Just one comment | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Just one comment

We're "loaded" if loaded were the same as "deep."

We have floor-to-ceiling QUALITY. But, there isn't one surefire NBA talent on the team. We don't have a single dominant player. That's why we aren't a dominant team.

And, because JB will never actually utilize the depth, we're limited by the amount of talent that can occupy the floor at any one time.

I'd feel more confident if our ranking weren't just a matter of having 'lost' less to the draft or matriculation than other teams. Returning 70-something percent of the scoring is a nice thing, but it doesn't make us dangerous. What would make us dangerous is if the defense were as good as it was two years ago and not at all what it was last year. Health, also, is a major component. We'll start healthy. If we finish healthy, we've got a decent chance, to be a factor in March. But, not having that super-strong 1-2 punch, i don't know that we can't just as easily be a quick out- taken out by some hot mid-major.

Loaded, yes....

But thats not the real issue. As UConn proved last year, chemistry is whats important.
We need all that talent to learn & ACCEPT their roles, & hopefully get hot at the right time.
I have all faith in JB- we should have a hell of a season!
LGO:D

We're "loaded" if loaded were the same as "deep."

We have floor-to-ceiling QUALITY. But, there isn't one surefire NBA talent on the team. We don't have a single dominant player. That's why we aren't a dominant team.

And, because JB will never actually utilize the depth, we're limited by the amount of talent that can occupy the floor at any one time.

I'd feel more confident if our ranking weren't just a matter of having 'lost' less to the draft or matriculation than other teams. Returning 70-something percent of the scoring is a nice thing, but it doesn't make us dangerous. What would make us dangerous is if the defense were as good as it was two years ago and not at all what it was last year. Health, also, is a major component. We'll start healthy. If we finish healthy, we've got a decent chance, to be a factor in March. But, not having that super-strong 1-2 punch, i don't know that we can't just as easily be a quick out- taken out by some hot mid-major.

There is definitely some truth to this. I'm optimistic seeing the changed bodies of our guards and with those who needed to bulk up. I think lack of quickness in certain areas was a killer last season. We'll see. We have the horses finally to be a team where JB could truly go 9-10 deep and wear teams down if he chooses to.

Tremendous passer, though. Best court vision of any Syracuse big in the last twenty years.
I think you underestimate Craig Forth's court vision and passing ability.

Replacing Rick is going to be huge. I'll admit, I was never the biggest Rick fan ever, because while he was a great rebounder and shot blocker, he brought next to nothing offensively. If we CAN replace him, though, we have a legitimate shot at a national championship.

But how will we be better? Well, players improve, which means that hopefully all of our returners will have taken another step forward. BMK has apparently added muscle, Fab and Dion lost weight, etc...if Kris can develop a consistent short pull up, and Scoop can just be consistent in general...we're off to a good start.

PG - Scoop/MCW
SG - Brandon/Cooney/Mookie
SF - Joseph/Fair or Southerland
PF - Fair or Southerland or X-Mas
C - Fab/BMK

That is a legit 11 players who could all contribute in some way. Mookie Jones would average 20 a game in the America East, and he's probably going to be our 11th man.

You left out Dion. That makes a dozen legit contributors.

Yeah I know. I mentioned a little earlier in the thread, for some reason Dion always completely slips my mind, so really, you've got a 12th man (Mookie) who would be All-League someplace like the America East.

I agree, it's hard to be pessimistic about this team but I do think there are warts here that could undermine what is an excellent collection of talent. I still have questions about whether or not Waiters has truly "changed" into a better person -- and we've all seen what off-the-court antics can do a team's on-court performance.

I also question how well this team fits together. In other words, are there a lot of duplicate parts with some noticeable holes -- the biggest of which is post scoring.

Which brings me to the point of my post: You thought rj brought "next to nothing" offensively? a big body who scored 1200 points and generally shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 60% was next to nothing? I don't know -- i havent seen the MM festivities -- but i have a suspicion you see waaaaaaayyyyyy less production from the big men on the team this season.

I love Rick, but come on let's not act like a 6'9 guy making 60% of his layups is a big deal

I love Rick, but come on let's not act like a 6'9 guy making 60% of his layups is a big deal

He caught passes and finished plays. It's not going to be confused with Melo or Hak and he wasn't as good as AO in that regard, but we have yet to see that out of Melo or BMK.

He caught passes and finished plays. It's not going to be confused with Melo or Hak and he wasn't as good as AO in that regard, but we have yet to see that out of Melo or BMK.

And it was a refreshing change from the Watkins/Roberts years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom