Kaleb Joseph's handle | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb Joseph's handle

Cuse_NYC

Starter
Yikes... really looked like he couldn't dribble out there today. Won't be surprised if MG will be running the point in crunch time.

Cuse_NYC said:
Yikes... really looked like he couldn't dribble out there today. Won't be surprised if MG will be running the point in crunch time.

He'll be fine. All part of the growing process.

Let's not go overboard here. He got out of control a time or two but his handle is vastly superior to Gbinije's. Lest we forget when Gbinije was standing still dribbling in the halfcourt and the Hampton defender just reached in and took it like G was handing it to him.

Let's not go overboard here. He got out of control a time or two but his handle is vastly superior to Gbinije's. Lest we forget when Gbinije was standing still dribbling in the halfcourt and the Hampton defender just reached in and took it like G was handing it to him.

It was indeed a better hand off than some of the NFL ones today

Is he as smooth as Ennis? No. But he'll get used to the college game and improve. I agree with jekelish that his is better than Gbinije.

you honestly think he has a better handle than G? I mean he really looked bad out there. You can't really fix a handle overnight. Hope you're right.

you honestly think he has a better handle than G? I mean he really looked bad out there. You can't really fix a handle overnight. Hope you're right.
Yes. It's not even close. Gbinije is not and never will be a point guard, no matter how badly Boeheim wants him to be one.

Watching Joseph, his handle reminds me quite a bit of Pearl Washington's. He LOOKS a little wild, particularly when he spins, but he's almost always got it under control. He does get a little chaotic at times but he'll tone that down as he gets more comfortable.

Are you possibly mixing the two up? Do you know which one is which? Because if you think Gbinijie is a better ball handler than Joseph, well, don't apply for any analyst openings.

He just a freshman and played like one at times today. He'll learn from watching the tapes today with the coaches, he's a smart kid with a ton of talent so I'm gonna guess he figures it out.

His confidence did seem to drop off though, at one point he passed the ball to Mike G, who had no defender on him, to bring it up instead of dribbling it past his defender. He needs to stay confident and strong to lead this team.

His handle looks fine. He gets ahead of himself sometimes and gets in tough situations that are hard to dribble out of, but he's got some really nice moves and I don't see his pocket getting picked much.

He's certainly a better ball-handler than G and I'd argue that he's a better ball-handler than Ennis. Ennis played much more under control, but from strictly an ability standpoint, Kaleb has the edge.

KJ will limit his turnovers as he grows, and he'll recognize when he can push the ball or when he has to pull back.

Dcuse said:
Are you possibly mixing the two up? Do you know which one is which? Because if you think Gbinijie is a better ball handler than Joseph, well, don't apply for any analyst openings.

Now, now, Charles Barkley seemed to do just fine spouting off inanities during the NCAAs. Sure, he's a former pro, but I bet people here can think of non jocks/ex coaches who are tools too.

He just a freshman and played like one at times today. He'll learn from watching the tapes today with the coaches, he's a smart kid with a ton of talent so I'm gonna guess he figures it out.

His confidence did seem to drop off though, at one point he passed the ball to Mike G, who had no defender on him, to bring it up instead of dribbling it past his defender. He needs to stay confident and strong to lead this team.
Honestly, I'm fine with a point guard passing it over to the secondary ballhandler, who has no pressure on him, to get the ball over halfcourt.

I mean after all (and this wasn't a full court press of course, but still) the best way to break a press is through passing, not dribbling.

His handle is fine--not remotely an issue.

His judgement needs to improve. He's already learning that he can't get away with some of the stuff he could at the high school level [like lazy passes, spin moves into triple teams, etc.]. Once he figures that out, he'll be rock solid in terms of his handle.

Last edited:
Speaking of handles...Buss reminds me so much of Edelin...Anyone else with me on this one?

Some of us can remember what Hart and Autry looked like as freshman. Kaleb will do just fine by the time we get into the middle of ACC play.

I think Kaleb has an excellent handle. He's a freshman it takes time except in very rare cases.

Yes. It's not even close. Gbinije is not and never will be a point guard, no matter how badly Boeheim wants him to be one.

Watching Joseph, his handle reminds me quite a bit of Pearl Washington's. He LOOKS a little wild, particularly when he spins, but he's almost always got it under control. He does get a little chaotic at times but he'll tone that down as he gets more comfortable.

I'd say he is a blend of Pearl, Scoop and Autry. He has been a little loose with the ball, and he wasn't as effective running the break and getting into the lane as I thought he would be - at least so far. I thought he'd be scoring a bit more than he has, but I guess the first lesson is to learn not to turn over the ball against bigger, more physical defenders than he played against in HS.

Speaking of handles...Buss reminds me so much of Edelin...Anyone else with me on this one?
I admit, I don't see that at all. Edelin had one of the strongest handles of any point guard we've had. Buss is a guy I'm not sure I completely trust to bring the ball up the court against a strong pressure defense. I never doubted that Edelin would get the ball safely up the court.

I'd say he is a blend of Pearl, Scoop and Autry. He has been a little loose with the ball, and he wasn't as effective running the break and getting into the lane as I thought he would be - at least so far. I thought he'd be scoring a bit more than he has, but I guess the first lesson is to learn not to turn over the ball against bigger, more physical defenders than he played against in HS.
Regarding the scoring, he hasn't been attacking the rim nearly as much as I thought he would, but that's also a byproduct of the fact we have two 6-10 guys working the post quite well right now, so there's not a lot of room to work around the lane for a slashing guard.

Honestly, I'm fine with a point guard passing it over to the secondary ballhandler, who has no pressure on him, to get the ball over halfcourt.

I mean after all (and this wasn't a full court press of course, but still) the best way to break a press is through passing, not dribbling.

We've seen FAR too little of this in the past two seasons.

There will be precious few transition opportunities when there's one designated ball-handler who's taking each pass and bringing the ball up.

Through two games, I've enjoyed the return of the outlet pass and quick bucket. Except for that time in the first half of the Hampton game when Gbinije grabbed a rebound, pivoted, and looked in vain for the point guard, apparently forgetting that he was filling that role.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom