Just how clutch is melo, Lebron, and Kobe | Syracusefan.com

Just how clutch is melo, Lebron, and Kobe

strumpfasaurus

2nd String
These are stars from the 1996-97 NBA Season to I think last season showing who is the best at game winning shots percentage. I presume ti will surpsie no one who is nubmer 1

Carmelo Anthony 21 44 47.7
Chris Paul 14 31 45.2
Shawn Marion 12 30 40
Brandon Roy 12 30 40
Hedo Turkoglu 12 30 40
Rashard Lewis 18 46 39.1
Glenn Robinson 14 36 38.9
Deron Williams 14 36 38.9
Mike Bibby 15 39 38.5
Dirk Nowitzki 25 65 38.5
Jalen Rose 12 32 37.5
Tim Duncan 23 62 37.1
Eddie Jones 13 36 36.1
Karl Malone 11 31 35.5
Ben Gordon 17 49 34.7
Chris Webber 18 52 34.6
Raymond Felton 12 36 33.3
LeBron James 23 69 33.3
Ray Allen 23 70 32.9
Gilbert Arenas 13 40 32.5
Vince Carter 31 96 32.3
Steve Francis 14 44 31.8
Damon Stoudamire 12 38 31.6
Nick Van Exel 16 51 31.4
Kobe Bryant 36 115 31.3
Jason Terry 14 45 31.1
Allen Iverson 21 68 30.9
Kevin Garnett 22 72 30.6
Ron Artest 9 30 30
Allan Houston 12 41 29.3

Shawn marion!!!!

As I've said many times, really underscores how low percentage those shots are.

any list of clutchness that doesnt include big shot bob means nothing to me.

i dont care if he didnt qualify. He should still be top 5.

Stats are for geeks. Melo needs to advance in the playoffs if he or anyone else wants him to start getting recognized among the elite in the game.

Stats are for geeks. Melo needs to advance in the playoffs if he or anyone else wants him to start getting recognized among the elite in the game.
This is about game winning shots. If you choose to extend that to playoffs, well I guess that's what it's about for you.

This is about game winning shots. If you choose to extend that to playoffs, well I guess that's what it's about for you.

all that matters is winning in the playoffs. reg season means nothing.

see: lebron james

Ok, game winning shots that ultimately don't mean anything. How many game winning shots does he have in the playoffs?

Ok, game winning shots that ultimately don't mean anything. How many game winning shots does he have in the playoffs?
So now only the thing that matters in assessing a player's career is playoff performance (and more specifically game winning shots in the playoffs) and everything that happens during the regular season is meaningless? That's a pretty narrow way to look at things.

So now only the thing that matters in assessing a player's career is playoff performance (and more specifically game winning shots in the playoffs) and everything that happens during the regular season is meaningless? That's a pretty narrow way to look at things.
It might be a bit unfair, but in the end it's how you play when it really matters that counts. I love Melo, but he made a spectacle of himself with how he pretty much forced his way to NY. Until he advances in the playoffs, he will never get the recognition that his talent warrants. Not to get too 'poetic', but people remember champions.

i believe he did hit a playoff game winner (as defined in those stats) vs. dallas back in 2009. and while his last 3 (with just under a minute left) in their only win over miami this year doesn't officially count towards the stats listed above, it was the key shot that enabled them to win that game.

I hope one day we can stop hanging on to the "Melo is a great international player" and "awesome at hitting shots in the last 3 minutes of regular season games" and have something else to hang our hat on.

It might be a bit unfair, but in the end it's how you play when it really matters that counts. I love Melo, but he made a spectacle of himself with how he pretty much forced his way to NY. Until he advances in the playoffs, he will never get the recognition that his talent warrants. Not to get too 'poetic', but people remember champions.
I was really responding to you in more general terms, and not just in terms of Carmelo. So I take it you consider a season successful only when your team wins a championship? Seems like a pretty miserable way to follow sports, but that's just my opinion.

Dan Marino sucks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

ummm..... really?

I was really responding to you in more general terms, and not just in terms of Carmelo. So I take it you consider a season successful only when your team wins a championship? Seems like a pretty miserable way to follow sports, but that's just my opinion.
And your entitled to it. I'm just not sold on game winning shots that in the end don't mean all that much. When he starts making those shots and winning those games when it really matters I'll pay more attention to it.

So does Ted Williams.

some things.

1. football and baseball greatly differ from basketball. 1 great player can carry a team.
1a. lebron carried a crappy team pretty far, but no title (yet)
2. Robert Horry isnt going on anyone's elite lists. But he is the clutchest player of all time.

I don't even know what the argument is at this point. The reg season helps a player, but doesnt make a player. The postseason does. Carmelo's postseason history is VERY VERY bad. You can blame it on his teams or his coaches or him, but the fact is his postseason record is really bad.

game winners in january do not mean anything for a players place in history. actually, less than 'dont mean anything'

I think Melo's post season record is what it is, he's made it past the first round once in 9 years, not good. I think part of that is the western conference being pretty tough during his run, but it's also indicative of how good a player Melo is; I think 2009 was the only year Denver won more games than the team they played in round 1. (There was a year Denver was the third seed because they won their division but they were only 44-38).

If Melo is your best player, you will probably have a pretty good team but most years you are going to win one playoff round at best. That's obviously an incredibly simplistic way of looking at things but i think there is a lot of truth to it. (Man, just looked up his playoffs stats; career 51% true shooting; that is not good).

some things.

1. football and baseball greatly differ from basketball. 1 great player can carry a team.
1a. lebron carried a crappy team pretty far, but no title (yet)
2. Robert Horry isnt going on anyone's elite lists. But he is the clutchest player of all time.

I don't even know what the argument is at this point. The reg season helps a player, but doesnt make a player. The postseason does. Carmelo's postseason history is VERY VERY bad. You can blame it on his teams or his coaches or him, but the fact is his postseason record is really bad.

game winners in january do not mean anything for a players place in history. actually, less than 'dont mean anything'

So if an aging Oscar Robertson had not won a title with a young Kareem in Milwaukee, his career would have somehow been diminished or even considered a failure?

And I'll just ignore your statement about Robert Horry and assume it's a joke.

ESPN has done this to us. Championships are now the only measure of success. If you don't have one, you suck. It's unfortunate that we can't just enjoy great players. "Well, Lebron is a nice player, but he clearly isn't clutch and doesn't have a title, so he sucks."

I never thought about Dominique Wilkins not winning it all until after his career. People didn't dog him about it every interview and every single mention on television.

Is MJ seriously not on that list? I realize the criteria only included two of his real seasons, did his Wizards time bring him down?

So if an aging Oscar Robertson had not won a title with a young Kareem in Milwaukee, his career would have somehow been diminished or even considered a failure?

And I'll just ignore your statement about Robert Horry and assume it's a joke.
Deeming someone a failure is probably pushing it, but most don't care what one does in the regular season if it doesn't result in playoff success. But if you see things differently, so be it.

If Melo never gets out of the first or 2nd round, will you view his career as a success? Fair or not, he'll end up labeled a more talented Glen Robinson.

ESPN has done this to us. Championships are now the only measure of success. If you don't have one, you suck. It's unfortunate that we can't just enjoy great players. "Well, Lebron is a nice player, but he clearly isn't clutch and doesn't have a title, so he sucks."

I never thought about Dominique Wilkins not winning it all until after his career. People didn't dog him about it every interview and every single mention on television.

Pretty spot on when you think about it. Might not be fair, but that's how todays athlete is and will be judged.

Good post. It's the ESPN/sports talk radio mentality run amok. Lots of "fans" running around thinking they know everything about sports when in fact they know very little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom