Just wondering | Syracusefan.com

Just wondering

Did you want him out a decade ago?

• Wanted him out both times

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Didn't want him out then but want him out now.

Votes: 19 95.0%

• Total voters

SWC75

Bored Historian
A decade ago there was a group of fans who wanted JB 'eased into retirement' because of consecutive NCAA one-and-dones and two NIT years, one undeserved and the other the product of the most injuries we've ever had.

Then came the 6OT game, two #1 ranked teams and two Final Fours. Now here we are again. things have been going badly and a bunch of posters want JB to leave early.

How many of you wanted JB our a decade ago? How many of you defended him then but want him out now?

If he was 50 I wouldn't want him gone now.

I don't really want him gone but I think that because he's already leaving that we should transition asap. Mainly because of recruiting.

A decade ago there was a group of fans who wanted JB 'eased into retirement' because of consecutive NCAA one-and-dones and two NIT years, one undeserved and the other the product of the most injuries we've ever had.

Then came the 6OT game, two #1 ranked teams and two Final Fours. Now here we are again. things have been going badly and a bunch of posters want JB to leave early.

How many of you wanted JB our a decade ago? How many of you defended him then but want him out now?

I wanted to see he could change after a sustained duration of mediocrity.

After the 2009 team, JB clearly made a renewed commitment to the zone and the type of player he wanted. Length, athleticism, etc. While I didn't like being zone-only half court defense, I could appreciate the new strategy.

Two things about this time period:
1) we made the choice to recruit Fab Melo. That was a calculated risk and it blew up in our face.
2) I truly think 2010 should have been our year if Arinze doesn't get hurt. Who knows how life plays out for Cuse/JB after that.

Now? I'm worried now because we are on probation for the second time, JB has an "end date" and we are supposedly promoting Hop without a national search (that I know of).

We've had serious recruiting misses and omissions, are in moderate to serious trouble for next year, depending on who leaves, and have a full coaching staff of former players.

I didn't and don't want JB fired. But I want to know that the program is bigger than one person, even if one person has defined it for four decades.

Last edited:

Was there really talk of retirement after 2008? I honestly don't recall it.

You left off two choices:

- Wanted him out then, but don't want him out now

- Didn't want him out either time

You left off two choices:

- Wanted him out then, but don't want him out now

- Didn't want him out either time

I'm trying to see if the current wave of people who want him out now are the same folks who wanted him out then and who waited for the next sub-par stretch to come back out of the woods or if people were truly reacting to more recent events. So far it's 0-9 so I guess it's the latter, if the responses are honest.

Was there really talk of retirement after 2008? I honestly don't recall it.

I remember watching the 2008 NIT game against Massachusetts. We developed a 24 point second half lead and I was pleased because I wouldn't have to hear all the anti-Boeheim posters demand that he "move on". Incredibly, we lost that game and I decided not to read the board for at least a week.

[QUOTE="SWC75, post: 2010364, member: 289"if the responses are honest.[/QUOTE]
:)

I wanted to see he could change after a sustained duration of mediocrity.

After the 2009 team, JB clearly made a renewed commitment to the zone and the type of player he wanted. Length, athleticism, etc. While I didn't like being zone-only half court defense, I could appreciate the new strategy.

Two things about this time period:
1) we made the choice to recruit Fab Melo. That was a calculated risk and it blew up in our face.
2) I truly think 2010 should have been our year if Arinze doesn't get hurt. Who knows how life plays out for Cuse/JB after that.

Now? I'm worried now because we are on probation for the second time, JB has an "end date" and we are supposedly promoting Hop without a national search (that I know of).

We've had serious recruiting misses and omissions, are in moderate to serious trouble for next year, depending on who leaves, and have a full coaching staff of former players.

I didn't and don't want JB fired. But I want to know that the program is bigger than one person, even if one person has defined it for four decades.
We are supposedly promoting Hop without a national search that I know of. Come on dude really. How many times do we have to go over this?

I think most of the people that wanted him out back then thought the game had passes him by so I'm guessing all of those people would have to want him out now. I'm sure there are some people that want him out now that think he is too old and since he announced when he leaves it hurts us but weren't for it a decade ago. I would actually prefer he stay for a little longer myself. I think his in game coaching, ability to recognize talent and the fact he is a legend who kids respect is what sets us apart. I would just prefer we had left Hop as our primary recruiter and that we had some assistants who weren't all former players. I hate the G-Mac bashing but wish we would have hired an outside guy that is from Nike or something that can get you players. Similar to what Coach Chills is for University of Washington.

I have never said JB should be gone at anytime. That being said there are many times I have been frustrated, especially when it comes to free throw shooting. It always amazes me, especially true with this years team, how so many close in shots-lay-up's etc and free throw shooting can be sub par. These are just kids granted, but kids who have played their entire life and should have honed their skills by now, so much so they had been recruited by many teams, including multiple division 1 teams. As mad as I get at the players I often wonder if the players have flaws, why the coaching staff never corrects them. It seems in more years then not we are seriously outscored at the free throw line.

But those times balance out when compared to the other times...1987 finals will forever hold a special place with me, those who have been here a while know my story and understand why. Through the years the team has provided much entertainment and thrills, all because of the coaching staff. For all the years we question the staff, there are others that we praise the job they have done.

So all in all, it is normal to be both frustrated and proud of the team. Those calling for a coaches head based on a small sample of games, even a season, shows immaturity. But as the fan base grows older, and they understand the true value of the team, those calls will become less and less.

We are supposedly promoting Hop without a national search that I know of. Come on dude really. How many times do we have to go over this?
You would think a board supposedly populated by avid SU hoops fans would understand there actually is a succession plan in place, wouldn't you?

Need another poll option:

ø It's complicated.

Apparently not. The score is now 0-11. Nobody who wants him out now wanted him out a decade ago.

Apparently not. The score is now 0-11. Nobody who wants him out now wanted him out a decade ago.
The fact that only 11 people have voted for one of your two choices suggests that many would have voted for one of the two other options you left out. You might want to do the poll again with all four possibilities; that would give you a better idea of where this board stands as a whole.

The fact that only 11 people have voted for one of your two choices suggests that many would have voted for one of the two other options you left out. You might want to do the poll again with all four possibilities; that would give you a better idea of where this board stands as a whole.

I had a narrower goal: to see if it was the same people I was arguing with a decade ago.

You had 982 views. And only 16 votes? Doesn't that suggest that there may be a lot of members with feelings more complicated than can be represented by your two poll options? Or don't need to deal with being put on A List or the attacks for not being an immutable fan? Even the question is too vague. What does "wanted him out" mean? What if the truest answer was "i wish he would have retired but i think he's earned the right to determine when that happens." And then, what if that answer has changed since then, based on the next ten years?