Just a random thought on our WRs | Syracusefan.com

Just a random thought on our WRs

chakka3421

All Conference
Everything I read everyone seems most concerned about our WRs. I was thinking last night that maybe our DBs, CBs & LBs are just that good.

Being that good might just be causing our WRs real difficulty in getting consistently open - that's not a bad thing either. Our d backfield went up against some of the best last year - Woods, Austin, etc, and some of the best QBs too Bridgewater, Smith, etc.

Perhaps we should be analyzing how other teams defensive backfield stacks up against ours - DB to DB, CB to CB and LB to LB. If our opponents backfield is weaker, we should expect our WRs to do just fine. When we don't have an edge on defense, then those games will be tough on our WRs.

This and I just don't see the major concern at receiver. West was not the "go to" last year maybe if he was he wouldve had better stats. He is more than capable. I think Broyld is gonna hold his own and have a few really good games. Flemming made some nice grabs at fan fest and I am pretty sure he scored at the fort drum scrimmage. Chris Clark played a decent amount last year. Kobena also has some game experience. We have Brisly Estime already playing with the 2s. I was impressed with Cornelius at fan fest. Ben Lewis was turning some heads this pre season. Kinder is also there now. Plus we have Wales at TE. I think we will be just fine.. I am more worried about our line.

I think the play calling had as much to do with getting our rcvrs open as anything else last year. I dont think we want to be in a situation where teams think they can just man up on the outside and load up on the run..

This and I just don't see the major concern at receiver. West was not the "go to" last year maybe if he was he wouldve had better stats. He is more than capable. I think Broyld is gonna hold his own and have a few really good games. Flemming made some nice grabs at fan fest and I am pretty sure he scored at the fort drum scrimmage. Chris Clark played a decent amount last year. Kobena also has some game experience. We have Brisly Estime already playing with the 2s. I was impressed with Cornelius at fan fest. Ben Lewis was turning some heads this pre season. Kinder is also there now. Plus we have Wales at TE. I think we will be just fine.. I am more worried about our line.

Like anything, I think a lot of people have to "see it to believe it." Because we lost our top 2 guys in Lemon & Sales, other guys, by default, will have to step up. I'm with you CUSU in that someone(s) emerges. I like Kobena to be that guy. His speed alone should be enough of a weapon to put him in a position to make some plays. I don't know if I can wait 11 more days to find out!

I think we end up with a few receivers in the 35-40 catch 500 yard range vs last year where Lemon caught everything.

I want to say our TE's will have a big year but I think we'll see them blocking more when they're in.

I think we end up with a few receivers in the 35-40 catch 500 yard range vs last year where Lemon caught everything.

I want to say our TE's will have a big year but I think we'll see them blocking more when they're in.
In the video OE posted, Kendall Moore said that there are very few formations that don't involve the TE. As a result, I expect a guy like Wales to have a big year, especially if the WR's can't/don't stretch the field.

In the video OE posted, Kendall Moore said that there are very few formations that don't involve the TE. As a result, I expect a guy like Wales to have a big year, especially if the WR's can't/don't stretch the field.

Could be but if we're running a 2 back 3 wr pistol formation there is no room for a tight end, at least not unless they are in the slot or out wide. I love the idea of using 2 back sets because we have so many good ones so having a tight end on would take our h back/slot wr off the field who are our biggest non rb open field threats.

Perhaps Broyld only gets 20 snaps a game but aside from receiving, I imagine he could be a hellacious down field blocker although Wales and Parris fit that mold as well. Which 190 lb opposing db is going to enjoy taking any of those guys on?

Wow it's fun to have so many options on offense. Can't wait to see how our coaches use them!

I think we have a team full of B type Wr's who we hope at least one a game plays to a B+ . If funderbrook is never going to step up I dont know as we have an A on the roster

I don't know that our defense being good is really a random thought about our wide receivers.

A random thought about our receivers would be something like "I wonder if Jeremiah Kobena is related to Stevie Wonder" or "If Gatorade is basically sweat, and Chris Clark drank some gatorade, then sweated it out during a game on to his receiver gloves, then gave the gloves to a kid in the stands, if the kid licks the gloves, does it taste like sweat or Gatorade?"

I don't know that our defense being good is really a random thought about our wide receivers.

A random thought about our receivers would be something like "I wonder if Jeremiah Kobena is related to Stevie Wonder" or "If Gatorade is basically sweat, and Chris Clark drank some gatorade, then sweated it out during a game on to his receiver gloves, then gave the gloves to a kid in the stands, if the kid licks the gloves, does it taste like sweat or Gatorade?"
Wow...lol.

Now that's deep!

really good point i remember last year either woods or lee, said our db's where the toughest the've faced the whole year.When they said this t was close to the end of the season

If true...then you'll need to learn how to weave 3 or more unrelated topics into a single run-on sentence.

And add 71 emoticons into the mix, especially of these variety: :bang::crazy::blah::noidea::bat:Oh Lordcouchburn:eek:

Everything I read everyone seems most concerned about our WRs. I was thinking last night that maybe our DBs, CBs & LBs are just that good.

Being that good might just be causing our WRs real difficulty in getting consistently open - that's not a bad thing either. Our d backfield went up against some of the best last year - Woods, Austin, etc, and some of the best QBs too Bridgewater, Smith, etc.

Perhaps we should be analyzing how other teams defensive backfield stacks up against ours - DB to DB, CB to CB and LB to LB. If our opponents backfield is weaker, we should expect our WRs to do just fine. When we don't have an edge on defense, then those games will be tough on our WRs.

I like this reasoning. I know I am thrilled about our CB's this season. I don't remember us being this good 1-4 ever.. It should really help us in our blitzing, and like you said our WR's only get better going up against them in practice.

I agree that WR is a huge question mark, in terms of their ability to produce / who [if anyone] is going to step up. And it will remain that way until they prove otherwise on the field. WR is one of the top three areas of concern for me, along with DE and RT.

But of those three positional units, I am most confident that the questions will eventually be answered positively with the WR corps. Moore / McDonald have a LOT of raw materials to work with. In no particular order:

West
Kobena
Fleming
Broyld
Clark
Cornelius
Lewis
Estime
Winfield
Avant
Funderburk
Kinder

Point being, it wouldn't remotely surprise me to see a couple of these guys emerge. For example, Kobena to take the next step as a third year guy who's finally healthy, or Fleming [he of the ZERO career receptions] to have a solid year. Or redshirt frosh Cornelius / Lewis--who looked so great at Fort Drum last year--to come out of nowhere. Or Broyld to emerge as a dependable all-purpose weapon. Or even for the switch to flip for someone like Funderburk, who has the tools to be a difference maker. Or for at least one of frosh Estime / Avant / Winfield to pull their best Quinton Spotwood impression and deliver in their first season of eligibility. Or Kinder to get better as the season goes on and suddenly provide additional production around midseason.

Huge question marks up and down that list--absolutely no way to put a positive spin on that right now, today, with our game in 11 days. But I'm betting that 4 to 5 games into the season, we'll be a lot more bully about this positional unit than we are today.

My opinion only, but I'm way more concerned about DE / RT than I am about WR.

Remember the year (I do but not going to say it) when our receivers would say "weak link" coming out of the huddle?

I honestly think rob Moore is a very good receivers coach and will have these guys maxed out to their abilities. kobena did some nice things last year (thinking of his second td against northwestern on a little dig pattern). west too, and even clark. Wales was a pleasant surprise. throw in both badgers (salt and thick) and i think we have enough guys capable but someone needs to step up. Nate did a nice job of match ups and that's the key. Your strength versus the defense weakness.

I think the play calling had as much to do with getting our rcvrs open as anything else last year. I dont think we want to be in a situation where teams think they can just man up on the outside and load up on the run..
exactly!!!

Isn't it possible that the WR group has some guys with average ability, but no true play makers? I know that the D secondary has been proposed as a possible reason for the WR not performing well in practice. I think this is the least likely of the reasons that have been offered. Maybe the WRs are who they are.

I would guess/hope that means guys like AB, Estime, PTG, Wales, Morris/McFarlene will need to play more prominent roles in the passing game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom