Just Saying... | Syracusefan.com

Just Saying...

orange_in_VA

All Conference
I love the direction recruiting is heading, but looking at the final 247 top 250 rankings is depressing. As of today, the followingsschools have commits from multiple players in or just outside 250 : Virginia, NCState, Penn State, Northwestern, and Minnesota. I really hope we can grab some of these guys in the future. We need game-changing talents to compete with the top of the ACC, and as a diehard fan, that invests so much time and money, Im sick of being labeled a bball school.

I don't care if we get a guy that 247 says is in the top 250. I want guys who are great football players. These recruiting sites are so messed up with how they rank these guys that it is pitiful. Many of them play to whoever is their biggest paid supporter on the boards. Because when you look at Ishmael, Edourd and Long there is not way they should not be ranked higher. It is amazing when we see a kid jump in the rankings just because they commit to one school instead of a different school. Watch and see how far Cabinda jumps in the next release. I trust the staff and their evaluation of the talent they are bringing in. I do agree that it would be nice to get some high quality football players and not conitue to lose out on them; have patience things are looking up and I believe we will once again be known not only as a basketball school but also as a football school in the near future.

Last edited:
weedsportwarriors said:
I don't care if we get a guy that 247 says is in the top 250. I want guys who are great football players. These recruiting sites are so messed up with how they rank these guys that it is pitiful. Many of them play to whoever is their biggest paid supporter on the boards. Because when you look at Ishmael, Edourd and Long there is not way they should not be ranked higher. It is amazing when we see a kid jump in the rankings just because they commit to one should instead of a different school. Watch and see how far Cabinda jumps in the next release. I trust the staff and their evaluation of the talent they are bringing in. I do agree that it would be nice to get some high quality football players and not conitue to lose out on them; have patience things are looking up and I believe we will once again be known not only as a basketball school but also as a football school in the near future.

You have saved us much typing oh warrior of weedsport...huzzah to you and port wine made from weeds!

All I know is 7-6 last year and looking for more next. I was happy with the recruiting and the teams we are competing with for most of our guys. The rest is BS to me. Even offers can be BS as well. We have solid recruiters on staff, probably best we have had in a long long time but as I have said for years I don't see Syracuse ever putting a top 20 recruiting class together, we will get some real good kids have to really develop others and at the end of the day the only thing that matters is the scoreboard not the stars.

If we close with some of the kids who are scheduled to visit, this class projects to be in the 40's and maybe higher over at 247.

These 4 kids would put the class in the low 40’s.

Ishmael
Ward
Prater
Enoicy

Plus Jonathon Thomas, Juwan Dowels, DaQain Lawrence move the class solidly into the 40’s.

The home runs would be Kyron Watson and Mikale Wilbon. If by a stroke of luck we got these two on board the class ‘could’ finish in the 30’s.

Watson added to the above group of 4 would (those 5) would put the class in the upper 40's.

If we end up in the 40s that would be a huge jump. Best way to measure where out recruiting stands at the moment is to look at the other offers for our commits and possible commits. No doubt we are competing with more high end programs for these kids. GM didn't get his reputation as a great recruiter by accident, and HCSS, Smith, Lester, Daoust, Bullough are pretty damn solid too. Oh and Eric White is kicking booty too.

We have the potential for 5-6 Four Star recruits (varies sites) which would be the most ever I believe

AJ (ESPN)
Alin (ESPN)
KJ (Skout/Rvals)

Potential

Edoicy (ESPN)
Watson (ESPN)
Wilbon (Rivlz)

We should close ESPN in the 40's. Helps perception wise more then anything

247 is horrid.

Penn State will always dominate us in recruiting.

Rankings should only matter after a kid's 4 year college career. Alot of kids don't fully develop in HS and start to fill out once in college. Kids like Jadeveon Clowney don't happen all the time and we will never get those types of kids.

So many great comments above regarding player development, the evaluation expertise of our coaches, and the high quality of the recruits SU already has coming in (or on the cusp). Having said that, I seem to remember during Coach P's heyday that SU was ranked pretty highly by recruiting services during some years. If we held our own before we will surely do it again. Just win, baby!

So many great comments above regarding player development, the evaluation expertise of our coaches, and the high quality of the recruits SU already has coming in (or on the cusp). Having said that, I seem to remember during Coach P's heyday that SU was ranked pretty highly by recruiting services during some years. If we held our own before we will surely do it again. Just win, baby!
Unfortunately there's a huge gap between the top teams then and the top teams now. Hope we can achieve that type of success but it will be much more difficult.

Bottom line, does not matter whether you measure a class by stars, or offers, or measurables, or film study, or wait 2 years before you are willing to assess because white chips can sometimes turn into blue chips.

The question is whether our class is better than in recent years, and are we moving in the right direction. By however you want measure.

Then, how does our class compare to BC, Pitt, Md, Cincy or anyone else you want to use. Again, by however you want to measure.

I believe this class will be better than any in 10 years (if we land a few of the bigs who have January visits), and I believe we are closing the gap against our rivals.