Katz: Southerland lets team down | Syracusefan.com

Katz: Southerland lets team down

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
1. The onus to stay eligible is on the player first, the staff second and the advisor/department officials third. But Syracuse clearly is having problems managing eligibility for the second semester. This is now two seasons in a row where the rest of the players who are doing what they're supposed to be doing are being hurt by one player's inability to stay eligible. Fab Melo disrupted the season last year and clearly hurt Syracuse from reaching the Final Four. Now James Southerland is ineligible for the foreseeable future while a similar issue is being resolved. Southerland has let down his teammates and the staff. Sure, the Orange won without him Saturday over Villanova but there is still a long season and he needs to be on the floor in some form. He hasn't shot the ball as well since going 9-for-13 for 35 points against Arkansas on Nov. 30, going 15-for-55 on 3-pointers since that game. But the threat of Southerland making 3s could be enough of a scouting nightmare for opposing teams. There are plenty of fingers to point because of this transgression. It starts with Southerland.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...72647/3-point-shot-southerland-lets-team-down

I understand that sometimes you may run into a class where a good grade is very tough. Some classes where even passing is tough. But even then, one class should not be enough that you can not keep your eligibility to stay on the court. Especially for a 5th year senior who also spent a year in prep school. I have no idea the specific situation but hope he gets it taken care of.

I agree.
Unfortunately, the coach does not foster a culture in which players are required to take public responsibility for off-court behavior.
They is no reason to have to take "public" responsibility. He has enough facing his teammates and coaches. We think far too highly of ourselves if we to think he owes anything more to us in terms of humiliation. Being on the bench in street cloths is more than sufficient.

I agree.
Unfortunately, the coach does not foster a culture in which players are required to take public responsibility for off-court behavior.

You don't think being forced to sit and watch is part of the culture you are looking for, or did you really just want to take a shot at JB?

no matter the situation it's all on player and just hope the rumored allegations are not true..but this also could help to see how good coleman ,grant and cooney get because of this..

They is no reason to have to take "public" responsibility. He has enough facing his teammates and coaches. We think far too highly of ourselves if we to think he owes anything more to us in terms of humiliation. Being on the bench in street cloths is more than sufficient.

Can I give this 2 likes

Without knowing the circumstances, I will reserve judgement. It was mentioned on this board that his eligibility issues may stem from his time at ND Prep, and if so, I don't see how you could blame him for an institutional issue if at the time he thought he was playing by the rules.

I feel the same frustration not having him in the line-up, but let's not rip a player based on assumptions that may not be valid.

Without knowing the circumstances, I will reserve judgement. It was mentioned on this board that his eligibility issues may stem from his time at ND Prep, and if so, I don't see how you could blame him for an institutional issue if at the time he thought he was playing by the rules.

I feel the same frustration not having him in the line-up, but let's not rip a player based on assumptions that may not be valid.
Yesterday (or maybe Saturday), someone on here (don't remember who) mentioned that Southerland "had enough trouble staying eligible last year"; what Jake told us kind of points NDP as opposed to something that happened here, but if the person who made that statement was in the know...

not sure what you mean by that.
Exactly what didn't he do that he should take responsibility for?

Edit: The answer is none of us knows, so why are we working so hard at placing blame?

Amazingly Cooney is shooting better in the same stretch. 17-50 / 34%

1. The onus to stay eligible is on the player first, the staff second and the advisor/department officials third. But Syracuse clearly is having problems managing eligibility for the second semester. This is now two seasons in a row where the rest of the players who are doing what they're supposed to be doing are being hurt by one player's inability to stay eligible. Fab Melo disrupted the season last year and clearly hurt Syracuse from reaching the Final Four. Now James Southerland is ineligible for the foreseeable future while a similar issue is being resolved. Southerland has let down his teammates and the staff. Sure, the Orange won without him Saturday over Villanova but there is still a long season and he needs to be on the floor in some form. He hasn't shot the ball as well since going 9-for-13 for 35 points against Arkansas on Nov. 30, going 15-for-55 on 3-pointers since that game. But the threat of Southerland making 3s could be enough of a scouting nightmare for opposing teams. There are plenty of fingers to point because of this transgression. It starts with Southerland.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...72647/3-point-shot-southerland-lets-team-down
The issue might not be academics at Syracuse. Just guessing, if he were behind academically he would not have traveled with the team to an away game.

I agree that it is ultimately the job of the player. But, given the fact this has now happened 2 years in a row, wondering if this is indicative of a bigger issue? Any of the below?

a- The wrong type of players being brought in ?
b- The staff not being attentive to this ?
c- The university not finding creative ways to "deal with this" (which I am not "saying" is done by other elite schools but would not surprise me) ?

Just throwing this out there. Could be none of the above. Not saying any of the above are true. just thinking out loud.

Exactly what didn't he do that he should take responsibility for?

Edit: The answer is none of us knows, so why are we working so hard at placing blame?

I think anytime you are suspended, there is a reason behind it.

on marshall st the word was like any young guy hanging out with to many woman and hung out with the wrong girl and she turned him in..but we all know rumors hurt look at scoop last year or the year before with the gambling.
For what?

on marshall st the word was like any young guy hanging out with to many woman and hung out with the wrong girl and she turned him in..but we all know rumors hurt look at scoop last year or the year before with the gambling.
English, please.

If it's as obvious as that, then I really don't understand your original point?
He probably screwed up but maybe he didn't. There are a lot of things that could have led to his suspension that weren't his fault. I think it's a little bizarre to be blaming someone when we don't know that he did anything wrong and if he did, what it was.

To your last post, maybe you didn't understand why I lol'ed. Yes, undoubtedly there's a reason he got suspended. There's a reason for everything. It normally goes without saying but you said it.