just want to brain dump some early season thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

just want to brain dump some early season thoughts

Agreed on his lack of consistency. And I wasn't trying to imply that he plays well against the better teams. I just think he gets an unfairly rough treatment around here by some. Which makes those of us who really enjoy his game have to defend him (I know - I don't "have" to defend this kid) so we look like we are apologists.

I think he's an excellent rebounder, even going against the bigger guys. When he knows he can't clear the ball himself, he tries to tip it out to his teammates. He has leaked out more in the past to get the break going, but it sounds like he's crashing offensive boards more this year than before.

Sorry, I was agreeing with you. Looks like I was all over the place in that post.

Don't we say this every year? Every year we have guys who step up. We lost the #4 pick Waiters, and 2 second rounders in KJO and Fab. We're currently #6 in the country.

You forgot Scoop. Lots might disagree, but Scoop may have been a bigger loss than Joseph - by some margin. Not meant to be a Kris put-down, but like CJ's relative non-presence in 3 games so far, some of that seems to have been due to Coach B's game plan. Kinda leaves room for that one "wandering" SU player. But Scoop's contributions were notable.

It is a different year, and different game plan, though, yeah.

One observation: Triche is crashing the offensive glass better than ever before. Half the time one of our bigs misses a shot, it seems that Triche is elevating and tipping the ball in. Will be interesting to see if this trend continues. He's always been a strong rebounder for a guard.

Here's another observation about Triche:

This season he seems to be using his strength to penetrate more aggressively than in the past, and he's finishing more effectively with his left hand. In his first three years, 44% of his shots came from beyond the arc; this year that number is down to 24%. I hope this trend continues because it will ultimately result in better looks from outside and frequent trips to the line.

Here's another observation about Triche:

This season he seems to be using his strength to penetrate more aggressively than in the past, and he's finishing more effectively with his left hand. In his first three years, 44% of his shots came from beyond the arc; this year that number is down to 24%. I hope this trend continues because it will ultimately result in better looks from outside and frequent trips to the line.

Yes - better things will happen if Triche drives rather than settles for jumpers; his strength is his strength. He should be aiming to get to the line ten times a game.

Triche is the epitome of a player who does his best against crap competition. Against better teams his drives to the lane get swatted left and right. But we do get to hear Jay Bilas et al talk about how he's the most talented SU player, so it must be true . What announcers and analysts say is always true , right?

Backwards.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm a little flabbergasted by the doom&gloom tone of this thread, but to each his own.
Triche, CJ, and Southerland were inconsistent at times last year, hence the doubt & worry.
I'm most encouraged by MCW, Rak, and believe it or not, Cooney especially on defense. Why??
Because I've seen this "errant shooting by a frosh" movie before- anyone else recall a nervous JS or Andy Rautins clanging treys until they got comfortable?
JB seems quietly confident about this team, and from what I've seen so far, I believe he has a right to be.
These kids work HARD, especially on defense, and all that needs molding right now are each player's roles.
Perspective is a beautiful thing...

Hey, it was just an observation and my opinion. I don't know what prompted that response. But to your point, Triche did have an awful game against that crap team Ohio St. in the regional final last season, didn't he?

he did ok. was not some transcendent game that alters your perception of a player he's spent 3 years forming.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=320840183

he did ok. was not some transcendent game that alters your perception of a player he's spent 3 years forming.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=320840183

He was netter than OK especially seeing when he scored and kept us in the game. As to the crap teams, you need to only go back.to last year to find a number of games where he came up huge against good teams. I'm not going back and looking but Florida and WVU come to mind.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom