team. Ghana is beatable FOR SURE.
Ghana is a good team and beatable, but the they have knocked the USA out of the last two World Cups and have a psychological effect on our fanbase. They are probably the first or second best African soccer nation depending on how you feel about the Ivory Coast and they are just a bad matchup for our team.

I think with Klinsmann we will be better prepared for Ghana as he scheduled a friendly with Nigeria to get accustomed to a similar playing style of Ghana. I honestly believe whomever wins the Ghana-USA opener will be the runnerup to Germany in our group. Portugal playing Germany first puts a lot of pressure on them to get a draw as if they lose that game the winner of the USA-Ghana game would be able to play very conservative against Portugal and double Ronaldo and force the Portuguese into a difficult defensive game. Julian Green if he develops is a huge addition to our front line. Altidore is a world class player, but he hasn't had much support beyond Aron Johannsson and I don't expect Green to play in Brazil unless he really blows up over the rest of his club season with Landon Donovan done after this World Cup then Clint Dempsey can take over his play making role and we could have a staple rotation of Altidore,Green, Johannsson up front.

I felt bad when Ukraine lost to France I thought they had it when they won 2-0 in Kiev. The French have miracle comebacks the last two European playoffs in 2010 against Ireland, and this year against Ukraine.

Ghana is a good team and beatable, but the they have knocked the USA out of the last two World Cups and have a psychological effect on our fanbase. They are probably the first or second best African soccer nation depending on how you feel about the Ivory Coast and they are just a bad matchup for our team.

I think with Klinsmann we will be better prepared for Ghana as he scheduled a friendly with Nigeria to get accustomed to a similar playing style of Ghana. I honestly believe whomever wins the Ghana-USA opener will be the runnerup to Germany in our group. Portugal playing Germany first puts a lot of pressure on them to get a draw as if they lose that game the winner of the USA-Ghana game would be able to play very conservative against Portugal and double Ronaldo and force the Portuguese into a difficult defensive game. Julian Green if he develops is a huge addition to our front line. Altidore is a world class player, but he hasn't had much support beyond Aron Johannsson and I don't expect Green to play in Brazil unless he really blows up over the rest of his club season with Landon Donovan done after this World Cup then Clint Dempsey can take over his play making role and we could have a staple rotation of Altidore,Green, Johannsson up front.

I felt bad when Ukraine lost to France I thought they had it when they won 2-0 in Kiev. The French have miracle comebacks the last two European playoffs in 2010 against Ireland, and this year against Ukraine.
I would go 1. Ivory Coast, 2. Ghana/Cameroon 3. Nigeria. I completely agree with you, IF USA takes down Ghana I believe they can beat a frustrated and unfocused Portugal team after getting spanked by Germany (which Imo every team that plays them not named Spain will suffer).

Do not remind me of that unspeakable 3-0 game in Paris :oops::oops: