Kaleb picks up his dribble... | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb picks up his dribble...

Scotch

Starter
...30 feet from the basket, at the first sign of ball pressure, on about half of our possessions. It's completely inexcusable. You learn not to do this in middle school, and this kid is a high major D1 POINT GUARD. And the thing that is most concerning is that it's an instinctual, panic play. As a frosh, you can forgive making the wrong pass, or taking a bad shot, but not having enough confidence in your handle to just set up the offense? As a PG? Can't win with it.

Picks up his dribble while backing into people. Not a good combination.

Nor is his constant high dribble...Joseph really doesn't appear to be a point guard, he doesn't really create, penetrate or break anyone or the opposing D down. Patterson with his size and strength seemingly appears to have more ability to get into the lane and dish, etc.

Last edited:
I'm hoping it's just a strength issue, but I'm not convinced it is.

Remember his one-on-zero fastbreak against UNC? He dribbled the ball off his pinky finger about 3 times, barely got enough of it on his hand to put it on the glass, and then had a look of absolute relief when the layup went in. I was not a good basketball player, but that looked like crap I did in 8th grade.

He better dribble a ball around campus during the offseason and have football player try to tackle him all day.

I'm hoping it's just a strength issue, but I'm not convinced it is.

Remember his one-on-zero fastbreak against UNC? He dribbled the ball off his pinky finger about 3 times, barely got enough of it on his hand to put it on the glass, and then had a look of absolute relief when the layup went in. I was not a good basketball player, but that looked like crap I did in 8th grade.

He better dribble a ball around campus during the offseason and have football player try to tackle him all day.

I do remember that moment in the UNC game...his high dribble, imo, has nothing to do with strength, but more to do with his skillset, and the likelihood that he has been dribbling that way since the 8th grade or prior, same as you. :)

He needs a ton of work on his left hand. His handle with his left is not D-1 level and he rarely shoots with his left hand when he finishes on the left side of the hoop.

Nor is his constant high dribble...Joseph really doesn't appear to be a point guard, he doesn't really create, penetrate or break anyone or the opposing D down. Patterson with his size and strength seemingly appears to have more ability to get into the lane and dish, etc.

I do think his lack of strength has alot to do with it, he is easily knocked off balance and shies away from the mosh pit that is the lane in an ACC game. I was watching the Ville UVA game yesterday, and what a stark contrast from what we've been watching this year. Guys like Brogdon and Young are grown ass men, while Kaleb and BJ are boys playing in a mans league. They can't get away playing finesse. I'd like to see some more aggression from the youngsters, even if it means throwing an elbow, committing a charge, or head locking a guy trying for a rebound. They have to make up for their lack of size and strength with some fight until they can handle the contact.

I do think his lack of strength has alot to do with it, he is easily knocked off balance and shies away from the mosh pit that is the lane in an ACC game. I was watching the Ville UVA game yesterday, and what a stark contrast from what we've been watching this year. Guys like Brogdon and Young are grown ass men, while Kaleb and BJ are boys playing in a mans league. They can't get away playing finesse. I'd like to see some more aggression from the youngsters, even if it means throwing an elbow, committing a charge, or head locking a guy trying for a rebound. They have to make up for their lack of size and strength with some fight until they can handle the contact.

I diplomatically disagree on the strength issue, at least it being the primary reason. It may be a contributing factor to a minor extent, but the larger issue is his lack of skillset in ball handling. If his handle was better, he would be much more effective and productive, his size/build really isn't that bad for a frosh. BJ's in a different league when it comes to physicality or lack thereof, especially when considering BJ's position.

Maybe these aren't good comparisons, but I don't remember Allan Iverson as a frosh being physically any more stout than KJ, what about Steph Curry. I watched him play numerous times at Davidson College here just north of Charlotte, his size was slender, more so than KJ, but it was his handle that made him so difficult to guard...which is what primarily caused fits for the opposing D's.

Been saying this all year about Kaleb re: dribble. Major red flag at this point of the season. I don't think it is strength. He is bigger than any of the heralded PGs who came in this season and I don't think he is 6'3 either.

Last edited:
I diplomatically disagree on the strength issue, at least it being the primary reason. It may be a contributing factor to a minor extent, but the larger issue is his lack of skillset in ball handling. If his handle was better, he would be much more effective and productive, his size/build really isn't that bad for a frosh. BJ's in a different league when it comes to physicality or lack thereof, especially when considering BJ's position.

Maybe these aren't good comparisons, but I don't remember Allan Iverson as a frosh being physically any more stout than KJ, what about Steph Curry. I watched him play numerous times at Davidson College here just north of Charlotte, his size was slender, more so than KJ, but it was his handle that made him so difficult to guard...which is what primarily caused fits for the opposing D's.

TJ Ford and God Shammgodd too. Both were more slight in build. I get it both were Elite talents but still, I don't think it is strength with Kaleb. Just lack of fundamentals, technique, skill, awareness, etc.

G does that too sometimes. Usually with him and sometimes with KJ, it's because the window they had to make a pass closed up as they stopped dribbling. That's one reason I think KJ will improve. As he anticipates better, he'll make fewer of those head-scratcher mistakes.

G does that too sometimes. Usually with him and sometimes with KJ, it's because the window they had to make a pass closed up as they stopped dribbling. That's one reason I think KJ will improve. As he anticipates better, he'll make fewer of those head-scratcher mistakes.

Hopefully so. Silent G I am sort of giving a pass too since he is a SG/SF playing out of position because it is dire straits out there.

The only comforting thing I saw yesterday was during CollegeGameday when they showed how weak pg play is this year.

I'm not crazy about Joseph's potential, his freshman season is almost over and he hasn't improved in any facet of the game. He played better in the second half due to some scoring but we have 2- 2 guards coming in next year along with 3-2 guards already on the roster, we don't need anymore 2 guards.

But his handle is good enough to get into the lane. Once he does break that first line of defense, he lets up, and usually has his shot blocked, or gets trapped in no mans land because he is stopping his own progress. Maybe it is more confidence than it is a lack of strength, but something is keeping him from driving and drawing more fouls, finishing through contact, he just never gets deep enough.

But his handle is good enough to get into the lane. Once he does break that first line of defense, he lets up, and usually has his shot blocked, or gets trapped in no mans land because he is stopping his own progress. Maybe it is more confidence than it is a lack of strength, but something is keeping him from driving and drawing more fouls, finishing through contact, he just never gets deep enough.
That's what she said.

In all seriousness though, that play where he went baseline...raise your hand if you knew immediately that was a turnover... He does that stuff all the time. Nevermind his weak handle, lack of strength, bad defense or inability to make others better, he makes a ridiculously bad decision at least once or twice a game...in limited minutes. I saw him do that and lost my mind before he inevitably turned it over.

Getting into the lane is a different skill set - it's two quick dribbles. Most college 1s, 2s, and 3s can catch it on the wing, put the ball on the floor once or twice and make something happen going towards that basket. He's not Johnny Flynn, but he's shown some flashes there.

I'm more concerned with him functioning overall as a lead guard - bringing the ball up the floor and getting us into our offense. He'll take the ball to a side, look at the defense, get pressured and then pick up his dribble outside the 3-point line. Then we panic, the defense smells blood, and Cooney and G run towards him to bail him out. We're not good enough on offense to waste 10 seconds of the shot clock doing that fire drill, with our PG stuck on the sideline because he cant keep his dribble alive long enough to reverse the play to the other side of the floor.

Look around the country at other young guards (Melo Trimble?) - this isn't too much to ask.

Last edited:
Regarding the high dribble, that was a big problem with MCW his frosh year as well, but it became a non-issue...hoping for the same.

His lack of peripheral awareness is a big concern. The turnover that got him benched at about the 4 min mark of the first half was awful - defender riding him from behind for 30 ft, and he dribbles to the sideline into a trap...

The only comforting thing I saw yesterday was during CollegeGameday when they showed how weak pg play is this year.

I'm not crazy about Joseph's potential, his freshman season is almost over and he hasn't improved in any facet of the game. He played better in the second half due to some scoring but we have 2- 2 guards coming in next year along with 3-2 guards already on the roster, we don't need anymore 2 guards.

Well, that's not true. He's turning it over less than he did at the beginning of the year. He's taking fewer chances, which has something to do with it. In a sense that's like Tyler Ennis last year - risk averse, which in part is due to what the coach is telling him is important.

Kaleb's problems are that his defense is the weakest of any of the rotation guys (as short as that is), his handle is shaky, (which is one of the reasons I am not crazy about forcing SF/2G's into a PG role in college) and he doesn't seem to see the pass as well as most of the kids we've had in this position recently.

Kid doesn't seem like he dribbles the ball when he's not at practice. The way you develop a handle is you dribble a ball all the time. It's compulsive, like learning how to cut a deck of cards with one hand, or learning how to spin a frisbee on your finger or ride a unicycle. You have to be obsessed about doing it.

This guy just doesnt look very good at anything. He looks like a bench guy that can spell a starter for a few minutes before he is exposed. Slow, small, cant shoot. I used to like him a bit with his little jumpers, but thats gone now.

Kaleb is turning it over less because he is playing hot potato with it. Getting rid of the ball quite often almost instantly even if he isn't facing any kind of pressure.

STEVEHOLT said:
This guy just doesnt look very good at anything. He looks like a bench guy that can spell a starter for a few minutes before he is exposed. Slow, small, cant shoot. I used to like him a bit with his little jumpers, but thats gone now.

Can't shoot but he's our third best shooter, and it's not even close.

Kaleb will make believers of you people before his career goes much farther. Some of the analysis are just plain wrong but there is much truth to many of them. His strength will improve and this year will look like a mirage once he starts his sophomore season. He has already learned to look for teammates in shooting areas while early in the season he had no clue.

His coaches have all talked about how hard he works, so my confidence in him improving dramatically is very high. Very few freshman can improve during their first season. Strength doesn't just happen the minute someone steps into the gym. The speed of the game also takes time to adjust to at this level of competition. There are no easy targets like in high school or AAU.

My only concern is he is so lost on defense and keeps his hands down by his sides all the time. That is the only troubling aspect I see at this time. Hopefully its just a symptom of having so much to learn all at once.

As for shooting - he certainly can. He just needs to learn when to pull up and when to take his shots. His confidence is so low now he thinks too much instead of just letting it fly.

You all need to remember he is just a freshman before summarily writing him off. He will be missed greatly when he is gone.

IthacaMatt said:
Well, that's not true. He's turning it over less than he did at the beginning of the year. He's taking fewer chances, which has something to do with it. In a sense that's like Tyler Ennis last year - risk averse, which in part is due to what the coach is telling him is important. Kaleb's problems are that his defense is the weakest of any of the rotation guys (as short as that is), his handle is shaky, (which is one of the reasons I am not crazy about forcing SF/2G's into a PG role in college) and he doesn't seem to see the pass as well as most of the kids we've had in this position recently. Kid doesn't seem like he dribbles the ball when he's not at practice. The way you develop a handle is you dribble a ball all the time. It's compulsive, like learning how to cut a deck of cards with one hand, or learning how to spin a frisbee on your finger or ride a unicycle. You have to be obsessed about doing it.

Bad defense, bad handle, bad passer. But other than that he's a solid pg!

SarasotaPaul said:
Kaleb will make believers of you people before his career goes much farther. Some of the analysis are just plain wrong but there is much truth to many of them. His strength will improve and this year will look like a mirage once he starts his sophomore season. He has already learned to look for teammates in shooting areas while early in the season he had no clue. His coaches have all talked about how hard he works, so my confidence in him improving dramatically is very high. Very few freshman can improve during their first season. Strength doesn't just happen the minute someone steps into the gym. The speed of the game also takes time to adjust to at this level of competition. There are no easy targets like in high school or AAU. My only concern is he is so lost on defense and keeps his hands down by his sides all the time. That is the only troubling aspect I see at this time. Hopefully its just a symptom of having so much to learn all at once. As for shooting - he certainly can. He just needs to learn when to pull up and when to take his shots. His confidence is so low now he thinks too much instead of just letting it fly. You all need to remember he is just a freshman before summarily writing him off. He will be missed greatly when he is gone.

Sometimes guys are just busts. It's obviously way too early with kaleb to call him a bust but there's literally nothing I like about his game. Maybe by his junior and senior year he can develop into a decent pg on hopefully loaded teams, but I don't see him as ever being anything more than just ok.