Just talked about players | Syracusefan.com

Just talked about players

OrangeBlood

Starter
Posted in other thread but thought I should also mention in separate thread.

After presser, he did an interview with WGR and SU alum Sal Capaccio. I think that is why the question was asked.

Said he had sent a statement to players (how lame). Also said he is meeting with players on Sunday. Said he wants to thank them for all their work. I guess that is better than nothing.

Also said he has been in contact with assistant coaches at conference.

Marrone said he had contacted recruits to explain the situation. Probably said stick with program or something.

I love Marrone and I love the Bills, but I am disappointed in the way he handled the players. I believe he should
Have called them individually.

This just affirms that athletics is a nasty business no matter what you preach. I think he is perfectly suited for NFL with that mentality.

It is impossible to call each and every player individually. He will have time to over the following days. He didn't even have a contract until late this morning.

At least he reached out to recruits.
Exactly. Making 100+ calls is crazy. Sending them a statement is better than sending a mass text message. I can respect the fact he's meeting with the players on Sunday. There's no easy way to do this.

If they do a final meeting or dinner on Sunday with Marrone, that should be fine for the players and let everyone get closure confirmation, etc.

I'm more concerned with this recruiting dead period and the assistants... who's he taking and who he is not and who from the current coaching staff or athletic department is making calls to the recruits High School coaches to reassure them process is under way for new HC and that will be advised on progress (and ask that they hold out for the good new hire news before making any decisions...)

I would also expect that gives Marrone time to secure/pilfer whomever he plans to take with him from our current staff... so players will get that info. too I would think on Sunday (and so should we)

Didn't another coach who took another job spend the night calling and texting all of his players?

In light of the fact that the contact was finalized late last night/today, how exactly was Marrone supposed to handle this? Curious to hear some of your thoughts.

In light of the fact that the contact was finalized late last night/today, how exactly was Marrone supposed to handle this? Curious to hear some of your thoughts.
Player meeting this morning to break the news. Buffalo is like 30 minutes away by private jet.

Player meeting this morning to break the news. Buffalo is like 30 minutes away by private jet.
The players are at home on Christmas break. Will not be back until this weekend

Posted in other thread but thought I should also mention in separate thread.

After presser, he did an interview with WGR and SU alum Sal Capaccio. I think that is why the question was asked.

Said he had sent a statement to players (how lame). Also said he is meeting with players on Sunday. Said he wants to thank them for all their work. I guess that is better than nothing.

Also said he has been in contact with assistant coaches at conference.

Marrone said he had contacted recruits to explain the situation. Probably said stick with program or something.

I love Marrone and I love the Bills, but I am disappointed in the way he handled the players. I believe he should
Have called them individually.

This just affirms that athletics is a nasty business no matter what you preach. I think he is perfectly suited for NFL with that mentality.

100+ phone calls? So it's his responsibility to sit there for 10 plus hours calling current players and recruits to inform them personally?

What's it like living on Mars anyway? You're certainly not from this planet.

That doesn't matter CTO. They should all be flown back immediately on Coach Marrone's dime so that he can inform them in person as soon as possible.

(And yes that's sarcasm - I honestly don't understand how some people think)

Since DM was going all in on securing an NFL job, why could he have not told the team that after the bowl game. IMO he should have resigned at that point as well.
Btw there may have been negotiations over the past few days re the last year of his existing contract. That could affect what he can or can't do about bringing them to Buffalo.

Should have said about bringing any SU assistants to Buffalo.

Since DM was going all in on securing an NFL job, why could he have not told the team that after the bowl game. IMO he should have resigned at that point as well.

C'mon, you can't be serious? Please put yourself in his shoes.

I forgot about that.

Certainly, some system exists for players to communicate with players during the off-season. Whether it's through an e-mail or text/phone tree, the players should be receiving this sort of news from within the program and not through a press conference or news report.

It is impossible to call each and every player individually. He will have time to over the following days. He didn't even have a contract until late this morning.

At least he reached out to recruits.
The new Wisconsin coach spent all night calling every player on the team when he left Utah State.

I forgot about that.

Certainly, some system exists for players to communicate with players during the off-season. Whether it's through an e-mail or text/phone tree, the players should be receiving this sort of news from within the program and not through a press conference or news report.
Now that you're caught up on the semester break. Read the OP.

I forgot about that.

Now you're just nitpicking.

C'mon, you can't be serious? Please put yourself in his shoes.
Why? This wasn't a situation where a team was coming to him and he wanted to hear them out. He was aggressively and publicly marketing himself for every NFL opening available. Some of these searches will go on for weeks if not longer.

Some coaches just pack up and leave in the middle of the night. If he actually talks to the players, I think that is a good thing and give credit to Marrone for that...even if a little late.

Now that you're caught up on the semester break. Read the OP.
You're so wonderfully witty.

However, all the things Doug said he did as listed in the OP (statement to players, etc) appear to have been taken well after the fact. There have been several comments reported by players, most notably Keon Lyn's tweet, that indicate they were not well-informed by the program about what was really going on. That, I think, contradicts all the talk of integrity and commitment that we've heard from Doug these past few years.

Why? This wasn't a situation where a team was coming to him and he wanted to hear them out. He was aggressively and publicly marketing himself for every NFL opening available. Some of these searches will go on for weeks if not longer.

So he should have resigned before having a job? Lol.

You're so wonderfully witty.

However, all the things Doug said he did as listed in the OP (statement to players, etc) appear to have been taken well after the fact. There have been several comments reported by players, most notably Keon Lyn's tweet, that indicate they were not well-informed by the program about what was really going on. That, I think, contradicts all the talk of integrity and commitment that we've heard from Doug these past few years.
Agree that if he didn't let them know he was interviewing (I think we don't know this for sure), he should have. If he didn't, it's not a lack of integrity, unless he promised he would let them know. It's just that he missed the opportunity to prevent the media reports from being a surprise to the players.

So he should have resigned before having a job? Lol.
Well I can say that I worked in corporations for quite a long time and negotiated/gave advice on a number of senior executive contracts. If one of our executives did what he did I can guarantee that most folks on the employer side would be nowhere near as accepting of his methods as you seem to be. His credibility if he came back also would have been shot.
Unless of course he did tell SU his plans in advance.

Btw there may have been negotiations over the past few days re the last year of his existing contract. That could affect what he can or can't do about bringing them to Buffalo.

So let me get this straight. If you decide to interview for a new job (which in most cases, if you're to the point of interviewing you are open to leaving and not just posturing), you should inform those that report to you that you are interviewing and at that point resign from your job.

With the career advice on here, we'll all be at the soup line. Or riding the Turnip Truck if we're lucky.