Just got back from Cap One... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Just got back from Cap One...

When you don’t shoot you’re going to make most of them, it’s great he hit 5-6, but unless he doesn’t have a guy 5 feet from him he can’t score.
If Maliq sticks around and is a four year player for us, I really think he has the potential to have a John Wallace like trajectory. Wallace very rarely shot from deep his first two years, did a little as a junior and then became a very solid shooter as a senior. We just need to actually design plays for him.

If Maliq sticks around and is a four year player for us, I really think he has the potential to have a John Wallace like trajectory. Wallace very rarely shot from deep his first two years, did a little as a junior and then became a very solid shooter as a senior. We just need to actually design plays for him.
+1
Maliq doesn't have a scorer mentality, but his form on 3's looks nice -and confident, to me.
Imagine if Maliq had made the "PJ's and DJ's" respect an ability to hit 3's this season.
Hoping that Maliq dials in that 3 and adopts a scorer's mentality next season -would be GREAT.

We took somewhere between 15-20 shots in the paint, and shot six free throws. I overall agree but those numbers in last night's case just don't add up.
Totally fair. Like I always say, college officiating is atrocious.

Jackson and Onuaku? Unfortunately playing two post guys at the same time really isn’t the game today.

Yeah, but that tandem didn't play very long together. I remember this being broken down in detail some years ago, but essentially that was our token starting lineup. But we had sixth man of the year KrisJo come in pretty quickly most games, and one of the bigs would sit while Wes slid over to the nominal 4.

Sometimes, that would be based upon matchups, and sometimes which of the two was playing better any given game. But then we'd play with one big and two WFs who could both rebound for the majority of the game

I told my wife we wouldn’t win this game because the reffing would be tilted towards the NC mafia. And it was.

Our guys did not respond at all and looked beat. But the refs created that environment. ACC is crooked.

Kadary is a point guard. And would have been the best we have had here in a long time. If you subscribe to Kenpom I highly suggest looking at his and Seton Hall's page. Haha. I knew he was having a year but he is absolutely backpacking them.
Remember this is his 4th year in college, Kadary is a hybrid position player which is becoming more prevalent.We’re seeing more and more of these players who are more versatile on the court, not fitting the more traditional positions. Centers are seeing the same - more centers who spend half their time shooting 3’s, driving to the basket vs playing a power game in the paint. PJ Hall isn’t a typical center like Edey while Jokic for the Nuggets is another hybrid center in the NBA who is also a great distributor.

Kadary was a forward all through high school, more comfortable as a forward and had been transitioned at JB’s request to the point when he went to prep school in a shortened Covid year. He was resistant at first but was told it was the easiest path to early playing time here and for his future. JB and Coach Smith saw he had the talent to be a pg but Kadary himself wanted to transition from a forward to a shooting guard. (see the Syracuse.com articles regarding his recruitment and video from Brewster from that short prep year). If you get a chance look at Quadir and Kadary’s 40 minute stats as freshman and sophomores.It’s interesting but Richmond has always had the greater upside potential. Kadary made the biggest leap in his 4th year at SHU . It’s his motor, motivation, conditioning, shooting and consistency that’s held him back. His ball handling, court vision, rebounding, quick first step, nose for the ball that are his greatest assets. He still needs to work hard on basic shooting skills and consistent effort. Happy that he finally dedicated himself to accepting a more active role leading the offense and being more consistent as a senior. By the way I followed him since prep school, he’s the opposite personality wise from Quadir - quiet, more reserved, less assertive, more deliberate, more uncomfortable in the limelight. No doubt Richmond would have really helped here but also our expectations would have been much greater than what we saw his next 2 years at SHU before his senior year. Regardless, Richmond is and has been gone for 3 years - history.

Why is everyone so down on Q? He had a sloppy game. He’s a bright spot
I got really frustrated and disappointed with Q last night, and that's coming from a person who has been in his fan club all year. He made a LOT of bad plays. He was reckless at times, more showy than necessary, and had no business heaving up five 3 pointers.

If a guy misses shots, I'm usually not too critical of that, it happens. With Q last night, it was just poor play. One that stands out in my mind is when he went 1 on 4 early on in the game on a fast break during a time when the game was well within reach and every point was critical. He drove probably just looking for a foul, but it was really a dumb play as four NC State players were guarding him. Another that I remember is trying to thread the needle with a pass to Carey, that resulted in a turnover. There was no way Carey was going to handle that kind of pass. Brown, maybe, but not Carey. It was not an easy pass to haul in. 6 turnovers in the game and only 4 assists is piss poor.

The other thing that I didn't like was the amount of mouthiness on the court. I like Cope's fire and I think he's a leader type guy. I just don't care for the whiny crap like some others on the team did this year (i.e. Judah, Bell, Benny). Stop complaining and just play.

I don't want one game to sway me too much, but I REALLY didn't like what I saw last night. It has caused me to be concerned that with a starting role, he may be more empowered to make a lot of dumb plays. He's a very confident young man - that can work for a person but it can also work against. Sometimes I think it work against Copeland.

Last edited:
To be honest, Maliq has very little offensive game outside of within 2 feet and the one-off 3’s at the top of the key. He doesn’t even look to shoot 95% of the time making the team easier to defend.

He has a lot of intangibles and does some things really well but he can’t guard in the paint and isn’t an offensive threat. He needs to develop some kind of back to the basket game and be willing to take mid range shots.
And yet folks want him to slide to the 4 and bring Freeman off the bench. SMH.

I got really frustrated and disappointed with Q last night, and that's coming from a person who has been in his fan club all year. He made a LOT of bad plays. He was reckless at times, more showy than necessary, and had no business heaving up five 3 pointers.

If a guy misses shots, I'm usually not too critical of that, it happens. With Q last night, it was just poor play. One that stands out in my mind is when he went 1 on 4 early on in the game on a fast break during a time when the game was well within reach and every point was critical. He drove probably just looking for a foul, but it was really a dumb play as four NC State players were guarding him. Another that I remember is trying to thread the needle with a pass to Carey, that resulted in a turnover. There was no way Carey was going to handle that kind of pass. Brown, maybe, but not Carey. It was not an easy pass to haul in. 6 turnovers in the game and only 4 assists is piss poor.

The other thing that I didn't like was the amount of mouthiness on the court. I like Cope's fire and I think he's a leader type guy. I just don't care for the whiney crap like some others on the team did this year (i.e. Judah, Bell, Benny). Stop complaining and just play.

I don't want one game to sway me too much, but I REALLY didn't like what I saw last night. It has caused me to be concerned that with a starting role, he may be more empowered to make a lot of dumb plays. He's a very confident young man - that can work for a person but it can also work against. Sometimes I think it work against Copeland.
He needs to harness that energy, emotion and work channeling it into increasing his efficiency, judgement and self discipline. It’s up to him to mature into the consistent player you can count on.

His Jr. draft projection was within 1-2 spots of where he was drafted after Sr. year.

Remember this is his 4th year in college, Kadary is a hybrid position player which is becoming more prevalent.We’re seeing more and more of these players who are more versatile on the court, not fitting the more traditional positions. Centers are seeing the same - more centers who spend half their time shooting 3’s, driving to the basket vs playing a power game in the paint. PJ Hall isn’t a typical center like Edey while Jokic for the Nuggets is another hybrid center in the NBA who is also a great distributor.

Kadary was a forward all through high school, more comfortable as a forward and had been transitioned at JB’s request to the point when he went to prep school in a shortened Covid year. He was resistant at first but was told it was the easiest path to early playing time here and for his future. JB and Coach Smith saw he had the talent to be a pg but Kadary himself wanted to transition from a forward to a shooting guard. (see the Syracuse.com articles regarding his recruitment and video from Brewster from that short prep year). If you get a chance look at Quadir and Kadary’s 40 minute stats as freshman and sophomores.It’s interesting but Richmond has always had the greater upside potential. Kadary made the biggest leap in his 4th year at SHU . It’s his motor, motivation, conditioning, shooting and consistency that’s held him back. His ball handling, court vision, rebounding, quick first step, nose for the ball that are his greatest assets. He still needs to work hard on basic shooting skills and consistent effort. Happy that he finally dedicated himself to accepting a more active role leading the offense and being more consistent as a senior. By the way I followed him since prep school, he’s the opposite personality wise from Quadir - quiet, more reserved, less assertive, more deliberate, more uncomfortable in the limelight. No doubt Richmond would have really helped here but also our expectations would have been much greater than what we saw his next 2 years at SHU before his senior year. Regardless, Richmond is and has been gone for 3 years - history.

Kadary's development was hindered bc he sat behind someone he was better than.

People here aren't going to retcon that situation.

Many of those who overlook Q's emotions are also the first to jump on Judah for his. Both need to mature in that area.
That's because Q's emotion tends to revolve around badly wanting the team to win, whereas Judah's tends to revolve around things that affect him personally. There are some exceptions, of course, but that is what it looks like to me overall.

Unfortunately this was the only highlight from last night. Seen her before but she was amazing.
IMG_0082.jpeg

I’d also like to say that Q’s abilities on defense have been greatly overstated on this forum.
It's sometimes hard to know that his player gets by him because he constantly gets lost in no-mans-land and is nowhere near the person he should be guarding. This happened again several times last night. Then other games he gets focused onto other teams better players and sticks to them like glue. He is extremely inconsistent.
Maliq's only miss from the field last night was a three point shot that was literally halfway down.
He has that shot according to the coaches. He hits it in practice. He needs to do that in games when we have a real center in the game.

I tend to think the Clemson loss took a lot out of their sails and didnt prep properly. Coaches might take some blame for that. I don't know if they didn't have confidence they could win this tournament but Ncst wanted it a lot more and played for their tournament lives. Maybe they overlooked st for Duke? Either way I keep reminding myself they were outmanned and undersized and the guards and bell had bad games, no chance to win.

Why is everyone so down on Q? He had a sloppy game. He’s a bright spot
Q can score, but he trades off a lot of his points by not valuing the ball. He can make more mistakes that cost the team than anyone else and just keeps on doing it instead of calming down and making the good plays he is capable of.

Wallace showed skills as a freshman and sophomore light years ahead of what Maliq has shown. If he has them, he was afraid to use them this year.

Maliq's only miss from the field last night was a three point shot that was literally halfway down.
You can't miss shots you don't take. He passed up 95% of his wide open looks that weren't layups or dunks. It's why his fg% was so high. He's a really good passer, but teams started to figure out he wasn't going to shoot and sagged off him.

Yeah, but that tandem didn't play very long together. I remember this being broken down in detail some years ago, but essentially that was our token starting lineup. But we had sixth man of the year KrisJo come in pretty quickly most games, and one of the bigs would sit while Wes slid over to the nominal 4.

Sometimes, that would be based upon matchups, and sometimes which of the two was playing better any given game. But then we'd play with one big and two WFs who could both rebound for the majority of the game
Yeah. We had great versatility with that roster and it was the best chemistry I saw from a SU team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom