Just back from the new NYC bar "Marshall Street" | Syracusefan.com

Just back from the new NYC bar "Marshall Street"

nycfan

2nd String
Holy crap. It's rare that we would do a 90 minute post-game celebration on a weeknight, but this was (obviously) a season saving win. Let's be honest, this game was over. Weren't we down 16 mid-way through the 2nd half? I know many of you will say, "well, we did it against Virginia". But that was a "once in a lifetime thing". So guess I'm wrong--it's was a twice in a lifetime thing, lol. I was telling the boys at the bar I actually thought it was the biggest win since UVA--I know FSU was #6 in the country, but a) we were home in that one, and b) we really pulled this one out of our arse thanks to a certain Mr. Gillon (in a game we had no business winning). One comment on Gillon--I know everyone is going to talk about about his incredible 43 points. But forget that for a second. How about his insane game-tying three????? (in retrospect, NC State probably should have fouled us). But let's take it one step further---you just witnessed the greatest shooting display from three in Syracuse history---9 for 10, are you kidding me???? Can't wait to read every single post on the board---is everyone else as pumped up as I am???

We win one or more of these every season, seems to me.

Awesome post, E. Must have been a cool experience to be at that new bar with fellow SU fans for an exciting win like that, witnessing a once in a generation type of performance from one of our players.

Speaking of 9-10 -- what is the record for three pointers made in a game? 9 has to be pretty close, if not the record.

White had a great game offensively, and seems to improved quite a bit defensively as well.

White had a great game offensively, and seems to improved quite a bit defensively as well.

Thank you for mentioning White. I had every intention of mentioning White in my original post (a little buzzed), because he probably had the greatest game (28 points, 4 steals) that no one will ever talk about because of Gillon's epic game.

Awesome post, E. Must have been a cool experience to be at that new bar with fellow SU fans for an exciting win like that, witnessing a once in a generation type of performance from one of our players.

Speaking of 9-10 -- what is the record for three pointers made in a game? 9 has to be pretty close, if not the record.

The 9 ties Rautins and Gerry

Didn't even think of it at the time, that JB had a TO that he didn't take after Rowan's 3 to go ahead with 10 seconds in the game. Showed that JB put his faith in Gillon's judgement to pull this game out while not giving NC St any time to make an adjustment (or tell them to foul us). If it had failed wonder who here would have questioned JB for not using the TO?

Anyone know if NC St had used all their timeouts? I assume they did.

Down 16 with 8 minutes left. No idea why the media keept saying 13... yes we were down 13 when we went on our 12-0 run but we were down more just before the run.

Didn't even think of it at the time, that JB had a TO that he didn't take after Rowan's 3 to go ahead with 10 seconds in the game. Showed that JB put his faith in Gillo's judgement to pull this game out while not giving NC St any time to make an adjustment (or tell them to foul us). If it had failed wonder who here would have questioned JB for not using the TO?

JB said he told the team before Rowan's 3 that they would play it out when we got the ball back. JB said he wasn't expecting to be down 3 though.

Didn't even think of it at the time, that JB had a TO that he didn't take after Rowan's 3 to go ahead with 10 seconds in the game. Showed that JB put his faith in Gillon's judgement to pull this game out while not giving NC St any time to make an adjustment (or tell them to foul us). If it had failed wonder who here would have questioned JB for not using the TO?

Generally speaking, under 10 seconds to go and I don't call TO. Especially when you have a guy like Gillon who can break down a defense. I doubt JB considered whether calling TO would better enable NCST to foul.

I just watched a replay of regulation and NC State had one time out left. The scoreboard showed one red line underneath on the replay

How many did Southerland have at Arkansas? Was that nine, too?

Shumpert had a huge game against UConn at the Dome years ago, but I think that was seven or eight.

Was that the 2000 game? I was at that one! To this day that's still my favorite 'Cuse game ever. Stormed the court that night! Epic time!

I just watched a replay of regulation and NC State had one time out left. The scoreboard showed one red line underneath on the replay

Amazing that they didn't call a TO - telling them to foul.

You call a TO, and they get to set up their defense.

Sometimes you're better off letting it ride.

This.

Much better odds against a scrambling, unsettled D, than having to inbounds and run a set against an organized D.
And - Gottfried might have instructed them to foul, which would have taken away the opportunity for the 3.

JB knows.

Was that the 2000 game? I was at that one! To this day that's still my favorite 'Cuse game ever. Stormed the court that night! Epic time!
Didn't Shump have like 7 or 8 against against ND coming off the bench 1 year? He, Andy, and Southerland all had very similar strokes, that over-the-head, high release. Beautiful to watch and much different than Gillon, who just brought Cuse bball back from the dead (this season). From a former skeptic, thank you John Gillon. Thank you.

This.

Much better odds against a scrambling, unsettled D, than having to inbounds and run a set against an organized D.
And - Gottfried might have instructed them to foul, which would have taken away the opportunity for the 3.

JB knows.
I also think JB noticed that Smith was actually effective in denying Gillon the ball on inbounds situations and clearly JB wanted the ball in Gillon's hands in the open floor. Gottfried is brutal for NC State. That will be an interesting hire next year.

Holy crap. It's rare that we would do a 90 minute post-game celebration on a weeknight, but this was (obviously) a season saving win. Let's be honest, this game was over. Weren't we down 16 mid-way through the 2nd half? I know many of you will say, "well, we did it against Virginia". But that was a "once in a lifetime thing". So guess I'm wrong--it's was a twice in a lifetime thing, lol. I was telling the boys at the bar I actually thought it was the biggest win since UVA--I know FSU was #6 in the country, but a) we were home in that one, and b) we really pulled this one out of our arse thanks to a certain Mr. Gillon (in a game we had no business winning). One comment on Gillon--I know everyone is going to talk about about his incredible 43 points. But forget that for a second. How about his insane game-tying three????? (in retrospect, NC State probably should have fouled us). But let's take it one step further---you just witnessed the greatest shooting display from three in Syracuse history---9 for 10, are you kidding me???? Can't wait to read every single post on the board---is everyone else as pumped up as I am???
Hey just as importantly how was the new place? Food and atmoshere?
Is it close to the garden? Are we gonna hit this place now for NYC games? Come on Eric this is important stuff!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom