Just saw Raftery on ESPN... | Syracusefan.com

Just saw Raftery on ESPN...

Room 914

Walk On
He was talking about great big east moments and how he's had such a great time calling so many classic games.

Then they showed G-Mac runner, Devendorf on the table, Kemba step back, Talik Brown bank shot...etc.

It really hit me, the BE is totally done. And it sucks. I'm pretty young, and a lot of you guys have more big east memories then me, but it's what I grew up on. My favorite thing related to sports for a long time has been "Big East basketball."

Mick Cronin said it best, "It's tough time to be an administrator, but it's tougher to be a fan. It's sad that one sport can dicate everything. rivalries, fan involvement, are all going to the wayside for the all mighty dollar.

I'm not sure it has totally and completely hit me yet... It is sad to be sure. We have had a lot of fantastic memories with those seven schools.

I'm not sure it has totally and completely hit me yet... It is sad to be sure. We have had a lot of fantastic memories with those seven schools.

It hasn't hit me yet either. It will when the BE season starts and we get to the lasts. The last time we play St John's. The last Big Monday. Our last trip to Hartford. The big one is going to be the last Big East Tournament. I doubt I'll be able to get a BET ticket for under $250 for any of our games on stubhub except maybe a Thursday day session. That's going to be quite the scene.

It will be like the last few weeks in college when you realize "holy ! This is actually ending!"

We are going to see so many ESPN montages and top 10 lists. For me its going to be really sad.

But I'm also SO excited for our future in the ACC. Louisville, Pitt and Notre Dame are joining us and will help ease the landing. We'll get to play Duke and UNC regularly. I believe Cantor when she says that we're going to put the court in the middle of the Dome the first time either of them show up. Guarantee that's going to be a Gameday game and one of the biggest regular season spectacles in the history of college basketball.

I also think that Syracuse and NC State are going to be pretty big rivals. They were really upset by the way we turned out to our game down there last year and how we acted like the wonderfully obnoxious fans we are. Gottfried also took some shots at JB for his comments about NYC vs Greensboro. That's certainly no "Manley Fieldhouse is officially closed" but its a start.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

They'll land on their feet, make a very good basketball conference, and SU will still play many of them in the OOC. Lots of money to be played by playing some of those squads.

They'll land on their feet, make a very good basketball conference, and SU will still play many of them in the OOC. Lots of money to be played by playing some of those squads.
Doubt we will play 'many' of them. G'town? Maybe. St. John's? Probably, to maintain a MSG presence. Nova? Possibly, to maintain a Phila presence. Other than that, I would guess not. Nothing to be gained.

Only if SU gets enough conference money from the ACC so they can afford home-n-home with those guys, otherwise it may be only one or two a season. Hey, maybe some bright guy can set up an early season tourny with ex-BE teams playing 2 games on a weekend. Would be a huge draw. Can you imagine SU - UConn - St. Johns - Georgetown in MSG for a weekend in Nov/Dec.

Mick Cronin said it best, "It's tough time to be an administrator, but it's tougher to be a fan. It's sad that one sport can dicate everything. rivalries, fan involvement, are all going to the wayside for the all mighty dollar.

And of all the schools that left their conferences in the last 2-3 years in the name of football and money, how many will sniff the 4-team playoff over the next 10-15 years? I'd put my money on Nebraska or Boise, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a goose egg.

Only if SU gets enough conference money from the ACC so they can afford home-n-home with those guys, otherwise it may be only one or two a season. Hey, maybe some bright guy can set up an early season tourny with ex-BE teams playing 2 games on a weekend. Would be a huge draw. Can you imagine SU - UConn - St. Johns - Georgetown in MSG for a weekend in Nov/Dec.
That's a good idea.

If I were AD, I'd make gtown an every year mandatory game. Rotating home games.

Then I'd pitch uconn on an annual game at MSG. Split tickets. Some friday or Saturday in nov-dec.

F St. John's. they suck.

And of all the schools that left their conferences in the last 2-3 years in the name of football and money, how many will sniff the 4-team playoff over the next 10-15 years? I'd put my money on Nebraska or Boise, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a goose egg.
It's not about getting to play in the 4 team playoff. It's about getting a big fat check because the football "king" from your conference got to play and you get a shared piece of the action.

That's a good idea.

If I were AD, I'd make gtown an every year mandatory game. Rotating home games.

Then I'd pitch uconn on an annual game at MSG. Split tickets. Some friday or Saturday in nov-dec.

F St. John's. they suck.

Actually, I proposed the same thing a while back only it was F G'Town. Let's continue to play them OOC every year.

A New Gotham Classic could be SU, Pitt, UConn, and St. John's where we alternate SU vs UConn, Pitt vs St. John's one year and the next SU vs St. John's, Pitt vs UConn. Pitt has more fans at MSG than G'Town anyway.

Cheers,
Neil

2 day mini-tourney with championship and consolation game on day 2. Rotate 1st day matchups on a preset schedule. Substitute Gtown for Pitt, we'll play Pitt enough in conference.

2 day mini-tourney with championship and consolation game on day 2. Rotate 1st day matchups on a preset schedule. Substitute Gtown for Pitt, we'll play Pitt enough in conference.
Actually you would have to find somebody to replace either St. John's or Georgetown for the same reason. I had thought about an old BE ACC vs Catholic league with SU and Pitt against STU and GU. Of course I suppose you could have SU, UConn, SJU/GU and UWV.