Just need Desko to step up | Syracusefan.com

Just need Desko to step up

GoSU96

Living Legend
Hopefully the fact that hoops and football are both ranked means that we are seeing a return to what we took for granted back in the 80's and 90's.

This is the combined outcomes by calendar year for the big 3 at SU since 81

1540868979070.png

The closest to the run between 1987 and 2001 was 2013 coming off of the Pinstripe and ending with the Texas bowl

Let's hope they can all reach that level of performance again for the next couple of years.

Looks like women's basketball is going to take the place of lacrosse as the third leg of success this time. More money in it anyway.

Looks like women's basketball is going to take the place of lacrosse as the third leg of success this time. More money in it anyway.

I'd imagine both of those programs run a deficit.

I'd imagine both of those programs run a deficit.

More money potentially in women's basketball. The latest figures I could find show some 40 or so women's b'ball teams finishing in the black.

There are 2 distinct camps -- those that think lax matters in the big picture and those that don't care. Personally, I'd be ok if they disbanded the lax teams and put that money towards Dino's coaching staff salary.

There are 2 distinct camps -- those that think lax matters in the big picture and those that don't care. Personally, I'd be ok if they disbanded the lax teams and put that money towards Dino's coaching staff salary.
Nahh. Lax is a growth sport, with numbers increasing at the youth and college levels. More than double the amount of NCAA lax teams, as there were in 2001. Many of the athletes at the younger levels are picking lax over baseball. I wouldn't be surprised if lax surpasses baseball in a few decades.

2018 lax semi finals/finals each had 30,000 in attendance. There is an appetite, and I think it increases.

Good idea lets shut down our most successful athletic program where were considered the gold standard, makes sense. :bang:

Good idea lets shut down our most successful athletic program where were considered the gold standard, makes sense. :bang:
Nobody is debating the success of those programs at least historically speaking. The revenue producing sports are f'ball and to some extent hoops. Nothing else has remotely the same impact or fan support. Sure more people are playing lax but it's still just a cult following on par with Crunch hockey for interest level. Not sure why it's even a debate.

And, btw, being a "growth" sport is actually the biggest reason Desko is struggling. There are more options for kids coming out of high school now and the SU allure isn't what it used to be. Sort of like when SU and Nebraska were the only schools that would take black quarterbacks.

Nobody is debating the success of those programs at least historically speaking. The revenue producing sports are f'ball and to some extent hoops. Nothing else has remotely the same impact or fan support. Sure more people are playing lax but it's still just a cult following on par with Crunch hockey for interest level. Not sure why it's even a debate.

And, btw, being a "growth" sport is actually the biggest reason Desko is struggling. There are more options for kids coming out of high school now and the SU allure isn't what it used to be. Sort of like when SU and Nebraska were the only schools that would take black quarterbacks.

SU lacrosse has earned plenty of money for the school, all their gear is free and they lead the country in attendance pretty much every year. Desko's struggles are well documented the last 5+ years when it comes to tournament success. No one has brought it up more then myself but he's still 8-0 the last two years in the ACC and has finally gotten the recruiting back on tract the last couple of classes and this falls class as well. SU lax is well known and respected throughout the country. If were judging all other SU sports based on the fan interest compared to football and bball lax is by far #3 behind those two.

tenor.gif

SU lacrosse has earned plenty of money for the school, all their gear is free and they lead the country in attendance pretty much every year. Desko's struggles are well documented the last 5+ years when it comes to tournament success. No one has brought it up more then myself but he's still 8-0 the last two years in the ACC and has finally gotten the recruiting back on tract the last couple of classes and this falls class as well. SU lax is well known and respected throughout the country. If were judging all other SU sports based on the fan interest compared to football and bball lax is by far #3 behind those two.
About 4200 attendance per lax game. Gotta think that puts a nice dent in expenses... 30k for the championship, is higher than the 25k per game, of the college world series.

Soccer? We average 1400

Last edited:
About 4500 attendance per lax game. Gotta think that puts a nice dent in expenses... 30k for the championship, is higher than the 25k per game, of the college world series.

Soccer? We average 1400

4500 ticket paying fans, plus parking costs, beer food etc. No offense to other sports but whose paying to attend a mens or womens soccer game? or a Womans ice hockey game. If your have a beef with attendance take it up with SU for having the womens bball team play in the Dome in front of 12 people.

The lax championship has drawn 50K multiple times not to mention the attendance for the two final four games that Sat and the quarter final games. Your simply not a lax guy which is fine but don't try and say its some sort or resource drainer for the school, your couldn't be more off base.

Is there a minimum sport requirement for the ACC? I understand that there is an overall balance needed for title 9. Not sure what the rules are for team totals. Could we even eliminate lacrosse: Duke, UNC, UVa, Cuse, ND have lacrosse...everyone but SU has baseball. Seems like we have less overall than most.

Is there a minimum sport requirement for the ACC? I understand that there is an overall balance needed for title 9. Not sure what the rules are for team totals. Could we even eliminate lacrosse: Duke, UNC, UVa, Cuse, ND have lacrosse...everyone but SU has baseball. Seems like we have less overall than most.
Not all the ACC schools have the same Mens' sports. The Mens' sports in the ACC are Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Football, Golf, Lax, Soccer, Swim/Dive, Tennis, Track/Field and Wrestling. Then some schools have Mens' sports that aren't sponsored by the ACC...Ice Hockey, Rifle, Rowing, Sailing and Skiing.

Last edited:
754376.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom