Just got back... Holy Moly | Syracusefan.com

Just got back... Holy Moly

OrangeMuskyFish

Starter
I didn't like the gameplan, but I will give Marrone and Co. this, they believe in themselves and their kids... and more times than not, it works. We finally established the run, but I think if we had let Ryan carry the day once again, this game would never have been in much doubt... once we had evened up the score after the botched snap, of course.

QB- Forcing the running game seemed to put Ryan in a tough spot as he finally seemed to be taken out of his groove. He was great early, and more importantly, continued to do his thing with the game on the line. But we did see some of the old habits pop up in between. Leading a few WR out of bounds by holding on to the ball too long, missing a wide open man, etc. Still a B effort, and maybe higher due to the pressure plays.

RB- Man, Bailey stepped it up as the game went on, but PTG had already stolen my vote. Just as fast, but I think he runs harder and is more instinctive. Another year of weight-training and Rahme might end up right when it comes to the Mungro comparisons. Adam Harris is a different player and now we can say he will be missed upon graduation.

WR- Love the balance here. And I believe it was IB that started the recent thread about being upset that a third WR hadn't yet been used, and I believe somehow that conversation morphed into Marrone's failure to develop/recruit skill players thus far. Well... boom. PTG and West hammered that hanging curve 500-feet to center.

TE- Provo is back, period... and glad we continue to get Stevens involved.

OL- Didn't key enough on it at the game, but I thought they continue to look improved. The bogus snap aside, I thought things went well. However, after today I am left to wonder. Does Bailey possess a lack of instincts that has had a little more to do with the poor line play than previously believed?

DL- Again, didn't key on it. Finally started to get some pressure when it mattered. Sharpe finally broke through, but it appears didn't get credit for the sack, which I thought he should have. Bromley, Goggins, and Ball continue to do their thing, which is much more than was expected out of them. And I still don't think Marinovich gets enough out of his talent, although thought I saw a couple nice plays today.

LB- Getting better and better. Like seeing Diabate in there and Cameron is really starting to answer the call. Spruill didn't fill the stat sheet, but he still rocks and that was a great pass break-up. Vaughan continues to be steady, and the only one I worry about right now is Dyshawn... seems to be fading away a bit. Although that one handed tackle was cool, and I am sure that in a game like this, just his ability to run with a receiver proved as valuable as racking up tackles.

DB- So many guys in and out that it is hard to tell without dissecting the film. Phil did a GREAT job of stepping up today. I think I prefer Wilkes as a nickel corner than a safety. And Lyn continues to make a tremendously impressive tackle each game. He is going to be very special.

P/K- Both guys looked like young kickers today, but also young TALENTED kickers. So like with so many of our other youngins, it's great to have the win, as it all gets filed away as a learning experience that didn't cost us nothin!

Honestly, just have to give credit to the team for fighting back, for finding a running game, for putting up enough points. But if you give such high grades to the defense, you must have been watching a different game.
Their top receiver was slicing up the defense; Toledo was tougher than SU in both lines. Give Nassib credit for spreading it around; give the offensive coaches credit for finding some run/pass balance.

Honestly, just have to give credit to the team for fighting back, for finding a running game, for putting up enough points. But if you give such high grades to the defense, you must have been watching a different game.
Their top receiver was slicing up the defense; Toledo was tougher than SU in both lines. Give Nassib credit for spreading it around; give the offensive coaches credit for finding some run/pass balance.

The staff decided that we would not be beaten deep, there was no way to avoid the underneath stuff unless we risked getting burnt over the top. I thought there were only two things that made the defense look bad at times, and those were missed tackles and more failure to pressure the QB with our line. But given that our best tackler and best lineman were out, those are things that are quite understandable and you just have to work around them... and we did. Also, I don't believe I gave the defense a high grade. I just happy with some of the things the individuals showed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom