Julius Hodge Schadenfreude | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Julius Hodge Schadenfreude

djcon57 said:
Basically...worse than Dickey Simpkins
Dickey simpkins may be the most entertaining basketball announcer ever. If espn had a "dickey simpkins package" where you get a game every night with dickey doing all the commentating and post game interviews I would sign up in a second.

There are roughly 1 million college basketball games telecast on TV every season on approximately 4,000 networks.

How bad do you have to be to not be able to land a color commentary gig?

Is it me or did we witness the worse anti-Orange color commentary ever during 2013-14 conference games. It was just amazing how little respect the commentators gave the Orange. Many times the Orange scored the announcers did not even say the name of the player who scored! This is a severe pet peeve of mine. If the offense makes a good play then you praise the offense. If the defense makes a good play then you praise the defense. But you absolutely don't take sides during a telecast. That's just wrong!

Julius Hodge @Follow24Hodge · 3m
I swear if I went to Syracuse it wouldn't be this difficult to get into the CBB analyst field. My State connects are not helping GEESHH!
I love Hodge for two reasons. One, he hand delivered Hakim Warrick for us and two, he knocked Yukon out of the NCAA's in Worcester in 2005. Yukon fans were pretty cocky after our loss and he shut them up two days later. It was one of my most favorite games to be at that Syracuse wasn't playing in.

Dave85 said:
Is it me or did we witness the worse anti-Orange color commentary ever during 2013-14 conference games. It was just amazing how little respect the commentators gave the Orange. Many times the Orange scored the announcers did not even say the name of the player who scored! This is a severe pet peeve of mine. If the offense makes a good play then you praise the offense. If the defense makes a good play then you praise the defense. But you absolutely don't take sides during a telecast. That's just wrong!

Yeah, 99% of announcers aren't "biased". But 99% of fans are convinced they are.

JoeCollege said:
Tough titties, Julius, and thanks as well. I remember faking some office emergency on his signing day to follow the chatroom while either tomcat or Jake, I think, reported live from the scene, and the pandemonium that ensued. Seems like forever ago.

I think it was Fishy at the presser who was on the phone with Jake who was then posting updates.

Oh my! To think that if Hodge picked SU we might not have won in 2003. I don't see him coming out of nowhere to block that last shot like Hak did.

It just goes to show that many guys we coveted during the recruiting process turned out to not be what we thought they would be or we benefited from going in a different direction. Tobias Harris comes to mind also.
I trust our staff to get the kids best suited for our program and the zone to succeed. In fact it would seem that with each passing year they get better at it.

I woulda took Hodge and Warrick together lol. That duo combined with GMac could have made a few more runs after Melo left...

Of course I prefer Hak and "The Block," but I hated missing the opportunity to cheer someone destined to be called "Orange Julius."--VBOF

I think it was Fishy at the presser who was on the phone with Jake who was then posting updates.

Bad memories.

But it turned out for the best, luckily.

Oh my! To think that if Hodge picked SU we might not have won in 2003. I don't see him coming out of nowhere to block that last shot like Hak did.

It just goes to show that many guys we coveted during the recruiting process turned out to not be what we thought they would be or we benefited from going in a different direction. Tobias Harris comes to mind also.
I trust our staff to get the kids best suited for our program and the zone to succeed. In fact it would seem that with each passing year they get better at it.

How exactly did we benefit by not getting Tobias Harris?

I woulda took Hodge and Warrick together lol. That duo combined with GMac could have made a few more runs after Melo left...

If only Mark Konecny didn't come(what a disaster), and Warrick and Hodge both did.

Not having to carry the baggage.
Thank you bees. The kid never contributed anything to Tennessee and where is he now? I'll never forget his big televised announcement live from NYC... and the Cuse fans who were in attendance and their reaction was precious beyond words.

Flacusian said:
Thank you bees. The kid never contributed anything to Tennessee and where is he now? I'll never forget his big televised announcement live from NYC... and the Cuse fans who were in attendance and their reaction was precious beyond words.

Just to clarify. Baggage = Daddy.

To my surprise he has become a real solid pro ever since getting traded to the Magic last year. Averaged 17ppg last year with them and then close to 15ppg this past season after returning from injury.

He's actually a pretty good player for the Magic, already. Should have a good pro career.

Still, would have gladly had him. Probably would have made the difference vs Marquette.

He was frozen out at UT - by the seniors who regretted coach Pearl for selling out the program for Tobias. He was playing very well toward end of freshman yr. He would have been a huge asset and probably wouldnt have left after one yr but was forced too after the Pearl firing. He will have a long NBA career , he is a very good kid and his father although maybe took advantage of the recruiting game is a good father who fights for his children all of them. I have gotten to know the family and all of the kids are polite and respectful. Tyler is at providence and had a good Redshirt soph yr.

He was frozen out at UT - by the seniors who regretted coach Pearl for selling out the program for Tobias. He was playing very well toward end of freshman yr. He would have been a huge asset and probably wouldnt have left after one yr but was forced too after the Pearl firing. He will have a long NBA career , he is a very good kid and his father although maybe took advantage of the recruiting game is a good father who fights for his children all of them. I have gotten to know the family and all of the kids are polite and respectful. Tyler is at providence and had a good Redshirt soph yr.

I agree...funny how his father became "baggage:" the moment he committed to Tennessee. Sour grapes?

I agree...funny how his father became "baggage:" the moment he committed to Tennessee. Sour grapes?
He was going to be baggage wherever Tobias went, not just Syracuse.

He was going to be baggage wherever Tobias went, not just Syracuse.

Right...we all knew about his father well before his commitment. But it's just until after he wasn't coming here that he was "baggage."

To put it a little more blunt, I think some people are fabricating reasons for why they didn't want a top recruit after it was obvious he wasn't coming to Syracuse.

docsu said:

Not quite.

docsu said:
Right...we all knew about his father well before his commitment. But it's just until after he wasn't coming here that he was "baggage." To put it a little more blunt, I think some people are fabricating reasons for why they didn't want a top recruit after it was obvious he wasn't coming to Syracuse.

I'm willing to bet you didn't know much of anything about daddy.

I'm willing to bet you didn't know much of anything about daddy.

OOOOOOOOO! Cryptic posts stating pseudo facts with no evidence? I'm sold!.

Let's not pretend you would have been pissed if he had come here. I'm sure you'd have found a way to reconcile his so-called "daddy issue."