Just like the Uconn game | Syracusefan.com

Just like the Uconn game

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Georgetown handed us chances to build a significant lead early, and we just couldn't score (jacked up wild threes instead).

I'm sick of the "there's no great teams out there this year". The reality is, this team struggles more to score than any team I can ever remember.

Very, very disappointed by the outcome today, especially considering the hype. Otto Porter looked like a man amongst boys today. He took a dump on the Dome.

Georgetown handed us chances to build a significant lead early, and we just couldn't score (jacked up wild threes instead).

I'm sick of the "there's no great teams out there this year". The reality is, this team struggles more to score than any team I can ever remember.

Very, very disappointed by the outcome today, especially considering the hype. Otto Porter looked like a man amongst boys today. He took a dump on the Dome.

Just like UConn in one more respect: each team has no center.

And Syracuse either a.) had a wild mutiny in which the players disregarded the gameplan and attempted at least 20 threes, or b.) the coaching staff thought Syracuse had a good chance to win by shooting at least 20 threes.

This team would be more balanced if Grant saw most of Keita or Xmas minutes. As i said in an another post, what exactly are we losing in that tradeoff? Our centers can't even set a screen without causing a turnover.

This team lacks balls. Anytime a big moment has come up, they have not. They should have put away the Big East championship and lost to teams that aren't that good.

Now, sure, Christmas is hugely overrated, and seeing a Terrence Roberts out there right now would be huge improvement over what he's given us. Keita is Keita - an outstanding piece of a puzzle, but not the lead guy.

We are a team that is supposed to be relying on its guard play this year. But our guard play is very streaky and our offense too predictable. That was supposed to be a strength of this team. Triche is a head case. He scores 29 against Providence but he comes up short in big games sometimes. He's just not a star. He's so much better than he realizes but he's like Wes - he's a supporting player.

That 2010 team was better because Andy was the alpha dog, and Arinze was able to generate a lot of offense down low. This team lacks both an alpha dog and a guy who can score down low. We have complementary wing players, not star players.

This team lacks a big dog to lead them. In preseason, I hoped that Southerland was going to blow up this year, as I felt it was our best chance at a potentially great year. But he's just too inconsistent. Fair is our best player, but he's not a nationally elite player, in the All American sense. He's an incredibly good complementary player and is certainly all league, but he's not all american. Great college player, great 4 year player. Not going to be an NBA guy.

I thought this team will be so much better next year, but in truth, I think most of next year's class is also complementary players. We didn't bring in that mega-stud recruit in this upcoming class. We missed on those guys. Right now we are a program that has a great sum of parts, but lacks the cherry on top. We have to rely on these players getting better.

Carter Williams is not ready at all for the NBA. I doubt he stays next year, but he really ought to think hard about it. Losing Triche will be tough because he does so many things for this team, but he gets brain freezes in big moments. Scoop was more dependable to come up in a truly big spot than Brandon.

Cooney is so much farther away from being a contributor than I hoped after him having had a redshirt year, playing with guys like Dion and Scoop and Triche and Mike. Geez, does anybody see him as a starting 2 guard next fall and feel that we could count on him?

Christmas doesn't know how to present in the post to get the ball on offense. All he knows how to do is pick and roll. That's it. We run way too much pick and roll. It makes our offense too perimeter oriented and too predictable. If the PG can't consistently get around the corner on the defender, then what else do you have to fall back on ? I guess you could say that about a lot of college basketball today, though. Maybe that's part of the problem.

I don't see a lot of good offense out there, and I don't see very many teams who can feed the post. Is it the fault of college centers if no one passes them the ball for 95% of the game unless it's rolling to the basket off a pick? Are the centers really that deficient these days, or is it just that they don't teach or play that kind of ball very much anymore?

As the season has worn on, Mike is having a harder time getting that corner. At 6-6, he's not quick enough to get by some of these small waterbug guards. Will that get better with another year? I think a little. But his outside shooting could get a LOT better by coming back.

This team would be more balanced if Grant saw most of Keita or Xmas minutes. As i said in an another post, what exactly are we losing in that tradeoff? Our centers can't even set a screen without causing a turnover.

Is there any way to find out the PLUS/MINUS for this game and the UCONN game for each player???? I know they do it for NBA players.

It really feels like we got crushed in each game while Keita was out there.

My guess is the trade off is Grant is more of a liability in the middle of the zone? Not sure. I agree with your point.

My guess is the trade off is Grant is more of a liability in the middle of the zone? Not sure. I agree with your point.

What liability would it be aside from lack of reps? Heck i would even split Xmas and Grant at center 50/50.

Is there any way to find out the PLUS/MINUS for this game and the UCONN game for each player???? I know they do it for NBA players.

It really feels like we got crushed in each game while Keita was out there.

ooooh, found it myself! Thanks Ghost.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/syracuse/baye-moussa-keita/plus_minus

Keita: -9 vs. UCONN
Keita: -12 vs. G'Town

Not that it proves anything, but kind of felt that way, and now I know why. It was that way.

Grant's not really a center by training. He's just outgrowing his body. I doubt that he's only still 6-7 or 6-8. He fully looks 6-9 to me and still has to grow into his body a bit. He'd spend most of the game in the first row if you played him at center right now.

What liability would it be aside from lack of reps? Heck i would even split Xmas and Grant at center 50/50.

I agree. I like Keita. Great motor. But, he just can't provide enough of what this team needs.

at the uconn game we took 15 more shots then them. today not so much. agree no momentum in another loss this team needs to learn how to create momentum every game.

This team lacks balls. Anytime a big moment has come up, they have not.
I understand a lot of your points and I do agree with most, but just about this.
Cincy, Louisville. Just give me that much.
That you acknowledge we came out of nowhere and put Cincy in their place. Kicked Ville in the head in Ville.
You said anytime.

Horrible game today, I am not denying it and our lack of heart sometimes.
But give me this. That we have shown up this year a few times.

This team lacks balls. Anytime a big moment has come up, they have not. They should have put away the Big East championship and lost to teams that aren't that good.

Now, sure, Christmas is hugely overrated, and seeing a Terrence Roberts out there right now would be huge improvement over what he's given us. Keita is Keita - an outstanding piece of a puzzle, but not the lead guy.

We are a team that is supposed to be relying on its guard play this year. But our guard play is very streaky and our offense too predictable. That was supposed to be a strength of this team. Triche is a head case. He scores 29 against Providence but he comes up short in big games sometimes. He's just not a star. He's so much better than he realizes but he's like Wes - he's a supporting player.

That 2010 team was better because Andy was the alpha dog, and Arinze was able to generate a lot of offense down low. This team lacks both an alpha dog and a guy who can score down low. We have complementary wing players, not star players.

This team lacks a big dog to lead them. In preseason, I hoped that Southerland was going to blow up this year, as I felt it was our best chance at a potentially great year. But he's just too inconsistent. Fair is our best player, but he's not a nationally elite player, in the All American sense. He's an incredibly good complementary player and is certainly all league, but he's not all american. Great college player, great 4 year player. Not going to be an NBA guy.

I thought this team will be so much better next year, but in truth, I think most of next year's class is also complementary players. We didn't bring in that mega-stud recruit in this upcoming class. We missed on those guys. Right now we are a program that has a great sum of parts, but lacks the cherry on top. We have to rely on these players getting better.

Carter Williams is not ready at all for the NBA. I doubt he stays next year, but he really ought to think hard about it. Losing Triche will be tough because he does so many things for this team, but he gets brain freezes in big moments. Scoop was more dependable to come up in a truly big spot than Brandon.

Cooney is so much farther away from being a contributor than I hoped after him having had a redshirt year, playing with guys like Dion and Scoop and Triche and Mike. Geez, does anybody see him as a starting 2 guard next fall and feel that we could count on him?

Christmas doesn't know how to present in the post to get the ball on offense. All he knows how to do is pick and roll. That's it. We run way too much pick and roll. It makes our offense too perimeter oriented and too predictable. If the PG can't consistently get around the corner on the defender, then what else do you have to fall back on ? I guess you could say that about a lot of college basketball today, though. Maybe that's part of the problem.

I don't see a lot of good offense out there, and I don't see very many teams who can feed the post. Is it the fault of college centers if no one passes them the ball for 95% of the game unless it's rolling to the basket off a pick? Are the centers really that deficient these days, or is it just that they don't teach or play that kind of ball very much anymore?

As the season has worn on, Mike is having a harder time getting that corner. At 6-6, he's not quick enough to get by some of these small waterbug guards. Will that get better with another year? I think a little. But his outside shooting could get a LOT better by coming back.

Lost to teams that aren't that good?! We lost to a Villanova team at their place where they have now beaten us, Louisville and Marquette. We lost to Gtown today, a top ten team to be with 9 straight victories and the player of the year in the conference. We lost to UConn where they were 10-1 at home after beating us and had an RPI in the 20's. And we lost to Pitt at their place where they are 13-1 all time against Top 10 teams. Way to give credit to the teams we play. A lot of top 20 teams this year have lost to far worse teams than those 4.

Lost to teams that aren't that good?! We lost to a Villanova team at their place where they have now beaten us, Louisville and Marquette. We lost to Gtown today, a top ten team to be with 9 straight victories and the player of the year in the conference. We lost to UConn where they were 10-1 at home after beating us and had an RPI in the 20's. And we lost to Pitt at their place where they are 13-1 all time against Top 10 teams. Way to give credit to the teams we play. A lot of top 20 teams this year have lost to far worse teams than those 4.

I take that back a bit - winning at Louisville without Southerland was a signature win. Southerland came up big at Arkansas early in the year. But we have had some big games lately and lost them all. We should not have 4 losses at this point in the Big East. I thought this team might lose only 1 or 2 in conference all year. I was mistaken, but that was my expectation for this group. Maybe they're not as good as I thought.

I take that back a bit - winning at Louisville without Southerland was a signature win. Southerland came up big at Arkansas early in the year. But we have had some big games lately and lost them all. We should not have 4 losses at this point in the Big East. I thought this team might lose only 1 or 2 in conference all year. I was mistaken, but that was my expectation for this group. Maybe they're not as good as I thought.
Agreed. I don't think we are where we should be right now. We really need this win at Marquette now. We did not show up on our own court, and that's a scary thought. Have to use it as a character builder and show Marquette and everyone else that we've still got heart. If we don't do this, I am not loving our chances going into March.

Agreed. I don't think we are where we should be right now. .

SU is exactly who they are. They may not be who you thought they were going to be but then that was really over expectations. Why did people expect Xams to suddenly develop an offensive game? Coleman's expectaions were way off too. Triche is playing just the way he has always played, and maybe even a little better. MCW was expected to be a star night in, night out but he is just really into his 1st full year so inconsitentcy is not unusual. To me, they are lucky to be where they are. They basically have 4 guys who can score and 3 of them are streaky. The only consistent player is CJ. Any other year and this team would not be top 10 nor tied for the BE lead. Play last years team this year and they would be even better than they were last year believe it or not, no contest!

Which of the teams we lost to are better than us? So what that they're ranked. We are too, in case you forgot. If we are worthy of a 1 or 2 seed we can't be losing these games, at least not so many of them.

SU is exactly who they are. They may not be who you thought they were going to be but then that was really over expectations. Why did people expect Xams to suddenly develop an offensive game? Coleman's expectaions were way off too. Triche is playing just the way he has always played, and maybe even a little better. MCW was expected to be a star night in, night out but he is just really into his 1st full year so inconsitentcy is not unusual. To me, they are lucky to be where they are. They basically have 4 guys who can score and 3 of them are streaky. The only consistent player is CJ. Any other year and this team would not be top 10 nor tied for the BE lead. Play last years team this year and they would be even better than they were last year believe it or not, no contest!

Go back to St. Bonaventure.

Just like UConn in one more respect: each team has no center.

And Syracuse either a.) had a wild mutiny in which the players disregarded the gameplan and attempted at least 20 threes, or b.) the coaching staff thought Syracuse had a good chance to win by shooting at least 20 threes.

Ha. Very nice.

Yeah, well said. Really frustrating like you said in both UConn and Georgetown we could not capitalize off of their truly horrendous starts. Unbelievable, really. Never seen a team anywhere in the country just chuck threes like we do. Off no passes or without a plan of attack. Florida and Michigan do this occasionally but they have way better design, plan of attack, and actually have the shooters to pull it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom