Just watched Clemson vs NC ST. replay... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Just watched Clemson vs NC ST. replay...

But they dont get them. Thats why the roster represents lighter and more explosive D lineman.
I'm not necessarily directing this at you, money ...just responding in context ...

I've said it before and I will say it again ...Syracuse can recruit good defensive tackles, and have done so with poor to mediocre coaches.

Scott Shafer went down south and picked up 2 defensive tackles at the end of a cycle, and one of them was a good contributor. The other decided to leave Syracuse. There's absolutely no reason that Babers can't find some guys. We shouldn't be in the situation we are there.

This is the one major criticism I have with Babers right now. You only need one in this scheme, so it shouldn't be hard to get depth, and it's an absolutely critical position. We'll see how Syracuse handles the load with Darton, and now Fuentes

Hopefully success this season translates into locking in a few recruits or portal guys who might not have given us a first or second look. I know HCDB and crew can identify talent. But we desperately need an injection of DL and OL. Frankly if I were a DL kid I would love to play in this system. Plenty of playing time. Lots of opportunity to get after QBs, not just sitting back tying up OLmen. Be part of a MOB.

I'm not necessarily directing this at you, money ...just responding in context ...

I've said it before and I will say it again ...Syracuse can recruit good defensive tackles, and have done so with poor to mediocre coaches.

Scott Shafer went down south and picked up 2 defensive tackles at the end of a cycle, and one of them was a good contributor. The other decided to leave Syracuse. There's absolutely no reason that Babers can't find some guys. We shouldn't be in the situation we are there.

This is the one major criticism I have with Babers right now. You only need one in this scheme, so it shouldn't be hard to get depth, and it's an absolutely critical position. We'll see how Syracuse handles the load with Darton, and now Fuentes
Good thoughts. I think they can get decent D Tackles but they also look for ones that are unique to the scheme. The guys we have now are just young. Jaquez Bassette Nolton were great gets. Now let’s see how they pan out on the field. I think we see a big jump from the group next year.

Good thoughts. I think they can get decent D Tackles but they also look for ones that are unique to the scheme. The guys we have now are just young. Jaquez Bassette Nolton were great gets. Now let’s see how they pan out on the field. I think we see a big jump from the group next year.
Just asking ...do you believe Nolton and Jaquez are headed to defensive tackle? I thought they were defensive ends ...

I think people just want 300 pounders!!! You can find kids like that at the d3 level. The issue is to find real big guys that are still extremely athletic. It's obvious that the staff if not willing to sacrifice the athleticism for size. They went after a bunch of kids this summer and came up empty. Again, I am sure there were kids they could get but they didn't meet their criteria. Dino has stated that a few times. It's a bit of a different approach than many but again people want a different approach when it aligns with their opinion and standard approach with what most coaches do when that is what they think is right

People can choose to believe him or not. Is it a bit of a letdown? Sure, but it happens.

If we can win a couple years I suspect we see better players want to play for you in that system.

We just have stayed at a level to get that done for too long. But if you look at the level of play at other parts of the D it has improved. We need to get the DT at that level as well.

Just like the Oline needs to step it up.

Just asking ...do you believe Nolton and Jaquez are headed to defensive tackle? I thought they were defensive ends ...
Oh, my bad I was just talking about D line recruits in general. Not specifically DT. Those two are DE's

I think people just want 300 pounders!!! You can find kids like that at the d3 level. The issue is to find real big guys that are still extremely athletic. It's obvious that the staff if not willing to sacrifice the athleticism for size. They went after a bunch of kids this summer and came up empty. Again, I am sure there were kids they could get but they didn't meet their criteria. Dino has stated that a few times. It's a bit of a different approach than many but again people want a different approach when it aligns with their opinion and standard approach with what most coaches do when that is what they think is right

People can choose to believe him or not. Is it a bit of a letdown? Sure, but it happens.
I think Dino is way over-thinking it at that position. He wants the perfect DT recruits. If you can't get perfect, you better settle for some kids you still think can help

they have a fine line because they can also only have so many kids.. They have to decide if taking a transfer for 1-2 yrs helps them more then developing a kid for 3-4 yrs and can the transfer learn the scheme enough to be useful..

they have a fine line because they can also only have so many kids.. They have to decide if taking a transfer for 1-2 yrs helps them more then developing a kid for 3-4 yrs and can the transfer learn the scheme enough to be useful..

Yeah they can't afford to miss on too many. Also only so many snaps to go around as well when you are only playing 1 DT. The secondary where they need 5 they have a ton of quality depth which would make sense. If I were recruiting a DT against Syracuse I know what I would be telling kids.

Yeah they can't afford to miss on too many. Also only so many snaps to go around as well when you are only playing 1 DT. The secondary where they need 5 they have a ton of quality depth which would make sense. If I were recruiting a DT against Syracuse I know what I would be telling kids.
the good news for SU is that as the talent is getting better more and more guys are seeing the field. We are playing 7-10 Dbs in any given game right now even in some important spots of the game. If guys play well they get to see the field and often in more than garbage times. we are playing a rotation of Dline and LBs as well. and people see that we are not afraid to play the young guys.

its not like when we played a 4-3 we had DTs to spare either.

It was interesting that Geer lost so much weight this offseason. Prior to then, he looked like a possible DT candidate to me.

the good news for SU is that as the talent is getting better more and more guys are seeing the field. We are playing 7-10 Dbs in any given game right now even in some important spots of the game. If guys play well they get to see the field and often in more than garbage times. we are playing a rotation of Dline and LBs as well. and people see that we are not afraid to play the young guys.

its not like when we played a 4-3 we had DTs to spare either.
Good points. One of the more impressive things about White, to me anyway, is that the players that rotate in all seem to have a good sense of the calls and their responsibilities.

I think Dino is way over-thinking it at that position. He wants the perfect DT recruits. If you can't get perfect, you better settle for some kids you still think can help
It’s not in a vacuum - if they are comparing subpar transfers to the kids they’re high on that they see every day, even if they are young - go with the young guys already here.

Considering that the coaching staff is or was recruiting Pierce, Lora, Norman, Blanding, and Cissokho for the 2023 DL (whose reported HS weights are all in the 265-290 range), the OP point seems quite valid.
LISTEN and listen very closely, I will not allow ANYONE to have a good DL conversation, until we formally invite our Purdue fans back. Then and only then! Will we truly understand the intricacies of how IMPORTANT the size of your d line matters. Lemme start for them. I will begin chronologically dissecting the D line from the 1965 penn state team all the way till present day……..

Last edited:
Give me a break we have a walk on starting. Bring kids in at the dl position and coach them up. Not sure why we whiffed at DL hopefully we land a few this year

Give me a break we have a walk on starting. Bring kids in at the dl position and coach them up. Not sure why we whiffed at DL hopefully we land a few this year
...and Purdue has a former walk-on (and probably a high draft choice) QB leading their high octane offense. Obviously, it would be great to have a couple of bodies to plug in at DT but it didn't happen. Hopefully, our true frosh grow up quickly.

...and Purdue has a former walk-on (and probably a high draft choice) QB leading their high octane offense. Obviously, it would be great to have a couple of bodies to plug in at DT but it didn't happen. Hopefully, our true frosh grow up quickly.

It happens and we aren't the only program dealing with it, couple transfers, injuries etc

Steven Clark committed, then got an offer from Florida, but because we had been the only power 5 to offer, stayed with his commitment.
Nowadays players don't stay with their original commitment, when a bigger offer comes along.

My argument is that we have a walk on starting because the coaching staff isn't doing enough to bring in actual recruits at DT. We are basically saying the same thing

Steven Clark committed, then got an offer from Florida, but because we had been the only power 5 to offer, stayed with his commitment.
Nowadays players don't stay with their original commitment, when a bigger offer comes along.
Um, naw

some players stick with a commitment and some don’t, but it’s been that way forever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom